Looking to switch to handbuilt track...?

petejones

As I've been revising my track plan based on further research findings, I'm getting frustrated with the limitations of Peco turnouts (Code 75). So I'm thinking about switching to C&L Finescale and using Templot to draw up a more accurate track diagram. This is my first attempt at OO gauge (I have some previous experience in N Gauge), so was wondering whether it is a good idea to start making my own track? I do want to concentrate on one layout, even if when I get things wrong from time to time (afterall, they can be put right!), rather than do a basic layout first. I can test techniques on a small plank if need be.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I would dive right in, if you have built N gauge track, then you should have no problems with 00. I would recommend that you have a play with Templot, as it's a steep learning curve, but once mastered, it's an invaluable tool. Have a look on the Templot forum for guidance and advice.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

take the plunge, you won't regret it!  I used to build my own track in N, now I've gone to EM.  Get a good set of gauges, a decent soldering iron and have a go!  There's lots of advice on here to help you on your way.  Hardest job is deciding which technique to go for:  fully soldered construction with pcb sleepers, wood and rivet, plastic chairs on timber, commercial track bases.  As you've got a small plank to try things on have a go with them all and settle on one that suits you and what you are looking for.  For the record I'm using the old tried and tested technique of pcb sleepers for every third or fourth sleeper with the rail soldered to these and wood dummy sleepers for the rest.  Definitely old school but it looks good with a bit of care and it works for me!

Roja

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

100% yes. Handbuild track is so satisfying. Or maybe i should say, hand built turnouts, using decent flex for plain track I think is ok, it removes much of the drudgery, hanbuildimg plain track is just boring.

With handbuild turnouuts, you just get a so much better flow of track, nice sweeping curves.

Like you, I built a testrack first using copperclad sleeepers, but the main  event is on ply sleepers with c&l functional chairs.

And yes, templot is also the way to go. Such a fantastic piece of software and @MartinWynne is just so helpful if you have problems. 

Building track is really not that difficult, in fact it's far easier than building an etched loco kit.

Give it a go, there is just so much help on here and the templot forum.

Ian

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

I have just started building my own track recently and i have learnt everything from posters on RMWEB. Having Martin here who wrote Templot is really good, such great advice and posters like Hayfield who also helps out so much and shares his knowledge.

You can print out some really nice point templots and build something that you cannot buy RTR. Looks great in 00 gauge as well.

IMG_20200830_155501.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, petejones said:

Thanks all, I will give it a go. Interestingly, AnyRail now has C&L track and turnouts available, but I will give Templot a try.

I don't use anyrail, but any programme with fixed geometry turnouts is a non starter. The whole point of templot is that the turnouts are designed to fit their locations precisely. If it needs a crossing angle of 8.75 and a radius of 8450mm, then that's what you get. Anyrail can never do that. Steer clear of all point kits for this reason.

Ian

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

The overall look of a layout improves immeasurably when you take the time to model the track as well. This is my current project, a cameo layout that consists of a crossover on gentle curve. I could probably achieve similar with flexi and some Peco points but it still wouldn't look right. I am a stickler for accurate track though. In my biased opinion it may lead you into the dark side of finescale, as it did me.  Making your own custom track and pointwork is a great therapeutic activity the same as making a kit, but you get a few chances to put mistakes right should you make one. Following the excellent advice on this forum and Templot Club will see you right. 

IMG_7896.JPG

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, ianb3174 said:

In my biased opinion it may lead you into the dark side of finescale, as it did me. 

Yes it already has! I just joined the Scale Four Society (I was a member a few years back, but lacked the confidence to try it at the time).

• Like 3

Welcome back to the Scalefour Society.

I wouldn't have dreamt of planning my current layout without Templot.  Trackwork (my first attempt at hand built track in P4) laid on a Templot plan etched in to ply for me by Tim Horn:

spacer.png

Edited by johndon
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/08/2020 at 23:22, petejones said:

Yes it already has! I just joined the Scale Four Society (I was a member a few years back, but lacked the confidence to try it at the time).

I joined the EMGS, a good investment in joining the Scalefour soc, as it will open new doors for you, they sell Exactoscale track parts which are now much cheaper than before and you can buy their track filing jigs, the Vee crossing jig is excellent for accurately filing and soldering up Vees, which soon repays the outlay as the material used in a vee costs pennies. I get on with the switch blade jig, others don't so its a matter of preference

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/08/2020 at 17:33, petejones said:

Thanks all, I will give it a go. Interestingly, AnyRail now has C&L track and turnouts available, but I will give Templot a try.

When starting my current layout, I was faced with the same decision, Phase one (a branch line station) was built using Tillig track and points. Which to my eyes look much nicer than Peco’s. This was designed using AnyRail.

When going on to the main project, the main line junction where the branch line starts. I originally drew it all in AnyRail. But after a loooong period of indecision, I decided to go for the SMP flex track for the lines and Templot points. I ended up using both AnyRail and Templot. So that I have a Model equivalent of a Matte painting as used in movies. Most of the running lines are done in AnyRail. This is then saved as a 1-10 scale graphic file which I them imported as a background in Templot and scaled to the appropriate size to give me a way to match the sections designed in Templot to the running lines.

Edited by Vistisen
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1