Steel co of Wales Alco,s

mervyn

I thought the two surviving examples were the ones on the Nene Valley Railway?

Photos from 2017 when I went to the Class 31 anniversary event that they held........

804 Pretending to be a Union Pacific switcher at the Railworld "complex" at the Peterborough end of the line.

17-2135.jpg.ec080fb5ca23c8b17f10f30781cc9e40.jpg

The other one - 801 - was at Ferry Meadows and seemed to be having its cab rebuilt so it could be used on the line. Was told the restoration was by one individual, so don't know how much further it has progressed.

17-2128.jpg.8e324de5752a3b2d61e45309278d92bb.jpg

I think two others were "preserved" but they seem to have been scrapped.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mervyn said:

Pretty sure one down south Cholsey ? was quietly scrapped but I think one emigrated up north ?

The one "up North" is #801, the Blue one at the NVR, which seems to have been at Oswestry, the Aln Valley Railway and a scrapyard, in that order, prior to appearing at the Nene Valley!

The Cholsey one , I think, was owned by some outfit calling itself the "American Railroad Centre" and that was later scrapped.

The "Union Pacific" one was up for sale 7 years ago, but obviously didn't get any takers. What its future holds is anyones guess, but the whole "Railworld" site looked on its last legs back in 2017, from what I saw.....

Edited by Johann Marsbar
Additional info
  • Like 1