Quayside Layout (as yet not named, just a idea)

• RMweb Premium

I managed to purchase the Faller kit (120275)segment turntable some months ago, it’s still in its shrink wrapping.

Im hoping to build a Quay/Harbour layout which will incorporate it.

It will act as substitute for a couple of points to some low relief warehouse and as a engine release from the incoming goods line.

I imagine the line coming from the left (hidden by a building)

At the rear of the layout low relief warehouses and at right hand end further warehouses etc which I could shunt one or two wagons into.

The motive power being 0-4-0 / 0-6-0 steam or diesel 

Well at least that is the theory and all to be housed on a 60” * 18” Tim Horn baseboard which I  already have.

The fiddleyard would be a additional 12” / 18”

I would like the Quayside to be at the front very much like Canute Quay

All I need now is a suitable plan.

All ideas and plans would be most welcome.

I need this project for the winter months as I’ll will have plenty of time with no Stafford Exhibition to be involved in exhibition bookings.

Keep safe 

Terry 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

Just a thought Terry, but what do you know about the backwaters of Plymouth? Victoria Wharf.......ooooh.....suits you sir!!!!

Disgusting of Market Harborough

Indeed, plenty of backwater interest around Plymouth! The book Plymouth's Hidden Railways, by Paul Burkhalter (Twelveheads Press 2017) is now out of print, but well worth hunting down.

image.png.a2900065c316bcc0064b78ccfb7b49e6.png

I'll just leave this here, so you know what to look for (but mainly cos the top photo is the aforementioned Victoria Wharf...)

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

8 minutes ago, HillsideDepot said:

Indeed, plenty of backwater interest around Plymouth! The book Plymouth's Hidden Railways, by Paul Burkhalter (Twelveheads Press 2017) is now out of print, but well worth hunting down.

I'll just leave this here, so you know what to look for (but mainly cos the top photo is the aforementioned Victoria Wharf...)

Interesting to see the inset dual gauge track.  Would that have been throw back to Broad gauge days on the GWR?  Would look good on a model.

Paul

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Flying Fox 34F said:

Interesting to see the inset dual gauge track.  Would that have been throw back to Broad gauge days on the GWR?  Would look good on a model.

Paul

I was wondering the same, though the wagon in the top right would date the photo well after broad gauge, I would have thought?

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your help chaps

A very inspirational photograph, I would like to get hold of a copy of the book , but seems to out of print, and no one seems to have one for sale.

Please feel free to post any more info or track plans.

Keep safe everybody 

Terry 

On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 11:10, HillsideDepot said:

I have found this to be fascinating book, and I'm not even interested in Plymouth!

Stu

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not sure if I’m gong to proceed with this particular project as yet.

I would also like to build a small western/southern region branch line set at the end of steam,

I have not built a BLT for over 35 years 

So I’m not sure which of the above  I will build first.

Still need to complete another micro layout called  “Margret Street”  a western region green diesels stabling point with a parcels line.

To confuse matters even more I have another layout that just wants wiring up and scenics completing (track plan as “Carron Road“  or more recently “Yappington” which recently appeared in RM Not sure if I will complete it or sell it.

Terry 

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well here we are at the end of 2020 and the Western Region stabling port ( Margaret Street ) is nearing completion.

Based in late the 1960s with either Steam or Green Diesel or even both, a small outpost from the main shed serving the local docks and parcels depot, all of course completion fiction.

I have decided the next project/micro layout will be based on a inglenook on similar lines to “Dock Street”

Dave you will pleased to hear that it will either be one three way point or perhaps two small radius points.

Using code peco code 100 track as I’m trying to use items I have in stock from other projects to keep costs down.

It will be on Tim Horn baseboard 48” x 12”

Thinking it  be analogue for change ( jury out on that decision)

All for now 

Happy New Year to all 

Terry