Towards pre-Grouping carriages in 4mm – the D508 appreciation thread

Interesting.  A similar cut and shut approach was featured in S4News using Ratio sides to produce GWR bogie carriages which resulted in some fine examples that I saw at a Scaleforum.  However, apparently it took two years to produce a rake at which point I decided it would be quicker to build complete kits.  Either way, it amounts to a lot of carriage lining for pre-grouping liveries.  Something not for the faint-hearted.  Mike Trice put some tutorials on YouTube for carriage lining over lockdown if anyone is interested.  (I am currently at that stage).

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Brassey said:

A similar cut and shut approach was featured in S4News using Ratio sides to produce GWR bogie carriages which resulted in some fine examples that I saw at a Scaleforum.  

I saw that being demonstrated, again I think at ExpoEM a couple of years ago - presumably the same person. Apparently it's not practical to mix'n'match Ratio and Triang - the differences in the panelling become too evident when placed side by side. 

1 hour ago, Brassey said:

Mike Trice put some tutorials on YouTube for carriage lining over lockdown if anyone is interested.  (I am currently at that stage).

I'll look those up. But first things first, I think I need to invest in a fine razor saw and mitre block.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

@richbrummitt has provided me with the motivation for starting a carriage-building topic, in the form of an Australian tawny desert wine bottle from which he has, most thoughtfully, removed the contents:

Compound,

What an excellent starting post, full of information and encouragement.

I do have a few kits for ex LSWR and SE&CR 48ft coaches and will look again at these as soon as the latest loco project is completed. I guess one fear is that there is so little data available regarding coaches compared to locomotives. Our photographic inheritance understandably favours locomotives so a lot more research is required to build a model that reflects the prototype. So, a bit more research but that will not discourage me or any modeller from having a go! Thanks.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I'll look those up. But first things first, I think I need to invest in a fine razor saw and mitre block.

I made my own mitre block out of wood cutting the slot with a razor saw as it is vital to get the cut square in both plains and without the saw wandering from side to side.  It took quite a few attempts as cutting things straight is not one of my strengths.

Currently residing in the cabinet of shame, 2 of my cut and shut jobs awaiting lining. Having cut up a few GWR 4 wheel break thirds to make parcel vans, I ended up with a lot of 3rd class compartments.  So I put these together to make a 3rd class carriage.  It was quite a Frankenstein until painted with panels of dark brown, grey and buff plastic.  This made me aware that panels, even from the same model but from different eras, do not necessarily line up.  As a result the cantrail just below the roof is not perfectly straight though should be hidden under lining and the roof line.  The cut lines are where the doors are so this it not so much of a problem.

IMG_0182.jpg.49b072731cb0124a004bad3b83a38376.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 30368 said:

I do have a few kits for ex LSWR and SE&CR 48ft coaches and will look again at these as soon as the latest loco project is completed. I guess one fear is that there is so little data available regarding coaches compared to locomotives. Our photographic inheritance understandably favours locomotives so a lot more research is required to build a model that reflects the prototype. So, a bit more research but that will not discourage me or any modeller from having a go! Thanks.

There are the books by Weddell for the LSWR - rather pricey second hand I fear. SECR carriages are the subject of a recent series of books aren't they? High-class carriage books are always worth the money. Even if all one's modelling turns out worthless (an unbuilt kit commands a higher price than a built one, generally) they retain their value - unless, perhaps, as well-thumbed as my copy of Lacy & Dow! If you can't buy the books, it's worth finding a friend who has them - line societies may be able to help.

The caveat is that books are good for "as built" condition. If you're modelling pre-grouping carriages in "late" condition, then it can be down to odd glimpses in photos. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

There are the books by Weddell for the LSWR - rather pricey second hand I fear. SECR carriages are the subject of a recent series of books aren't they?  High-class carriage books are always worth the money.

The recent series covers LBSCR, not SECR, although there is a fairly recent Lighmoor Press book on  SECR bogie coaches, although sadly  it doesn't cover any SER or LCDR stock.

• Informative/Useful 3

dessertwinebottle.JPG.7eeaed803513c91c09d1511db737117d.JPG.9270c1ff1a7edab511d2afee515fcb62.JPG

2 1/2 inch wide bottle, unusually skinny for a wine bottle......so I'm told.

Older pre-grouping prototypes of carriages and vans require an even flatter curve to their rooves, a much more tee-total affair.  Looking for lager glass vessels to heat-form a plastic roof about needs one somewhere in the 4 to 5 inch diameter range. Usually you end up using pickle jars although once I a had a smooth sided tin can that a beer kit came in.

As a Midland modeller do you have any idea of making an early Pullman style clerestory roof with rounded ends, my last plastic attempt went banana shape as the glue dried out.

Hang on you could have a cheese and pickle sandwich as part of a ploughman's lunch with a glass of beer.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, relaxinghobby said:

As a Midland modeller do you have any idea of making an early Pullman style clerestory roof with rounded ends, my last plastic attempt went banana shape as the glue dried out.

I'm afraid I've never even thought about how to do that. The Midland cars are a little early for my c. 1902 period but some were still in use as picnic saloons and a little later in the motor train experiment using the M&GN 4-4-0Ts. Does anybody know when they first started being used as staff cabins at loco sheds?

