Which paint stripper???

A recent Ebay purchase arrived that are going to be in need of restoration. I'm braking the coaches down so the restoration can begin but I want to paint strip the sides as I'm thinking about repainting them into carmine & cream. I don't know what paint was used on these...enamel or acrylic. What is the best paint stripper to use?

IMG_1876.JPG

IMG_1881.JPG

Hi

I havevjust used, for the first time, IPA diluted by 10% on a Bachmann Class 66 and it has been superb.

I used to use Phoenix Superstrip but it has become extremely expensive.

The IPA is really cheap to buy and does as good a job.

regards

john

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'll ask on here rather than start a new thread:

I'm working on a 7mm Mitchell brass 45xx and have changed the cab plates and swapped safety valve bonnet and added a missing handrail so its needs stripping and repainting but ideally I am looking to just strip selected areas- tank and cab sides, probably the boiler barrel.

I dont really want to immerse the whole thing in IPA or similar as the backplate etc is nicely done and fixed and I dont know if the details such as lamp irons are soldered or glued. Plus it usually makes a hell of a mess and dont want to be scrubbing paint away round fine details.

Any recommendations for stripping selected areas such as tank sides? I presume something like nitromors gel is a bit heavy duty to be putting on an expensive model? 

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Premium
On 29/01/2021 at 14:46, Rumblestripe said:

whatever you use, try a little bit on a hidden bit of the model before dunking the whole thing.

Ah but that would be cheating! IPA repeatedly wiped on with a cotton bud and wire wool once the paint softened did the trick 

20210201_201415.jpg.5c67c24d5c5a9b5817762111389f6a64.jpg