Wuppertal Schwebebahn

roythebus

As some may know the Schewebebahn has been plagued with problems since new stock was delivered a yera or so ago. It seems to have been closed for many weeks except for weekends while the new stock is being sorted out.

Last week  a post on a London Transport FB group had a picture of the schweb' coming into its own at weekends as a concrete bridge over the main line collapsed blocking all 4 lines! The schweb' parallels the main line along most of the valley and is to be partly used instead or as well as a replacement bus service!

If I can find the fB link I'll post it on here.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

An item in the September Today's Railways Europe magazine to the effect that the new rolling stock has caused damage to the track and the Schwebebahn will be closed on weekdays "probably until Summer 2021" while repairs are carried out.  Buses replace trains during the week, with trains running at weekends (which seems the opposite way round to how such things are usually done!).

• Like 1

With limited overseas travel opportunities from here in Oz, the 2021 timescale fits in fine with my bucket list plans! I really want to travel on the Schwebebahn, but can't see me being able to travel there before 2022 anyway. 

I wish them nothing but good luck and good progress with their repairs.

• Like 2

When I lived in Germany, Wuppertal was a fair distance from Gutersloh, but it became a regular day trip, just to ride the Schwebebahn. At the weekends you could ride one of the original cars whilst enjoying coffee and cake for an extra fee, not sure if that is still an option?

• Like 2