There are various LNWR modellers on here such as @Jol Wilkinson and @Penlan who may have some relevant experience with Wolverton diners. Plus there's @AVS1998 who is keen on Brighton Pullman cars.

On the early Midland cars with their open end platforms, the end of the roof droops over the platform in a way that looks particularly tricky to model, especially as its unsupported from below. I know it's not a technique you use @relaxinghobby but it does look like a good candidate for 3D printing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, cheesysmith said:

The all third with 6'6" compartments, wouldn't be possible using either a first compartment shortened or two thirds cut unequally joined together?

The panels between the windows of adjacent thirds are not wide enough for your second suggestion. Thinking about your first suggestion, the spacing between the third and first class compartments of the D512 composite is 6'7½"  + partition thickness, i.e 0.5 mm too great for this job, while the two firsts can of course be butted up with the luggage doors cut out. There's also the extra width of the end panels to deal with. If one ignored that and lived with slightly too wide compartments, one could build a representative model that would scale out at about the right length but it would use up two pairs of composite sides. 

I'm contemplating a similar problem as one of the trains I want to build is a five-coach close-coupled set of 1883 - third brake D504 / third D493 / first D262 / third D493 / third brake D504. The thirds and third brakes are more-or-less straight Slaters kits but the first was 30 ft long with four standard 7'3" first class compartments. One possibility might be to scratchbuild filler pieces of the necessary width.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, relaxinghobby said:

Do you mean one of these (although it's a GN/ECJS coach)

2125440211_Clerestorey1.JPG.7a0a9c3b40a9d12da7d6f0ab7ab74226.JPG

They're quite an awkward shape to replicate. I've another to build, as it's a one off I will use a mix of plastic and balsa.

If anyone finds a bottle or tin can in the shape of a Howlden roof, I'm all ears..

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

There are various LNWR modellers on here such as @Jol Wilkinson and @Penlan who may have some relevant experience with Wolverton diners.

Some kits have a resin roof which I have acquired as a separate item for various projects. 

IIRC Jol’s  LNWR diner and ex-Modellers World kits had a shaped wooden roof. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 02/09/2020 at 08:30, relaxinghobby said:

Older pre-grouping prototypes of carriages and vans require an even flatter curve to their rooves, a much more tee-total affair.  Looking for lager glass vessels to heat-form a plastic roof about needs one somewhere in the 4 to 5 inch diameter range. Usually you end up using pickle jars although once I a had a smooth sided tin can that a beer kit came in.

If you need a long 4" tube could you use waste water pipe as the former?  This is in a very hard plastic (is it a form of ABS?) and may well stand up to boiling water.

Anyone tried it?

Tony

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Rail-Online said:

If you need a long 4" tube could you use waste water pipe as the former?  This is in a very hard plastic (is it a form of ABS?) and may well stand up to boiling water.

As stated above, the principal drawback is that you can't drink the contents first.

For 7 mm scale, looking at standard ABS pipe sizes, 110 mm OD would be about right for an 8 ft radius roof but the next size up, 160 mm, is a bit too big for a 10 ft radius.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just for fun, I’ve also drawn out some of the elegant 54 ft 12-wheelers. Here’s the most numerous of them, the 25 composites built as Lot 110 in 1886 – the last Midland main line carriages to be built without lavatories and with oil lighting. They had three first class compartments flanked on either side by a pair of thirds, and a spacious 7’0” luggage compartment at one end. They were given diagram D507:

1386740510_MRD50754ftcompositeLot110.thumb.png.0100f20c3e38aa115c2eb574d669b308.png

One could probably assemble this from one pair of sides for D504 third brakes and one and a half pairs of sides for D516 composites.

In 1892, twenty of them had one compartment converted to a pair of lavatories serving the adjacent first and third class compartments. They were converted to gas lighting at the same time. According to Lacy & Dow, the diagram, D507A, shows the first class compartment nearest the luggage compartment end converted:

2137035264_MRD507A54ftlavatorycomposite.thumb.png.a08d1569d409047cdd4efd168d525e7b.png

Lacy & Dow reproduce a photo of No. 279 that has the first class compartment nearest the non-luggage end converted:

60008930_MRD507B54ftlavatorycomposite.thumb.png.62cd0e5eedcc56ca991a13b869e1481f.png

To complicate matters further, a c. 1900 photo (possibly a few years earlier) that @Lecorbusier sent me of an express near Didsbury, hauled by a 2183 Class 4-4-0, shows a third variant, with the third class compartment next but one to the luggage compartment converted:

1765054120_MRD507C54ftlavatorycomposite.thumb.png.4f8ceb6925c1ba7cf23ef24fbf709b50.png

It wouldn’t surprise me to learn that which compartment got converted depended on the day of the week the carriage came into the works – so this is the Monday version, the diagram shows the Tuesday version, and No. 279 is the Thursday version! (The end compartments wouldn’t get converted as they’re Sunday and Saturday.)

