Wills/SE Finecast P class

roythebus

Looking through my collection of unmade and part-made kits, I found my SE Finecast P class loco, bought about 20 years ago from the Allypally show. I started building it, life got in the way and I never finished it, like so many other things. I fitted it with the small motor recommenced in the instructions but had trouble with that shorting out on bits of bodywork.

Last week I stripped the chassis down and virtually rebuilt it. I found the Romford wheels running out of true for some reason. Anyway, I got it running again, but found the centre drivers still wobbly so it has to come apart again! During the test run I tried it with my 38-wagon test train and the little P class managed to pull it! I'll take a video of it next time it's on test.

As an aside, the first loco I ever bought was the original Wills Finecast P class, cost £4/14/6d I think, plus Triang XT60 motor, Romford gears and wheels put it at over £14. I found that as well so will have to give that a run too! I've rebuilt that a couple of times over the years and I'm sure I changed the chassis for the original Wills with a later one when it lost the XT60. It's got to be worth restoring.

• Like 5

I've got the Wills GWR 94xx I bought years ago. She had been thrown together, painted a lurid shade of green*, and fitted to an ancient Tri-ang R.52 chassis with the steamroller wheels. Luckily one of the numerous adhesives that don't stick white metal had been used and I got as far as taking her apart and putting the parts in a box. I did get some plates - 9407 IIRC.

She'll be going back in the box for now**, but I'm undecided, 1. leave the chassis well alone beyond fitting the later Hornby wheels, 2.fit the Will's etched chassis I have (still to complete of course) 3. either option plus correct  the wheelbase.

The Wills chassis was going under my Mainline 56xx body, but a Tri-ang chassis would do. I suspect the Mainline body is better than Wills effort and deserves the better chassis

* It's supposed to be 'Malachite' I think. BR black is prescribed as a cure.

Waffle alert!  Very off topic! (Beyond presenting feeble excuses for not doing important things like model railways!

** I'm returning to Italy on Saturday, so I might take her with me to pass the time (SWMBO and our 2 dogs and 8 cats might may have other ideas here!) Our daughter got in with a local animal rescue and some of the rescues found a home. Can you look after him/her for a couple of weeks?.... We had rehomed one lot of kittens and then one of our rescues (a tabby point Siamese - enough said) presented us with some more! She was only five months old, so we mistakenly thought.... Dad is either her cousin also a tabby point or the black kitten who adopted us. He followed my wife and daughter home when they were out with the first dog (a Maremmana sheepdog). Both took an active part in raising the kittens which is unusual for male cats.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maremmano-Abruzzese_Sheepdog    

He is good at finding strays. He found three lost puppies as well, one of which has become dog number two).

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

Difficult choice, the Wills etched chassis are quite good and easy to build.

Looking after stray cats, had enough of that with my previous mrs! 7 cats in all...

• Friendly/supportive 2

I have two ex homeless cats, both Toms. I was looking after four outside, but one died and the other disappeared, I presume also passed away as he had been losing muscle, possibly thyroid or kidney problems. The two remaining ones are now nice house cats.

All the best

Ray

16 hours ago, roythebus said:

Looking through my collection of unmade and part-made kits, I found my SE Finecast P class loco, bought about 20 years ago from the Allypally show. I started building it, life got in the way and I never finished it, like so many other things. I fitted it with the small motor recommenced in the instructions but had trouble with that shorting out on bits of bodywork.

Last week I stripped the chassis down and virtually rebuilt it. I found the Romford wheels running out of true for some reason. Anyway, I got it running again, but found the centre drivers still wobbly so it has to come apart again! During the test run I tried it with my 38-wagon test train and the little P class managed to pull it! I'll take a video of it next time it's on test.

As an aside, the first loco I ever bought was the original Wills Finecast P class, cost £4/14/6d I think, plus Triang XT60 motor, Romford gears and wheels put it at over £14. I found that as well so will have to give that a run too! I've rebuilt that a couple of times over the years and I'm sure I changed the chassis for the original Wills with a later one when it lost the XT60. It's got to be worth restoring.

