2020 RHTT Season

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering when this year’s RHTT is due to start and does anyone know what the diagrams will be?  I did hear a whisper that DRS might be resurrecting a pair of their Class 20’s for their RHTT trains, but I thought 2019’s season was supposed to be their last.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The FEAs have already started deploying, already located at Carlisle, Shrewsbury and Mossend with the Stowmarket sets due to leave York tomorrow. Typically start end of September/early October but depends on local conditions.  Looks like there's going to be additional RHTTs operating in Scotland this year with DB power.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 01/09/2020 at 16:17, jools1959 said:

I did hear a whisper that DRS might be resurrecting a pair of their Class 20’s for their RHTT trains, but I thought 2019’s season was supposed to be their last.

This is quite possible because as far as I know, there are still gauging problems on the stretch of line between Barnsley and Chapletown and 20's are / were the only loco haulage that were permitted between the two.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 01/09/2020 at 16:17, jools1959 said:

was wondering when this year’s RHTT is due to start

27th September on the Southern, mind you we’ve already had the first week on our patch thanks to the hot weather followed by last weeks storm!

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Busmansholiday said:

This is quite possible because as far as I know, there are still gauging problems on the stretch of line between Barnsley and Chapletown and 20's are / were the only loco haulage that were permitted between the two.

Just had a check of the 2019 SA and apart from the 20s you mention the only other diesel locos permitted over the Barnsley-Wincobank route are 08, 09, 31, 33 and 73. Would be very interesting to see 33s or 73s over that route!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, phil_sutters said:

This doesn't look like RHTT equipment on board, but I am not up on the various bits of kit used. I am sure those in the know will be quick to identify it.

GBRailfreight 73107 leads 73201 out of Seaford Station - 11 8 2020 2kpx.jpg

GBRf 73201 & 73107 approaching Seaford 11 8 2020 2kpx.jpg

Those are snow and ice treatment wagons so ready for post leaf fall work. 
This shows the mpv version but some are loco hauled in Kent and Sussex. 
https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/looking-after-the-railway/our-fleet-machines-and-vehicles/seasonal-track-treatment-and-weather-support-fleet/

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, iands said:

Just had a check of the 2019 SA and apart from the 20s you mention the only other diesel locos permitted over the Barnsley-Wincobank route are 08, 09, 31, 33 and 73. Would be very interesting to see 33s or 73s over that route!

IIRC the 37 split box were allowed over this line, but not the centre box ones as the tunnel at womwell took the horns off the roof on them. IIRC it is why one of the three shadow freight companies had a few centre box 37 modified with the horns moved off the roof. They were used on sandite trains, with the spreading equipment fitted in the old boiler compartment. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

IIRC the 37 split box were allowed over this line, but not the centre box ones as the tunnel at womwell took the horns off the roof on them. IIRC it is why one of the three shadow freight companies had a few centre box 37 modified with the horns moved off the roof. They were used on sandite trains, with the spreading equipment fitted in the old boiler compartment. 

It would seem now that all 37s (whatever sub class) are now prohibited between Elsecar and Wombwell. However, on double checking, 68s and 70s are permitted but only over the Down line.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

Those are snow and ice treatment wagons so ready for post leaf fall work. 
This shows the mpv version but some are loco hauled in Kent and Sussex. 
https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/looking-after-the-railway/our-fleet-machines-and-vehicles/seasonal-track-treatment-and-weather-support-fleet/

A route proving trip then?

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

A route proving trip then?

Or just delivering them to their winter base as they are all maintained and stored at a central base during the off season. The MPV’s see other use as the modules can be swapped over and the wagons may well see other use off season but the modules will be stored if they do. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

Or just delivering them to their winter base as they are all maintained and stored at a central base during the off season. The MPV’s see other use as the modules can be swapped over and the wagons may well see other use off season but the modules will be stored if they do. 

There's nowhere to store anything at the line's terminus at Seaford and almost all the storage capacity at Newhaven has now been turned over to aggregrates traffic. 

6 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

This doesn't look like RHTT equipment on board, but I am not up on the various bits of kit used. I am sure those in the know will be quick to identify it.

GBRailfreight 73107 leads 73201 out of Seaford Station - 11 8 2020 2kpx.jpg

GBRf 73201 & 73107 approaching Seaford 11 8 2020 2kpx.jpg

Sticking the loco numbers and 2020 into Flickr suggests it is a driver training / refresher to get ready for sandite season. Possibly drivers getting their handling in converting from 66 to 73s for example. 

