Central Wales line freight

Chaps. Just a few things to fill gaps in my knowledge. I'm assuming that freight traffic in diesel days to Llandeilo and Llandovery was initially worked by one of the Landore Type3/ Class 37 locos fitted with the car headlights. By the early 80s, the traffic was worked by Class 03 shunters. Now I'm lead to believe this was due to weight issues regarding a bridge on the route. If this is true, which was the bridge and when did the change in locomotion, i.e. the weight restriction, come into force please....

Thank you

Disgusting of Market Harborough 

PS if anybody gets the urge to lob any photos of either 03s or 37s working freight on this line onto this thread, don't hold back!!

Greetings 'disgusting'

I'm not sure about the weight restricted bridge being the reason for the Llandeilo / Llandovery goods being switched from a Cl.37 to Cl.03 duty.

Yes, Glanrhyd bridge was washed away with tragic consequences during the late 1980s, but as far as I recall, there were no apparent pre-existing problems with the bridge.

However, I was under the impression that the 03s were used, as spending on the the p.way maintenance was at a minimum, and the wear and tear imparted by a 'noddy' bouncing along at 25 mph was no where near as severe as 108 tons of a Cl.37, that could be better employed elsewhere, whilst the odd 'noddy' was lying around clicking its' heels at Llanelli or Landore.

A 1980s VHS tape in y possession "Railfreight in the 80s" may be the title, I can always check, has a feature on this freight, with footage of a 'noddy' shunting at Llandovery, or is it Llandeilo.

Traffic by then was domestic coal, feedstuffs and other agricultural essentials and military traffic.

The following three images are from the RCTS Courtney Haydon collection, and show D6933 (GFYE with 'D') circa 1968/1969 with a freight at LLandovery.

Hope this goes some way towards helping out ?

Brian R

B-90-03-Llandovery-D6933.jpg

B-90-04-Llandovery-D6933.jpg

B-90-05-Llandovery-D6933.jpg

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, br2975 said:

Greetings 'disgusting'

I'm not sure about the weight restricted bridge being the reason for the Llandeilo / Llandovery goods being switched from a Cl.37 to Cl.03 duty.

Yes, Glanrhyd bridge was washed away with tragic consequences during the late 1980s, but as far as I recall, there were no apparent pre-existing problems with the bridge.

However, I was under the impression that the 03s were used, as spending on the the p.way maintenance was at a minimum, and the wear and tear imparted by a 'noddy' bouncing along at 25 mph was no where near as severe as 108 tons of a Cl.37, that could be better employed elsewhere, whilst the odd 'noddy' was lying around clicking its' heels at Llanelli or Landore.

A 1980s VHS tape in y possession "Railfreight in the 80s" may be the title, I can always check, has a feature on this freight, with footage of a 'noddy' shunting at Llandovery, or is it Llandeilo.

Traffic by then was domestic coal, feedstuffs and other agricultural essentials and military traffic.

The following three images are from the RCTS Courtney Haydon collection, and show D6933 (GFYE with 'D') circa 1968/1969 with a freight at LLandovery.

Hope this goes some way towards helping out ?

Brian R

B-90-03-Llandovery-D6933.jpg

B-90-04-Llandovery-D6933.jpg

I notice there was an LMS-style 'totem' to the left of the loco in the first photo.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Smashing photos Brian, I assume that the pictures were taken during a break in shunting operations as there is no brake van on the end seemingly! I've got the video you mention and I believe Llandeilo was where they filmed the shunting operations....... your comments on the reason for switching motive power also makes sense to a certain degree, though I bet there was no great rush to bounce up the Central Wales line in an 03 amongst the driving fraternity! Also bearing in mind it was a MWFO working, it would make sense, although if anyone could date this sea-change in motive power I would be grateful...

Jonny- I've seen the thread and the pic mentioned therein, maybe a bit before the period I was interested in though.

Brian W- the reason for the totem is down to the joint LNWR/GWR ownership of the station. I believe the signal box was to an LMS design and the  LNWR engine shed was built on the site of the old GWR shed early in the 20th century........In steam days, the majority of locos used on the line were of LMS origin.......

Any further info would be gratefully received

Disgusting of Market Harborough

17 hours ago, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

Brian W- the reason for the totem is down to the joint LNWR/GWR ownership of the station. I believe the signal box was to an LMS design and the  LNWR engine shed was built on the site of the old GWR shed early in the 20th century........In steam days, the majority of locos used on the line were of LMS origin.......

Llandovery MPD, 1958 - a ramshackle LNWR 'north light' pattern shed.

Photographer unknown.

Llandovery-incl45422,48730-1958-ebay.jpg

• Like 2

Christopher Magner in his self published spiral bound book states that 'from 1st January 1981 there was a ban on locomotives using the line from Craven Arms-Pantyffynnon except for class 03'. The reason given was to save on maintenance costs by reducing wear and tear on track and structures. As we were in a substantial economic recession at the time this certainly makes sense. He goes on to say that class 37's did continue to appear in the early part of the year but as the year wore on it was just the 03's that were used with them being specifically diagrammed for the Llandeilo Jct-Llandovery freight service from the beginning of March. The ban was partially lifted from June 1983.

The book is titled Heart of Wales Line 150 has 120 pages and was published in 2019. Copies may still be available from the author.

Edited by justin
grammar
  • Like 1

I can offer these two of a chance encounter. I was often lucky with trains when I called in at a station on the off-chance, and this was one of those occasions. The date stamp on the prints is August 1965. The location is Builth Road High Level and D6833 was approaching with a short freight. I'm pretty certain it was around mid-afternoon. Sorry about the quality of the pictures it was very dull and raining at the time. (CJL)

D6833 Builth Rd HLevel.jpeg

D6833 at Builth Rd HL.jpeg

• Like 7

On 01/09/2020 at 15:00, br2975 said:

Very off-topic question; does that tape also follow a train of fertilizer to Dereham and Grain to North Elmham in Norfolk?

Saw a film on YouTube once then could never find it again covering various freight in the 80s and I'm pretty sure it started with an 03 in Wales shunting some wagons...

6 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Very off-topic question; does that tape also follow a train of fertilizer to Dereham and Grain to North Elmham in Norfolk?

Saw a film on YouTube once then could never find it again covering various freight in the 80s and I'm pretty sure it started with an 03 in Wales shunting some wagons...

That's the one.

Brian R

• Thanks 1