Bachmann Bulleid Coaches

Wilko1972

Bachmann's all new Bulleid coaches are not due out yet, so these will be Bachmann's first effort into the coach stock back in the early 1990s. The only thing that changed over the years was the replacement of plastic wheels with metal ones. They are ok even if lacking flush glazing and other issues. Obviously not up to modern standards but better than any of Hornby's 1980s and 1990s stuff (well, some of their former Dapol/Airfix gets close).

£20 is not a bad price. 

• Agree 3

22 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Bachmann's all new Bulleid coaches are not due out yet, so these will be Bachmann's first effort into the coach stock back in the early 1990s. The only thing that changed over the years was the replacement of plastic wheels with metal ones. They are ok even if lacking flush glazing and other issues. Obviously not up to modern standards but better than any of Hornby's 1980s and 1990s stuff (well, some of their former Dapol/Airfix gets close).

£20 is not a bad price. 

That's because that's what they are.

These were unreleased Airfix models. They were in the background in one of the Airfix catalogues.

http://www.airfixrailways.co.uk/CatTeasers.htm

Acquired by Mainline, but Mainline also disappeared before they were finished. 

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The existing Bulleid coaches are "undernourished" in every dimension. 
I'm waiting for the new ones to appear, but they were announced a long, long time ago and I'm beginiing to fear that I may not live long enough! ;-)

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

That's because that's what they are.

These were unreleased Airfix models. They were in the background in one of the Airfix catalogues.

http://www.airfixrailways.co.uk/CatTeasers.htm

Acquired by Mainline, but Mainline also disappeared before they were finished. 

Jason

Pedantic mode (On) :- The 1979 Airfix catalouge snippet shows a Bulleid  CK with 10" deep window ventilators, whereas the Bachmann versions are based on the BR(S) built stock which had 15" deep sliding vents. Pedantic mode (Off).

More here https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/16850-new-batch-of-bulleid-coaches/

All the best.

According to Pat Hammond in Ramsay's British Model Trains catalogue Airfix produced some drawings and sample models (presumably made up from kits them available), while Palitoy had intended to release them in 1985 under the Mainline label. It took a further 8 years for them to appear as part of the Bachmann range, 3 years after the Bachmann Branch line range had started and before which Replica had released  other models intended originally for Mainline. Does raise the question of how ready for manufacture they were in 1985 as it would seem they should have appeared earlier than their 1993 introduction.

Edited by Butler Henderson

• RMweb Gold

Here is what could have been...

It does refer to 2 of a minimum of 3 Bulleid coaches existing in drawings, which could suggest why there was a delay.

http://www.replicarailways.co.uk/images/stories/Downloads/5yrplan1986.pdf

wish lists existed in the 1980’s, but a few notes there.. the Dukedog was already drawn, and they cautioned demand of only 5000 units for a class 59.
It does refer to 2 of a minimum of 3 Bulleid coaches existing in drawings.

The approach to BR era EMUs seems to be consistent with Bachmanns approach... CEP, BIG, TC.., does that mean REP next ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Here is what could have been...

It does refer to 2 of a minimum of 3 Bulleid coaches existing in drawings, which could suggest why there was a delay.

http://www.replicarailways.co.uk/images/stories/Downloads/5yrplan1986.pdf

wish lists existed in the 1980’s, but a few notes there.. the Dukedog was already drawn, and they cautioned demand of only 5000 units for a class 59.
It does refer to 2 of a minimum of 3 Bulleid coaches existing in drawings.

The approach to BR era EMUs seems to be consistent with Bachmanns approach... CEP, BIG, TC.., does that mean REP next ?

Thanks for sharing that fascinating document!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bigherb said:

They weren't that brilliant, with raised door outlines, heavy screw heads, rubber corridor connectors which all mine rotted away. Always looked a bit short in body depth to me. The Hornby version is far superior.

Img_3011.jpg.22dfb61c6ee1ad5c58c87183c4107920.jpg

Indeed though the Hornby version uses the Maunsell under frame. So not a pure Bulleid. 

That said, I would agree that a few of the Hornby versions would make a better stand in, in the long run until the all new Bachmann ones come out.

You can run the all new Hornby with the eventual all new Bachmann without them looking out of place (if the colours match up of course).

A rake could look odd if you were to mix old and new Bachmann Bulleids.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Indeed though the Hornby version uses the Maunsell under frame. So not a pure Bulleid. 

Just to be clear, that is prototypically correct, I think?  Just before somebody misconstrues your statement.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Just to be clear, that is prototypically correct, I think?  Just before somebody misconstrues your statement.

Gould describes the new underframes as 'similar' to those under Maunsell coaches, but as they were constructed in 1940, and then had to await peace before the bodies were built, they are not actually Maunsell underframes as such. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

24 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Gould describes the new underframes as 'similar' to those under Maunsell coaches, but as they were constructed in 1940, and then had to await peace before the bodies were built, they are not actually Maunsell underframes as such. 

Perhaps it would be better to say they used Maunsell designed underframes, and also basically Maunsell interior designs too, so at that time they were eveolutionary developments of Maunsell stock, with the new curved side profile and different window shapes being the most noticeable differences. After the multi-door Bulleids he started to get more adventurous with the designs, although even the later multi-door stock was built on longer underframes to set that standard for a long time to come.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, SRman said:

Perhaps it would be better to say they used Maunsell designed underframes, and also basically Maunsell interior designs too, so at that time they were eveolutionary developments of Maunsell stock, with the new curved side profile and different window shapes being the most noticeable differences. After the multi-door Bulleids he started to get more adventurous with the designs, although even the later multi-door stock was built on longer underframes to set that standard for a long time to come.

I have always believed that Bulleid's design had far more influence on the BR Mk1 than that of any other Big 4 carriage-builder. 

• Agree 11

49 minutes ago, GeoffBird said:

Let's hope that Hornby produce some of theirs in crimson & cream in 2021 to fill in the early 1950's gap.

As long as Hornby remember to use their ' as built ' tooling. The coaches were still fairly

new when they were painted blood and custard, so the patched and part re-panelled

tooling is only applicable for post 1960(ish).

I'm certainly up for a set in blood and custard. ( Hope they can improve the glazing ).

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I have always believed that Bulleid's design had far more influence on the BR Mk1 than that of any other Big 4 carriage-builder. 

Definitely, apart from the layouts in the Brake coaches. The similarities of the FK, CK, SK and SO types were too close to be coincidence (using the post-1956 classifications).

• Agree 1

Very debatable.

I consider the BR Mark One to be more of a LMS design with slight improvements. Look at the Portholes. Apart from the gangways and toilet windows they are virtually a Mark One.

The interior layout is pure LMS.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87789-Bachmann-lms-d2159-d2168-d2170-porthole-review/

Jason

The Mk1 was an amalgamation of influences from several earlier designs though - to be honest - I've not identified anything definitely LNER !  ..... the length and continuously-curved bodyside were Bulleid's, the centre-trussed underframe and all steel construction stemmed from Stanier prototypes and the bogies were a variant on Swindon practice : interior layout ? - how many ways can you fit the required items into a 63' bodyshell ? - the available space determines the layout for most carriages though, of course, you may be able to size your brake compartment to suit a preferred layout.

• Agree 2