I have 3 on the go, a mixture of Wills, Wills Finecast and Southeastern Finecast

The first thing to mention is that Southeastern Finecast sell their chassis separately, Dave will also sell you spares for either lost or broken parts or those required to upgrade Wills locos to the revised SEF versions

Back to the P class

The Southeastern Finecast one is being built as is in its revised form

The first Wills loco has now got a Southeastern Finecast etched chassis and the revised parts

The Second Wills kit came with the Branchlines etched chassis and etched and cast body detail set, certainly the etched chassis is slightly simpler than the SEF one, however it matches up with the Branchlines etched footplate

I would certainly replace cast chassis for etched ones as you have freedom on choice of motors and gearboxes

1 hour ago, wainwright1 said:

I have two ex homeless cats, both Toms. I was looking after four outside, but one died and the other disappeared, I presume also passed away as he had been losing muscle, possibly thyroid or kidney problems. The two remaining ones are now nice house cats.

All the best

Ray

It takes very little for a stray cat to become a house cat. They are very intelligent animals and well capable of looking after number one.

I was amazed at how well our cat coped with her kittens. She is still only a kitten herself and quite small in size.

10 hours ago, hayfield said:

I have 3 on the go, a mixture of Wills, Wills Finecast and Southeastern Finecast

The first thing to mention is that Southeastern Finecast sell their chassis separately, Dave will also sell you spares for either lost or broken parts or those required to upgrade Wills locos to the revised SEF versions

Back to the P class

The Southeastern Finecast one is being built as is in its revised form

The first Wills loco has now got a Southeastern Finecast etched chassis and the revised parts

The Second Wills kit came with the Branchlines etched chassis and etched and cast body detail set, certainly the etched chassis is slightly simpler than the SEF one, however it matches up with the Branchlines etched footplate

I would certainly replace cast chassis for etched ones as you have freedom on choice of motors and gearboxes

I may well keep the 1966 model as original as a historic model.

9 hours ago, roythebus said:

I may well keep the 1966 model as original as a historic model.

Certainly feasible with the Branchlines chassis to build it with the same fixing points as the Cast chassis, this would give you the option of swapping chassis having both historic and modern working quality. I guess if the New SEF chassis was not a direct fit, alternative frame spacers could be used to adapt it,

I just find the older chassis hard to mesh, also the gears and motors now are far superior 

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I have the wills version as well, it originally had the Triang XT60 fitted which I've probably still got kicking around in the spares box. I think the kit cost about £4/14/6 back in 1966! It took another 2 weeks paper round money to buy yhe wheels from Jones Bros of Turnham Green.

How dis you manage to squeeze an X04 in there?

My Finecast version with the little can motor can easily pull my 37 wagon freight train! I'll do a video of it later.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a few pics of the South East Finecast model with etched chassis and small motor and a video if it loads on here. The P will pull about 35 wagons!

Computer says video is too big to load on here. Shame really.

467B3BF5-C796-4DC7-B4D6-849535447CD2.jpeg

2C90502A-B2C1-446B-9526-1B99C4331F91.jpeg

B0B4FE06-4DB5-4407-B745-263B74200FF2.jpeg

72418189-06E9-42C2-88B9-C405E8EA01C2.jpeg

• Like 3

I've loaded the video to FB if anyone knows me on there either on my own page or Lost Boys 1968-1988..

Edited by roythebus

I can't remember the motor or gearbox I used! I got them about 15 years ago. I think BR black livery will be the easiest to do. If I want the SECR I'll buy the Bachmann version, ready painted. :)

I really must post you that Ks Motorail bogie...

I am planning to paint one of mine in SECR livery, SEF do a transfer sheet, they are quite pricey but as usual got one second hand a third of the price

I tend to pick up packets of spares, they were so cheap in the 80's/90's even taking inflation into consideration, now everything is so much more expensive.

Just let me know how much I owe you for the bogie and postage and PM me your payment details

Regards

John