Southern Coaching Stock Liveries 1950s and 1960s

Mick Bonwick

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

You're right, I might. :D

I shall definitely be going there. For some reason (RMweb's search facility?) I had not found this during previous searches, so many thanks for sending me there.

Was started by some dodgy bloke who likes green coaches...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/09/2020 at 13:31, Adam said:

The key thing about coaching stock on the Southern is that they ran in fixed sets, so if anything, the formation of the coaches is as important as the colour they were painted [...]

So there were two-coach sets, three coach sets (which could be Maunsell, Bulleid or mark 1s but never a mixture), four coach sets and longer with a slew of loose coaches that were used to augment the sets. It's... complex.

Adam

Actually, in the early 1960s there are a number of pictures online of 3-coach trains on the Steyning line (Brighton-Horsham) formed of Maunsell+Bulleid, or 64'6"+59' Bulleids although in at least some pictures the set number has been painted out.

No idea if that was also true for other Central division areas, I'm only really interested in things that could have been seen on the West Coastway.

ĸen

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thank you very much to all those who took the trouble to respond to my request. I now have all the information that I need to assemble my trains, and will be proceeding with that task forthwith.

I'm hoping that Bachmann will not be too long in producing their Bulleid coaches so that I can use some of those to represent the early 1950s trains that ran from Waterloo to the South Western (not the Central) area.

If I buck my ideas up and get on with layout construction, I might have time to make up some kits for suburban traffic before the workshop has to close for age reasons.