Evening Star

Dazza 50 015

12 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

What goes up must come down.

i suspect some are getting carried away with the 100 year thing.

Yes theres been some gems.. Rocket, Metal Duchess.

Ive found the Black Princess, Merton, W4 to be personally interesting (but not at premium)

And i’d consider 4498 given how it is presented, but i’m so/so.

But Tinplate, Evening star, Smokey Joe and Clan Line hold nothing for me.

I probably am ! Agree the metal Duchess and Triang Rocket are the stand outs. Had to have Smokey Joe as well-just for fun. But the box/presentation of Evening Star is really something. Rovex set is my final, that looks very promising. 
I can just remember, as a small boy, my Grandfather explaining about 9F when I was about 5, so even at £150, I had to have this one! Nostalgia eh?  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 08/10/2020 at 01:33, miles73128 said:

Bloody hell that’s insane. Even the Gold Plated Clan Line is £50 cheaper than that on their website. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My order from Hattons was cancelled today. Too late to get one from Hornby. This is the 3rd time this year that I have been let down on Limited editions. I didn't get the centenary Rocket, the Duchess of Atholl and now Evening Star. It seams to me that when it comes to Limited editions it is pot luck whether you get one or not. I don't think I will bother in future.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

24 minutes ago, Robert Scott said:

My order from Hattons was cancelled today. Too late to get one from Hornby. This is the 3rd time this year that I have been let down on Limited editions. I didn't get the centenary Rocket, the Duchess of Atholl and now Evening Star. It seams to me that when it comes to Limited editions it is pot luck whether you get one or not. I don't think I will bother in future.

Give Derails, Colletts of Exmouth or the Bure Valley model shop a call.

These outlets recently (this week) had some for pre-order at the normal -10% Hornby price reduction of £134.99 rather than the ridiculously inflated prices we've seen of late.

They are all small businesses who punch well above their weight and provide excellent customer service.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Agree 4

I got one from Bure Valley models earlier this week. I hadn't pre-ordered but had been keeping an eye open for them to start arriving and noticed they had a couple in stock. My late father had the original Tri-ang model and so, although it doesn't really fit with my planned layout, I was quite keen to pick one up. Now I just need to find some coaches for it to run "heritage railtours" with :)

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Robert Scott said:

Sorry to hear that Robert; you've really not had much luck. I hope you manage to find one for a reasonable price.

• Friendly/supportive 1

22 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Give Derails, Colletts of Exmouth or the Bure Valley model shop a call.

These outlets recently (this week) had some for pre-order at the normal -10% Hornby price reduction of £134.99 rather than the ridiculously inflated prices we've seen of late.

They are all small businesses who punch well above their weight and provide excellent customer service.

Unfortunately none of these had any stocks. 

10 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Robert,

Did you call them or look online as some are still shown as pre-orders and not sold out ?

Yes I called them, just one hope, one of the shops had a spare, but won't be able to let me have it at the moment. I am on the waiting list.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Sadly not the triang molding at all. This molding version is the new one made in china from 1999 onwards The main difference with this version to the true Triang version is rods for the regulator are made of wire the original was molded onto the body very crudely. the smoke box door has a wire handrail and the loco handrails are all seperate fittings which was done in the 1980's by Hornby and the valve gear on these is a china made and is in a finer style to the basic one of the triang version

4 hours ago, hallmodelspares said:

Sadly not the triang molding at all. This molding version is the new one made in china from 1999 onwards The main difference with this version to the true Triang version is rods for the regulator are made of wire the original was molded onto the body very crudely. the smoke box door has a wire handrail and the loco handrails are all seperate fittings which was done in the 1980's by Hornby and the valve gear on these is a china made and is in a finer style to the basic one of the triang version

I'm happy to be corrected, but although the 9F mould (like a number of other ex-Triang moulds) has been substantially re-engineered over the years I believe it is still derived from the original tools. Many of the ex-Margate moulds had moulded details replaced with separate parts when they were overhauled in China. The main boiler handrails were changed to separate wire fittings in the early 1990s before the move to China, but subsequently it has gained sprung buffers, loco drive and glazing. That is why the regular release is a Railroad one, which was primarily used for upgraded older tools. A few models have been created from scratch for the Railroad range (particularly during the 'design clever' period), notably 'Tornado', 'Duke of Gloucester' and the train set 'Flying Scotsman', but the majority make use of former main range models that have been superceded either by Hornby or other makers. 

Edited by andyman7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/10/2020 at 12:53, adb968008 said:

Covid has become an excuse for bad customer service ive found.

Been trying for a boiler service for 6 months now... getting the engineer isnt the problem, getting the Admin to book it is... 480 minutes wait on one call, just to get through.. If i dont do it through the right channel.. kiss those warranties goodbye.

I had a similar experience getting my car booked in, car insurance, you name it... covid definitely has constrained businesses phone and email abilities for sure.

You obviously live in the wrong place

Ring up local Worcester Bosch approved engineer, immediate response "When would be convenient" date booked to suit both.

Car needs Service and first MOT, Ring up "When would be convenient" again suitable date booked.

No problem whatsoever.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, andyman7 said:

A few models have been created from scratch for the Railroad range (particularly during the 'design clever' period), notably 'Tornado', 'Duke of Gloucester' and the train set 'Flying Scotsman', but the majority make use of former main range models that have been superceded either by Hornby or other makers. 

Plus the P2

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, andyman7 said:

If someone is still looking for one of these, the Hobby Shop Faversham still has stock - at £130 post paid so a marked contrast to some outlets.

Thanks for that.  I succumbed at that price.  Looks like I got their last one.  Now do I put it in the cupboard al g with the Rocket..... 

19 hours ago, Lexington said:

Thanks for that.  I succumbed at that price.  Looks like I got their last one.  Now do I put it in the cupboard al g with the Rocket..... 

Depends what you want it for. I put my Atholl away, but that's because I bought it as a collectible item.

• 4 weeks later...