Evening Star

Dazza 50 015

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I pre-ordered mine some months ago.   Received the standard e-mail from Hornby this morning that my pre-order was now in stock but the card payment had failed and giving till 8th October before they would cancel the order.  After three unsuccessful on-line attempts to change to use an alternative card I phoned them and they were able to take my original card details over the phone and assured me this was all now OK.   Why, oh why, is there always some sort of hassle with pre-ordered items, whether from Hornby or from retailers.   Following recent experiences with the Terrier, the Captain Tom, the Mk2f coaches and now the Evening Star I am minded to NEVER pre-order ANY items from any manufacturer or retailer ever again.

Edited by cessna152towser
typo
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

When I joined the club in order to purchase their Brighton Works Terrier,I had similar experiences on both card presenting occasions. 

With PayPal....no such difficulties.....despite using the same card.

Their problem.Not yours.   I sent a complaint.It obviously fell on deaf ears.

Simply this should not be happening. Why is this ....lack of joined up customer care  ? If Hornby do graze this forum,then please read,mark,learn and inwardly digest .Then fix it.It is not rocket science.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

11 hours ago, cessna152towser said:

I pre-ordered mine some months ago.   Received the standard e-mail from Hornby this morning that my pre-order was now in stock but the card payment had failed and giving till 8th October before they would cancel the order.  After three unsuccessful on-line attempts to change to use an alternative card I phoned them and they were able to take my original card details over the phone and assured me this was all now OK.   Why, oh why, is there always some sort of hassle with pre-ordered items, whether from Hornby or from retailers.   Following recent experiences with the Terrier, the Captain Tom, the Mk2f coaches and now the Evening Star I am minded to NEVER pre-order ANY items from any manufacturer or retailer ever again.

When I had this problem with a pre release order for the Hornby 100 years book from Gaugemaster, it was explained that their system automatically deleted card details after a certain time had passed.

That meant that when the book was finally released, and available for dispatch, they needed me to confirm the card details again.

It’s one way that places are attempting to minimise the sensitive data held on Their systems...helpful if their system was to be compromised (hacked).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KDG said:

Hi Dazza is this for the kettle or diesel Evening Star?

If you go to Hornby’s website and search for evening star, you will see which particular handle it is that they’re cranking. 
https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/br-92220-evening-star-centenary-year-limited-edition-1971.html

Quite incredibly they’re sold out. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, truffy said:

If you go to Hornby’s website and search for evening star, you will see which particular handle it is that they’re cranking. 
https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/br-92220-evening-star-centenary-year-limited-edition-1971.html

Quite incredibly they’re sold out. 

Headed I imagine for the “Collectors” market for onward eBay profit.,spurred on by the heady heights achieved recently by R 3819.

The comparison ends there however for this is an entirely different model in terms of quality,especially when you consider Bachmann’s 9F is always available.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Adding text
  • Agree 3

53 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

this is an entirely different model in terms of quality,especially when you consider Bachmann’s 9F is always available.

My thoughts exactly, Ian! Which is why I’m so gobsmacked that it’s flying off the shelf, even if there are ‘only’ 1000. 

I’ll stick with my B. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, truffy said:

My thoughts exactly, Ian! Which is why I’m so gobsmacked that it’s flying off the shelf, even if there are ‘only’ 1000. 

I’ll stick with my B. 

Depends what you want. If you're nostalgic for the Triang one this is pretty accurate.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

17 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Depends what you want. If you're nostalgic for the Triang one this is pretty accurate.

That's a lovely way of putting it...a model that's an accurate representation of an inaccurate (or, rather, less accurate) model of the prototype. Glass half full! :good_mini:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, truffy said:

The magic of a near legendary brand name. The Bachmann is in every way superior, except that it has the wrong maker's name on it for a certain sector of OO RTR purchasers.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, sandwich station said:

The Hornby 9F's are quite ecceptable to a lot of people. I will admit that side by side the Bachmann looks the better model but generally it also costs more.

But in this case that does not apply. You cannot seriously compare the two . Hornby 9F is for those who stick to the brand. .....as has been posted above.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, sandwich station said:

I'm sure that if Bachmann had not produced their 9F, Hornby would have produced a modern super detailed version by now but what is the point when you have the Bachmann version and the Railroad version still sells.

Which is fine if you are working to a price point.But even that doesn’t apply with this current edition which IMHO is stretching credibility beyond  what I consider acceptable limits.No thank you.

• Agree 3

40 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Which is fine if you are working to a price point.But even that doesn’t apply with this current edition which IMHO is stretching credibility beyond  what I consider acceptable limits.No thank you.

Agreed. This 'centennial packaging' BS is just being used to 'milk it'.

It's cynical and, yes, disgusting.

• Funny 1

4 minutes ago, truffy said:

Agreed. This 'centennial packaging' BS is just being used to 'milk it'.

It's cynical and, yes, disgusting.

Really looking forward to mine! Complements my 2012 40th anniversary edition and I’ve got the black 1 to 1 arriving tomorrow. Love the Centennial packaging! I get great pleasure from, erm, disgusting. LoL.  

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

The magic of a near legendary brand name. The Bachmann is in every way superior, except that it has the wrong maker's name on it for a certain sector of OO RTR purchasers.

Hornby one pulls more though.

I find my Bachmann ones a little light.

The pony truck, motion and tender let the Hornby one down, at 2020 standard, all of which the recent Crosti 9F could address, and kind of surprised hasn't. But the tooling has aged better than most.

Still surprised it was picked for 100 years, its been done, done and thrice done as a model. That said 35028 Clan Line has been well done too and thats made the cut too. Though I guess the theme of 100 years was celebrating best sellers, and arguably I guess it was.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

There are so many good points made above that quoting them all gets messy. One area where the Hornby scores is having the drive in the firebox rather than only half-hidden behind the motion. Overall, the Bachmann is superior and offers more variety but, in my view, the Hornby isn’t disgraced beside the Bachmann if not examined too closely. It’s a shame that Hornby didn’t put more effort into the Crosti, especially the pony truck, but it appeared at a time when Hornby was doing very odd things.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Interesting, the New R3941 Black 9F has the DDC socket in the tender (with tender pickups) and it's sound ready! So I guess Evening Star will be the same.

Original Triang-Hornby body, new(er) chassis - though not the same as the Crosti, with the old tender body on the new RR tender chassis! No more empty Ringfield housing! 

DSCN9617.JPG

DSCN9618.JPG

Edited by miles73128
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 28/09/2020 at 10:26, cessna152towser said:

Experiencing the exact same issue. I've gone in to my order to try to make on-line payment with the same card and also another, but if fails, and then tried to phone them, but no answer all morning, so followed up with an email to which I've now got an automated response saying that there's a 2 week delay in actioning emails due to covid. Having failed to get Captain Tom after not being told I was on a waiting list even though clearly showed as available when ordered Hornby customer services is not showing itself in a good light. Surely if you have such a back log of customer emails then it shows either you need to bring staff back to answer them or you're just not doing a good job.

I'll have to try ringing them again tomorrow.

• Agree 1