October 2020 BRM

Howard Smith

• Moderators

All those in favour of great modelling, helpful practical advice and the latest model reviews, please raise your hands. With plenty of this inside, the October 2020 issue goes on-sale tomorrow, Thursday September 3 as a digital edition, and can be downloaded from www.pocketmags.com/BRM. Printed copies hit shelves from Sept 10.

Layouts

LLangerisech (2FS)

103803925_AYLlangerisech13.jpg.63e0b4eafb36a58babd7ce677695747e.jpg

Transfixed by the GWR’s ‘Duke’ and ‘Dukedog’ locomotives, Nigel Ashton constructed this finescale paradise for his miniature replicas.

Durham Street (O)

1120097497_AYDurhamStreet06B.jpg.e1c9f5c24fa04a4dba9866705644e72e.jpg

Can a successful layout concept leave room for improvement? Ian Harper and his club members believed so, changing scale in the process.

Folgate (OO)

13.jpg.e0b024dede6689bf33e7990ecc96299a.jpg

Created during lockdown to a strict budget, this capital-inspired terminus saw its creator re-use components from previous layouts with ingenuity.

Practical BRM

How to adapt Hornby's PGA wagon

11.jpg.7512f241b0b72c238bc716e3c57b0da1.jpg

When a model isn’t available in kit form, or produced by manufacturers, a similar RTR wagon can be modified, as Michael Russell elaborates.

How to restore an airbrush

2.jpg.a2780874bc0200cbae60d6a345e69380.jpg

Damaging a top-of-the-line airbrush can prove a costly mistake, as Howard Smith shares with the repair and restoration of his Iwata model.

How to model different trees

18small.jpg.525e7ce2a5f2faf75bc3affdc3f962ea.jpg

Tired of your trees looking similar, or worse, like lollipops? Make your layout’s foliage spectacular with these transformational tree techniques.

How to build a 1970s bungalow

Photo13.jpg.974914b921ce49bd382732b72030cfe8.jpg

Phil Parker recommends this range of buildings for beginners as he constructs a mid-century house, with strong memories of youth.

One chassis – two identities

Photo1.jpg.c49eb531d215ce8529e9bd9063c5070c.jpg

Phil Parker builds a pair of 3D-printed industrial locomotive kits around Hornby’s reliable B2 ‘Peckett’ 0-6-0 chassis.

Products and features

Latest news

Graham Farish: 50 years of N gauge

38476215_MAINIMAGE.jpg.3ab21289e73ce2344842ab7ac527f8ab.jpg

Through the lens: your modelling

TE1.jpg.cfc18325a6f3ae73120775b1490c9231.jpg

Review: Hornby sliding door Mk. 3 coaches

128983513_HornbyCrossCountryMk_3s01.jpg.86ded0dc6d21254bd5607ae62eb14746.jpg

Review: Bachmann and Graham Farish HKA wagons

591318896_1(1).jpg.4b17a3e12bf108674f0b1189718fe53a.jpg

Review: EFE Rail Class 17

1.jpg.95e37f4051f535fa8b44acf733616775.jpg

Review: EFE Rail J94

3.jpg.b7c81b252b7e4359de7ddd95322b4c24.jpg

BONUS DIGITAL EDITION CONTENT (POCKETMAGS VERSION)

Video: Bachmann's Marketing Manager, Richard Proudman, guides us through the manufacturer's 2020 range.

Video: Michael Russell explains how he lengthens and modifies a Hornby PGA wagon to transform it into a salt wagon.

Video: Folgate Street – watch BR blue EMUs in action on this London-themed layout.

Video: Giles Favell demonstrates the working motion of his radio-controlled road locomotive.

Plus, extra images of Folgate Street, Durham Street and LLangerisech. And, get the 'Kingstorre' look!

All this, plus more in the October 2020 issue of BRM, on-sale this Thursday from www.pocketmags.com/BRM. Printed copies hit shelves from Sept 10.

• Like 4

• Moderators

Here's what you can expect in the October 2020 issue of BRM TV, exclusive to BRM subscribers and BRM digital edition viewers. To get your digital copy, visit www.pocketmags.com/BRM, or subscribe today at www.world-of-railways.co.uk

• Moderators

There appears to be a chink missing out of the 50 years of Farish article relating to the 1970s and the start of the timelines - probably the most important part. :unsure:

1970s

The first products launched by Graham Farish in the autumn of 1970 were self-coloured plastic wagons with Letraset transfers; 5 and 7-plank open wagons, single and twin-ventilator vans, a steel mineral, tar wagon, cattle wagon, horsebox, conflat and a GW brakevan. Flwexible track and ‘Liveway’ points started the range of what was to become the widest product range in the scale in the UK.

1st February 1971 was Decimalisation Day and the first advertisements of the Graham Farish’s first N Gauge locomotive appeared, the 94xx GW Pannier Tank priced at £5 19s 9d and/or £5.99, the equivalent of £85 in today’s money which was lower than competitors at the time boasting many features but far from the finesse of 2020’s quality! This was shortly followed by the Holden J69 0-6-0T accompanied by freelance 4-wheel coaches, mainline and suburban 57’ bogie coaches, again of a freelance design which arrived in 1972. The same year saw the wagons include printing with a small price increase and that the range would expand with Private Owner liveries. 1975 saw the J69 tooling adapted a freelance ‘Standard’ tank to feature in representational LMS and Southern liveries and their first tender locomotive, a GW Hall class 4-6-0. Another two years on and the range grows further with the first pacific, a streamlined Merchant Navy/Battle of Britain 4-6-2 plus a 61xx GW Prairie tank. Rounding the first decade off was the arrival of an LMS Black Five and a ‘General Purpose Tank’ looking like a stretched 3F Jinty plus a Class 08 shunter, sadly lacking in outside frame detail. It was a busy ten years!

