Towards pre-Grouping carriages in 4mm – the D508 appreciation thread

• RMweb Premium
On 05/03/2024 at 21:26, Jol Wilkinson said:

Stephen,

the Hold and Fold tools were available through Eileens Emporium. An internet search turns up clones on Amazon and Ebay.

Jol

Yes, sorry, I should have been clearer. The H&F is an American-made product:

HF1.jpg.3bdf2a9b63708c9d4712b3ea17a9f1f8.jpg

HF2.jpg.1e55765e69294c3d4e4c5d748f37b2e0.jpg

I too bought mine from a UK retailer (I can't remember which one) but going to their website just now, I found this note:

"Effective December 31, 2023 the Small Shop has closed. We have retired! You may be able to find some of our products at our Authorized Dealers. Please check the list - link is at the bottom of each page. HAPPY NEW YEAR! Hopefully soon, the Small Shop will be back under new ownership!"

So if you can find any still in the retail channel I'd snap them up... Very sorry to be the bearer of bad news and to have whetted anyone's appetite, only to frustrate it.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Some progress with the clerestory 6-wheelers - body of the D491 third assembled:

MidlandD49133ft6in6-wheelthirdbody.JPG.9fb62abea7c3a7dd69f8cebbaf0944c3.JPG

The cardboard box doesn't make such a good background for brass models!

Various things I thought would be fiddly, such as lining the toplights and droplights up with the windows, weren't as tricky as I'd feared - working from the rear, they can be aligned by dead reckoning. With this one, I didn't have to worry about which end the steps go; for the D515 luggage composite, I have to remember that they're at the end nearest the luggage compartment. I do still have to remember which way round it goes on the underframe, though - step end nearest the vacuum cylinder; plain end nearest the gas cylinders. (I've not yet fitted the gas control rod at the far end, there's pipework behind it that goes onto the roof.)

Edited by Compound2632
sp.
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

Very Midland, already.

Clerestory six-wheelers combine all the things I like about stock of this period, aestethically. Something about the balance.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• 2 weeks later...

May I interrupt this thread with a couple of questions on a particular type of Midland Railway carriage?  Would the (circular) truss rods on a Midland Railway Bain 54' Clerestory Carriage be fastened to the outside of the solebar at each end (i.e over the bogies) or tucked inside the solebars and were the queen posts attached to the bottom of the solebars?

I've searched loads of books and looked at many photographs but a definitive answer has so far eluded me.  I did a search on RMWeb to find ths  thread and thought someone conributing to it might just put me out of my misery with the correc answer.

Thanks in anticiation . . .

Stan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Stanley Melrose said:

May I interrupt this thread with a couple of questions on a particular type of Midland Railway carriage?  Would the (circular) truss rods on a Midland Railway Bain 54' Clerestory Carriage be fastened to the outside of the solebar at each end (i.e over the bogies) or tucked inside the solebars and were the queen posts attached to the bottom of the solebars?

You are very welcome. A starting point is the Derby C&W Drawing Register, on the Midland Railway Study Centre website: 

https://www.midlandrailwaystudycentre.org.uk/CW/

Many of the drawings in the collection have been scanned at high resolution. I'm looking now at the scan of Drg. 1861 of 1 Oct 1903, "Underframe for 54ft Gangway Carriages", MRSC item 88-C0868; this is the underframe for the square-light 54 ft carriages and the first generation of round-light carriages; it seems to have been superseded by Drgs. 2955 & 3000 in 1908, but copies of these do not survive in the collection. Anyway, Drg. 1861 shows the truss rods to be 1½" diameter but where they overlap the outside of the solebar (which is U-section steel) they are forged flat with a series of bolts at 6" intervals. The queenposts are indeed attached to the underside of the solebars. The end of the queenpost rests on the truss rod, rather than having a hole through which the truss rod passes. Here's a compressed version of the scan:

88-C0868STEELUNDERFRAMEFOR54ftBOGIECARRIAGESDrgNo.1861compressed.jpg.1758069ab656ded435e909092190753a.jpg

[Compressed scan of MRSC 88-C0868, Drg. 1861].

If you would like a high-res version of this scan or of any of the other drawings in the collection, please contact the Study Centre Coordinator, details via the link above.

(If you do find more items of interest, please consider a donation to the Study Centre running costs, or better still, joining the Midland Railway Society.)

Edited by Compound2632