In that photo, the following carriage is the variant with the Tuesday lavatories, so there are at least photos of these three variants. All this 12-wheel grandeur is let down by the next carriage, a 29 ft 4-compartment first of 1875 vintage, whilst a D490 bogie third completes the passenger accommodation, the whole being flanked by a pair of D529 4-wheel brakes.

The second most numerous type of 54 ft 12-wheeler were the last arc-roofed carriages to be built, composite brakes to D522, twenty of which were turned out in 1896. They had lavatories and gas lighting from new:

1865271614_MRD52254ftcompositebrake.thumb.png.8b460f66ae7447720f19d6a5fd2db725.png

Note the fixed window next to the double doors of the brake/luggage compartments, as mentioned re. the 40 ft composite brake conversion. These carriages can be seen mixed in with the new clerestory carriages in many photos of express trains of the 1898-1905 period, only being displaced from main-line use as corridor carriages took over. They were very long-lived compared to other Midland arc-roofed carriages, being withdrawn in the 1930s. One was used on the Walsall Wood branch in the dying days of its passenger service.

This could be cobbled together from Slaters’ sides but would need two pairs of lavatory third sides:

1585414669_MRD52254ftcompositebrakecutnshut.thumb.png.c80b913dc060b4cf7189a6058e80a5c0.png

There’s a subtle difference in the panelling of lavatory compartments converted from passenger compartments, compared to ones built as such. The latter have a continuous long waist panel and, if the blank side between the lavatory window and the adjacent compartment window is divided into two panels, they are of equal width. The converted compartments keep the short waist panel and the dimensions of the compartment windows are preserved in the upper panelling.

Edited by Compound2632
Images re-inserted.
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

Hi Stephen, 

Cut and shut is a good route (see Clive Mortimore's stuff) but I think there are limits as the concoctions become more piecemeal. 

Have you considered a Silhouette cutter? You've obviously got the CAD skills and have done some nice work in styrene. I'm sure you'll have seen the @MikeTrice thread started a few years ago.

Alan 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Buhar said:

Cut and shut is a good route (see Clive Mortimore's stuff) but I think there are limits as the concoctions become more piecemeal. 

Have you considered a Silhouette cutter? You've obviously got the CAD skills and have done some nice work in styrene. I'm sure you'll have seen the @MikeTrice thread started a few years ago.

Yes, I've seen @Clive Mortimore's wonderfully variegated creations!

He really needs to get the paint out...

The drawings I've posted are in CorelDraw, which I've used on and off for 20 years. I have followed the Silhouette topic. It's certainly an interesting technique. At the moment, I don't really have room for one - certainly not with the house as full as it has been over the past five months. Maybe once No. 2 son has gone to university, next year. Many years ago I did have a go at the David Jenkinson plasticard doily method but I was never satisfied with my efforts. Looking back, I think I was limited by the accuracy of my marking out and the cutting tools I was using at the time. I've also dreamed that for very standardised carriage components as used by the Midland, one could make a set of punches.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Buhar said:

Hi Stephen, 

Cut and shut is a good route (see Clive Mortimore's stuff) but I think there are limits as the concoctions become more piecemeal

Alan 

Hi Alan

I have no idea what you mean :)

004.jpg.7a06998d02b398865dfb5b47afa0ce7e.jpg

The start of a diagram 25 RKB form Lima bits. I have a feeling it will be 50% filler when/if finished.

I am looking at making some MR 48ft LTSR coaches with elliptical roofs, along with some LMS 54ft LTSR coaches. The Ratio Suburbans will form the basis of the models with Dapol roofs.

I too have a Silhouette cutter which I haven't yet had ago at doing some coach sides.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am looking at making some MR 48ft LTSR coaches with elliptical roofs, along with some LMS 54ft LTSR coaches. The Ratio Suburbans will form the basis of the models with Dapol roofs.

I'm looking forward to this! The Dapol/Airfix Period 2 non-corridors will certainly give you a flying start for all these. Bogies can be used directly, u/fs shortened and, for the Midland vehicles, angle trussing replaced with queenposts. The sides from the Ratio third and first will give you the Midland 48 ft D1222 and D1054 but the brake end of the 6-compartment third brake will need a bit of jiggery-pokery to get D1226. I'd be disappointed, though, if you didn't attempt the D1219 lavatory composite! There was a small quantity of 54 ft stock built just before grouping - several single-carriage diagrams! For the LMS 54 ft stock, using the Ratio 8-compt third sides to make a 9-compt third will give a carriage nominally 9/32" (0.8 mm) too short but using the 7-compt first sides to make an 8-compt first, 9 5/8" (3.2 mm) too long...

An issue may be that the Ratio kits are for 8'6" wide stock but these LT&S section carriages are 9'0" wide, the extra width being at the waist, so a bit more bend will be needed on the tumblehome.

If you buy second-hand unbuilt kits, you should be able to accumulate sides molded in plastic of a variety of shades of grey.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I ought to have acknowledged earlier that my current bout of thinking about Slaters sides has been encouraged by @Penrhos1920' topic on Great Western carriages from Ratio sides:

... and also a demonstration of similar cut-n-shuttery at ExpoEM a couple years ago. (Did I already mention that?)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1