Industrial loco ID or location

dagrizz

I've been looking through some old slides and my filing system has not been as accurate as I'd like. I have two shots of a loco that I think may have been at a museum site in Runcorn, June 1980. Can anyone confirm please?

run1_jun80.JPG.e414c26d05a0d1051264830558065003.JPG

run2_jun80.JPG.a9468983fb67bd474cb62a3b5c47ae52.JPG

Thanks

Graham

• Like 2

Thanks for that. The scenery in the background suggests a river/estuary, which fits with my records that suggest I took pictures of a loco at a Runcorn museum in June 1980. Is there a source that can give me a history of such a loco. The MOSI website is not helpful.

Graham

I can now say that I was in Runcorn for one weekend in June 80 (I didn't go there very often) and that the photos were probably taken Sunday 22nd June 1980. But where? My friends diary mentions a visit to Greenhouse Farm but that might be a red herring. 

Graham 

I think it's by Trafford Docks in Manchester waiting to be moved. I think that's the Ship Canal in the background.

Can't think of any museums in Runcorn. Not with any railway connections.

Some history here. But much of it doesn't seem right to me. ISTR it was in working order when in Manchester Science and Industry museum and was sold when it needed an overhaul. It used to give brake van rides along side the Agecroft Power Station loco.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/works-no-1964-spitfire-0-4-0st/

Jason

• Thanks 1

Checking back through the Industrial Railway Society's "EL" books and update bulletins, 5EL (corrected to 01/01/1979) has the locomotive located at Trafford Park.  An update (bulletin 295) in December 1980 reports the closure of the "Runcorn Transport Collection" and the loco moving to MOSI (or the "North Western Museum", as it then was). 

The Runcorn Transport Collection was first recorded in an earlier bulletin (270, August 1979), the arrival of AB 1964 there being recorded in bulletin 287, dated June 1980.

Given that entries are not dated, the actual movements may have occurred up to a couple of months before the date of the bulletin.

• Like 1

It seems to have been a short-lived preservation venture, but as I'm unfamiliar with that part of Cheshire, I can only go by reports.  Besides the Barclay saddle-tank, there appear to have been up to three Motor Rail 2'0" gauge diesels.

I wonder whether Dagrizz photographed any other items at the site?

I've found another mention in IRS bulletin 268 (August 1979) that the "Cheshire Transport Society, Runcorn" had purchased AB 1964.  

• Thanks 1