Platform facing - Western region

jamest

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

This looked like the most appropriate area to ask this question so here goes.....

I am in the process of building a western region BLT and I'd like to use as much of my accumulated stuff as possible. I find platforms with curved edges are easy with peco platform edging but I fear I will be guilty of a heinous crime if I use concrete style platform faces (LK-62)?

This seems to be more of a southern thing - are there any real life examples of it being used on the western region?

I could do the faces from mount board and brick paper - but I'm looking for an excuse to make the forming, and subsequent ballasting, easier!

I know I could apply rule 1, but I am sure there will be many compromises on the overall layout, and I do like to make it vaguely accurate if I can!

regards,

James

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 11/09/2020 at 19:26, Campaman said:

Personally I would do what is right, but as you say rule 1 applies. There are plenty of brick sheets available, or you can be sad like me and scribe your own...

hi,

I'm thinking the same - I'm going down the card platform and scalescenes brick paper faces.

I managed to 'mask' the platform position quite well while spreading the ballast - to get a decent edge to my final ballasting - I can then add the card walls, varnish, and then fill in gaps with neat pva and ballast.

Regards,

james

• RMweb Gold

The Western did use concrete platform edging. Made at Taunton concrete works.

My own specialty is the Minehead line and most of the stations there were extended in the 1930s with concrete platform modules.

Many other western examples. Concrete wasn't exclusive to the southern!

Ian

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Platforms do tend to give a potted history of the station, from the original facing and surface possibly stone blocks and slabs to  any extensions possibly brick or wooden with the surface varying from gravel to Tarmac or Concrete to acres of weeds in the current era.   It's hardly ever modelled other than with the same walls and surface throughout.

• Agree 1