Road flyover over tracks and station

ITG

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

beginning to think about scenic treatment in more detail. I have a (OO) 3 road storage yard running behind and virtually parallel to a small passing loop station. There is a higher level single track running behind the storage roads. Originally, I thought I might hide this storage yard (ie no fiddle access required) but now decided that I like the view of its sweeping curves and also that it would hide too much open track as a proportion of the whole layout. 
So, I think I might disguise it, with a road flyover which exits from a higher level area nearby. The board that this storage and station are is on is only 18” wide, and I’m thinking that the road would need to pass over at a fairly shallow angle, so the flyover would be longish, and running maybe 20 -30 degrees out from parallel to tracks, diagonally across the board from outside edge to inner edge. There is some space between storage roads and station tracks, around 4”. Part of the road section would need to run directly above and parallel to tracks below.

Just wondered if anyone has any photos of similar model treatments or prototype structures, or can suggest layouts which I could google to view? Or any modelling tips or pitfalls.

thanks

• Like 1

Not sure I fully understand your description, but have you considered Huntingdon, just up the line from you?

The north end of the station is crossed by a substantial road bridge, and over the top of both railway and road was an extremely heavily reinforced flyover carrying the (now diverted) A14 dual carriageway at an even higher level.  l haven't been to the station recently to see the impact of demolition of this viaduct for myself, but the traffic disruption caused by this very necessary work was a good enough reason to avoid the visiting the town altogether.  As the lorry route connecting the North and Midlands via the A1 and M1 to Felixstowe and the M11 are of strategic national importance the highway engineers had to build the extensive diversion south of the town before they could demolish this unsound viaduct, which had to be done with minimal disruption to the ECML.

This view may give you an idea as it has two roads, both at an angle to the railway

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6551105

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Michael,

yes, you’re right - Huntingdon virtually on my door step! Travelled through it on the train to London many times, but never actually used the station itself, and just didn’t think of the A14 flyover. I will sketch out and post a plan of that section of the layout to give a better indication of my possible thinking. At the moment, I’m just trying to kick ideas around in my head. To be honest, as with most model railways I suspect, that whole area is one of my compromises, and I knew I was going to find it a challenge to give it meaning and realism, but isn’t it challenges of that nature why we do it?

Employing "Rule 1" and facing a similar dilemma some years ago, I created this on my 00 gauge loft layout.  The only purpose of the flyover is to get vehicles to and from the goods yard.  I had intended to place a scenic area over part of the area but, like you,  decided it would hide too much of my work.

Harold

Middleby Station Completed 2 (Large).JPG

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks HLT, looks similar to the ‘imaginative’ scenario I am mulling over. Albeit a different shape.

Here is a very rough sketch of that area. Essentially, there are 3 levels; 

1. base line level is the multi-track area which contains the 3 storage roads, and the single platform station, along with the entry/ exit roads at the top, and the bottom right - which go into tunnels under......
2. At approx 4” above is the end of the high level terminus, which for passengers etc is accessed through....

3. An over platform station building and small urban/commercial area, again some 4” above level 2.

the rearmost track is is climbing from under the station and circles around the whole room to feed the terminus.

So, what I was trying to juggle with is a roadway running to/from that upper town area (3) broadly parallel to the tracks at level 1, dropping as it progresses over the small platform/tracks and then a ramp down to (and beyond) the factory. 
so any ideas or photos of possible similar  constructions most welcome.

• RMweb Gold

Whoops, forgot attachment. Although for some odd reason, it keeps loading upside down, even when I rotate the original image. Please stand on head to read!

41748D44-A476-40A6-A8AE-300A3D678998.jpeg

Edited by ITG
Image added
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

A more old fashioned way of doing  would be this.. Andover station..https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.2097936,-1.4966035,3a,75y,67.1h,73.63t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s5JPIGJU_4MhfFL1M5k5xSg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D5JPIGJU_4MhfFL1M5k5xSg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D126.617584%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

That gate way was a through road when I were a lad,

Basically road each side with a bridge over, sweeping flyovers need an expensive reason to be built..

• 5 weeks later...
On 02/10/2020 at 22:27, cravensdmufan said:

Really like the bridge.  Is it all scratch built?

Yer sure is Cravensdmufan 

made from thin

plywood,support pillers are water pipes cut down,Hornby fences and over head gantrys from A4 plastic card

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks saxokid, food for thought.

I’m not yet at the stage of construction but am trying to maintain that multi-focal vision of what I’m doing now (about to start laying the upper board track in next week or so) versus thinking ahead for how will it all fit (the Road bridge exit from upper station forecourt twisting across above the lower level station)..... I think!

Is there any hobby which requires such a multi level, multi strand,  multi task and multi skill application as this one? And they call it retirement!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
On 09/10/2020 at 21:44, ITG said:

Thanks saxokid, food for thought.

I’m not yet at the stage of construction but am trying to maintain that multi-focal vision of what I’m doing now (about to start laying the upper board track in next week or so) versus thinking ahead for how will it all fit (the Road bridge exit from upper station forecourt twisting across above the lower level station)..... I think!

Is there any hobby which requires such a multi level, multi strand,  multi task and multi skill application as this one? And they call it retirement!

Looking forward to your modelling and pictures:locomotive:

cheers neil