• Thanks 4

• RMweb Gold

Are we still able to watch the video that links from the front cover of BRM magazine through the exact editions link that's posted for the RMweb Gold members. As I've tried a few times now to have a watch but it eventually goes through to YouTube and says the video is unavailable and has been removed by the uploader.

Sorry if this has been posted in the wrong place as I couldn't find a suitable location for it to be posted.

Cheers 

Colin 

• Agree 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, CovDriver said:

Sorry if this has been posted in the wrong place as I couldn't find a suitable location for it to be posted.

Looks like that needs some looking at! It may be Monday before it can be fixed now. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another great issue.  Although an old fuddy duddy when it comes to reading from a computer screen I’m really starting to enjoy the digital version (although still an ardent fan of print!).  Loved seeing the Kingstorre article again - a superb masterpiece of a layout. Another fantastic offering overall guys and also, oddly, loved the long Modelu advert at the back - the diorama pictures showing their products were simply stunning.  

• Thanks 2

• Moderators
On 05/09/2020 at 14:02, CovDriver said:

Are we still able to watch the video that links from the front cover of BRM magazine through the exact editions link that's posted for the RMweb Gold members. As I've tried a few times now to have a watch but it eventually goes through to YouTube and says the video is unavailable and has been removed by the uploader.

Cheers 

Colin 

Hi Colin,

Thanks for raising the issue which we're looking into now and apologies - we'll post here when it's fixed.

H

• Thanks 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Penlan said:

My 'Shopping Assistant' can check Sainsbury's tomorrow

Send them back on Thursday too as it's on shop shelves from Thurs 10th Sept!

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Penlan said:

Thank you,  if it went on sale on 3rd Sept., then either it hasn't reached PZ yet, or they are all sold.
My 'Shopping Assistant' can check Sainsbury's tomorrow :rolleyes:

Digital edition from Sept 3, printed copies hit shelves from Sept 10.

• RMweb Premium

I no longer have an ipad but do have a Mac and a Macbook air. What is the best way to view the mag (I have subscribed) on one of these machines?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Now sorted thanks

Edited by 7013
Sorted out

• RMweb Premium
On 05/09/2020 at 13:42, AY Mod said:

There appears to be a chink missing out of the 50 years of Farish article relating to the 1970s and the start of the timelines - probably the most important part. :unsure:

Wow!  Thank you for including that piece for us here: I had a 94xx (my first ever loco), but it must have been a few years later - I was only three years old on decimalisation day!  A reminder that items used to stay in the catalogues for much longer than today: I could see something in the catalogue and still expect Santa to find it in the shops months later.

• Administrators
On 09/09/2020 at 21:52, meatloaf said:

where can i buy the baseboards that phil built up in the dvd?

The kit is from White Rose Baseboards and are destined for my Selly Oak project. Other laser cut boards work in the same way though and I wanted to keep it a general look at techniques rather than a specific product review.

• Thanks 1

Page 63, process '29', can Michael Russell advise

which manufacturer's Sheep he has grazing under the tree, please :rolleyes:
From other Forum postings you may be aware I'm seeking proper fed etc., grazing Sheep.
BTW, I like the use of plant roots, that's a good idea, especially for trees in decay.

Edited by Penlan

I received my copy in the post today as unable to find a copy on sale here in Northwich town centre. Even WHSmiths seem to have stopped stocking it and I have checked the last two weekends with no joy.

Good to see the article on converting the Hornby PGA (ex-Lima) hopper model to the salt version. However a plea to the author is it possible to include a cutting guide diagram for the body and chassis please in part two?

Many thanks Paul

Last Thursday - Day of release in Newsagents etc., at 11.55am in PZ Sainsbury's there was 1 (One) copy on the shelf, now it maybe there had been a stampede earlier to grab the copies - or not, but in more settled times a pile of BRM would be there for at least 2 weeks before they were all gone (I accept there may have been more in the store room to bring out the following morning rush, but that's not a certainty).

Fortunately the person obtaining the magazine for me managed to get it - I'm in the very vulnerable Covid category, and please no silly remarks :jester:

Edited by Penlan
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Page 63, process '29', can Michael Russell advise

which manufacturer's Sheep he has grazing under the tree, please

Sorry about that omission from the parts list. The sheep and lambs are from Model Scene.

Good to see the article on converting the Hornby PGA (ex-Lima) hopper model to the salt version. However a plea to the author is it possible to include a cutting guide diagram for the body and chassis please in part two?

I can't do this today because of my day job, but I'll try and fit it in this weekend.

Thank you for the feedback. I will use this to improve future articles.

• Like 2

• Administrators
15 hours ago, Penlan said:

in more settled times a pile of BRM would be there for at least 2 weeks before they were all gone

Warners have always tried to keep copies on shelves all the way through the publishing period according to a meeting I attended a couple of years ago. However, the world is strange, the news trade distribution is strange and so working out how many to print is challenging at the moment. If you want to ensure your copy - buy a subscription. It saves you money and is a big help to the magazine as the income from subs is higher thanks to lower distribution costs, some of which is passed back to you. There are magazines (not BRM etc.) who make no money at all from news stand sales!

• Informative/Useful 1