Evening Star

Dazza 50 015

17 hours ago, Turnesc said:

Experiencing the exact same issue. I've gone in to my order to try to make on-line payment with the same card and also another, but if fails, and then tried to phone them, but no answer all morning, so followed up with an email to which I've now got an automated response saying that there's a 2 week delay in actioning emails due to covid. Having failed to get Captain Tom after not being told I was on a waiting list even though clearly showed as available when ordered Hornby customer services is not showing itself in a good light. Surely if you have such a back log of customer emails then it shows either you need to bring staff back to answer them or you're just not doing a good job.

I'll have to try ringing them again tomorrow.

That’s curious. Not all work can be done from home but dealing with e-mails is something which can be. If anything, thanks to people needing jobs which can be done from home, Covid should make more people available to deal with e-mails, not fewer.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

That’s curious. Not all work can be done from home but dealing with e-mails is something which can be. If anything, thanks to people needing jobs which can be done from home, Covid should make more people available to deal with e-mails, not fewer.

I've never got anything other than an automated response to an email but phone calls have been fine. Go figure.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Covid has become an excuse for bad customer service ive found.

Been trying for a boiler service for 6 months now... getting the engineer isnt the problem, getting the Admin to book it is... 480 minutes wait on one call, just to get through.. If i dont do it through the right channel.. kiss those warranties goodbye.

I had a similar experience getting my car booked in, car insurance, you name it... covid definitely has constrained businesses phone and email abilities for sure.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, miles73128 said:

Interesting, the New R3941 Black 9F has the DDC socket in the tender (with tender pickups) and it's sound ready! So I guess Evening Star will be the same.

Original Triang-Hornby body, new(er) chassis - though not the same as the Crosti, with the old tender body on the new RR tender chassis! No more empty Ringfield housing! 

DSCN9617.JPG

DSCN9618.JPG

Removing the outer most drivers window, and a copper highlight pen on the pipes under the cab transform Hornby 9f’s...

490AC56B-FCD7-4E70-8723-F8DF1248BA48.jpeg.6e1511486c76ebfe53be007851b78c38.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

I have very fond memories of my dad's old late 70s/early 80s Evening Star, despite it eventually failing with coupling rods that continually stuck. (The tender drive kept it going but with no driving wheel action!) I thought it about time I had my own! I know it's not the best 9F model available, but the newer mechanism is excellent from what I've seen, and the sentimental value of it is a big factor! Add in the replica plaque, and I was sold!

I did order one from Rails, but sadly that won't be happening (though I've not had confirmation of its cancellation!) I have, hopefully, managed to source one elsewhere, and if they've started to arrive at Hornby, they'll presumably begin arriving with the retailers soon!

Cheers

J

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I've so often moaned lately about pre-orders either cancelled or delivered long after everyone else had theirs, but Hornby has come good on this one.  The joint Hornby/DPD message on Friday said it would come on Monday, but it arrived at lunchtime today (Sunday).   Packaging was excellent, two brown stout cardboard boxes, one inside the other.  A lovely model complete with the cast replica plaque and a metal stand for the plaque.  The little cellophane bag includes cast nameplates but the one finishing touch it lacks is a footplate crew.    Test run, and runs beautifully.  I bought one of the original Triang-Hornby Evening Stars nigh on fifty years ago, but it was a poor runner, tender drive, and the driving wheels often locked up so I traded it for something else after a few years.  Nostalgia made me go for this special issue, first time for many years I have owned a ten-coupled loco.

IMG_5103.JPG

Edited by cessna152towser
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, JaymzHatstand said:

I have very fond memories of my dad's old late 70s/early 80s Evening Star, despite it eventually failing with coupling rods that continually stuck. (The tender drive kept it going but with no driving wheel action!) I thought it about time I had my own! I know it's not the best 9F model available, 

Very authentic (this shot has been on RMweb before - elsewhere)

J

9F 2 10 0 92220 Evening Star repairs Cardiff E Dock 24 8 1964.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 3
  • Funny 2

Finally had a response from Hornby on my order and to say there customer service is appalling is being too kind to them. 

My order has now disappeared from my account and they claim to have left me a voice mail. Can't even see Evening Star on the web site any more. My email tells me to ring them now tomorrow morning to order again.

This will be the 2nd limited edition in a row that Hornby have messed up the order on.

• Friendly/supportive 5

After missing each other twice yesterday a nice lady at Hornby sorted my order. Hopefully should arrive in a few days.

It looks like they have a few issues with the website and back end processes, but all sorted now.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, miles73128 said:

And that truly beggars belief.But hang on there a minute,we’ve recently seen R3819 Duchess of Atholl pass the £500 mark so why indeed should I be incredulous at this taking of the p### ?  Somebody out there will pay it I expect.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

And that truly beggars belief.But hang on there a minute,we’ve recently seen R3819 Duchess of Atholl pass the £500 mark so why indeed should I be incredulous at this taking of the p### ?  Somebody out there will pay it I expect.

The difference being that the Duchess was an innovative new idea released in smaller numbers.  Evening Star is pretty much the same model that has been done to death over the years.  So I get why the Duchess went sky high, but I'm perplexed as to why the 9f would sell out tbh. 

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Lexington said:

The difference being that the Duchess was an innovative new idea released in smaller numbers.  Evening Star is pretty much the same model that has been done to death over the years.  So I get why the Duchess went sky high, but I'm perplexed as to why the 9f would sell out tbh. 

Well I think most of us will agree with that.But maybe a lot of Hornby fans won’t contemplate or appreciate the difference in quality. Brand loyalty ? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Well I think most of us will agree with that.But maybe a lot of Hornby fans won’t contemplate or appreciate the difference in quality. Brand loyalty ? 

The box? The collector urge?

Because if you wanted a model of Evening Star you'd go buy the Bachmann one.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I think brand loyalty only goes so far.  I bought the Tri-ang Rocket simply for the packaging, I'm noted as a contrubutor to Pat Hammond's Tri-ang trilogy, I think the Evening Star was a major milestone and is still a fine model, but haven't been tempted at £150!  So brand loyalty only goes do far.  For me anyway. 

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, 30801 said:

The box? The collector urge?

Because if you wanted a model of Evening Star you'd go buy the Bachmann one.

Which  I duly did.Many years ago when it was first released. I think clever marketing by Hornby in seemingly creating a scarcity in supply is fuelling demand for this release. Well if it fills the coffers then so be it.Cash to finance new developments .

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Well if it fills the coffers then so be it.Cash to finance new developments .

True. Mustn't grumble too much. There are a good many shiny new things this year.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What goes up must come down.

i suspect some are getting carried away with the 100 year thing.

Yes theres been some gems.. Rocket, Metal Duchess.

Ive found the Black Princess, Merton, W4 to be personally interesting (but not at premium)

And i’d consider 4498 given how it is presented, but i’m so/so.

But Tinplate, Evening star, Smokey Joe and Clan Line hold nothing for me.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

But Tinplate, Evening star, Smokey Joe and Clan Line hold nothing for me.

I did get a Smokey Joe even though he's a bit gaudy. That's _my_ era of box art and it was only forty quid.