Jo

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

We, in Anglia, received our sets from York on Wednesday this week

Haughley Green foot crossing (on the Bury-St-E line near to Haughley Jcn)
02/09/2020 (Wednesday)
37218 on 6Z38, 12:30, York Thrall Europa - Stowmarket D.G.L. (18:18) - RHTT sets for 2020 leaf fall season

DAS864253.jpg.18723371d054d2cdf9ebbddf5fd3ddf3.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, uax6 said:

DRS did a drivers training run around the Anglia region on Friday in a Light 37. They also sportingly recovered a failed train in the midst of the run...

Andy G

That was me but was Thursday. 

Were you  on at Littleport,  didn't notice the van 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thursday, Friday, all turns roll into one!

I was one for your return journey... It was nice that you dropped that lad off at the north end of the platform and gave her the beans passing the box! ;-)

Are we booked for 37's this year or are we going to have to suffer with 66's again?

Andy G

Edited by uax6
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, uax6 said:

I was one for your return journey... It was nice that you dropped that lad off at the north end of the platform and gave her the beans passing the box! ;-)

Are we booked for 37's this year or are we going to have to suffer with 66's again?

Andy G

Ah shame I missed you.

We have four 37s, two 57s and 66s planned at the moment but that may change yet

You will have me again this year was off all last season had to have an operation 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎03‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 11:48, iands said:

:offtopic:

Poor pics due to it being almost completely dark at the time !!

73961 about to cross Elsecar viaduct.

1943157662_IMG_22052(1280x853).jpg.74a414004b7029b95acd937a676bd974.jpg

& 73962 on the rear of the train, on the viaduct.

1591059914_IMG_22079(1280x853).jpg.10a23141a215f5d5bd738946a2ed8c10.jpg

We've also had 73951 & 73952 TnT along the route.

( No pics though, I happened to be stood in the kitchen window as they went by........:blink: )

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, russ p said:

Ah shame I missed you.

You will have me again this year was off all last season had to have an operation 

So its down to you to make sure that 3S50 is down for the 37's Russ....

Andy G

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, uax6 said:

DRS did a drivers training run around the Anglia region on Friday in a Light 37. They also sportingly recovered a failed train in the midst of the run...

Andy G

1 hour ago, russ p said:

That was me but was Thursday. 

Were you  on at Littleport,  didn't notice the van 

26 minutes ago, uax6 said:

Andy G

4 minutes ago, russ p said:

Ah shame I missed you.

Was this 716 that was out and about? Thought I saw some photos of it. 

Out of interest Russ do you know which 37s have been allocated to the Stowmarket RHTTs this year? If we see Intercity 37419 on them, which didn't feature at all during last years season, after it's repaint at Loram over the spring/summer of 2019, I may be tempted to buy the Accurascale model. It's a shame we won't see 259 and 409 because they have recently been stored at Kingmoor and reports are suggesting 405 at Gresty Bridge isn't returning, unless you know any otherwise? All three of these have featured on the Stowmarket RHTTs in recent seasons. 

Hope the operation went well and you are keeping well. I will look forward to yours and others updates on the Stowmarket RHTTs as well as the photos and videos too. 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

14 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Out of interest Russ do you know which 37s have been allocated to the Stowmarket RHTTs this year? If we see Intercity 37419 on them, which didn't feature at all during last years season, after it's repaint at Loram over the spring/summer of 2019, I may be tempted to buy the Accurascale model. It's a shame we won't see 259 and 409 because they have recently been stored at Kingmoor and reports are suggesting 405 at Gresty Bridge isn't returning, unless you know any otherwise? All three of these have featured on the Stowmarket RHTTs in recent seasons. 

Hope the operation went well and you are keeping well. I will look forward to yours and others updates on the Stowmarket RHTTs as well as the photos and videos too. 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Yep it was 37716.......my Mrs was at Ely on her sign off run with XC when the 37 came in towing a wee bit of that errant failure that caused some chaos in the region!

Regards 

Guy

20200920_210718.jpg

Edited by balders
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Cheers Danny 

We have 059, 069 and 218 at the moment not sure what else we are getting.  All the 4s are supposed to be safe but who knows 

• Thanks 1