Newport (Parrog) Branch Line Terminus, 1930s (OO Gauge)

petejones

Here's the platform in full view, 160cm long (that's not the track I will be using - still waiting for a next day delivery that was supposed to arrive on Friday - Peco Bullhead track):

876084523_2020-09-06Platform.JPG.885641a821131042dc29871db607ca68.JPG

And the station, which will be modified and re-painted in due course (it's an absolutely lovely model, I have to say):

123745368_2020-09-06Station.JPG.a874f03f68105463e70b1d67cf649033.JPG

And finally, the signal box, which has had the windows removed and a first coat of official GWR paint (I am also painting up an interior, which I assembled a couple of evenings ago - I had to put it on stilts so it sits inside the box at the correct height; I will also add lighting):

823049977_2020-09-06SignalBox.JPG.207591ce21abed6d8532c5bf99b5f90e.JPG

• Like 3

I'm not sure the lip at the front of the baseboad works for this layout as it obscures about 8mm of the view, so you don't see the tracks and most of the suspension of the loco/coaches. Building up the top surface of the baseboard to raise the height 8mm should do the trick.

Minor changes to the plan: I wasn't happy about the signal box being at the far end of the layout (it was there is hide the exit hole), so I have moved it to the end of the platform and will make the end of a brick/stone warehouse to cover the exit hole, possibly with it's own siding disappearing into the building. I can probably fit an over-the-track goods shed over one of the goods roads (probably the new GWR one from Hornby once they release it, again, enhanced and repainted to suit my needs/tastes).

Newport Station v.2.4.jpg

Edited by petejones
  • Like 2

Minor adjustments to the plan due to making the proposed rail-served warehouse the actual goods shed. This leaves the sidings free for cart/vehicle access. I started scratch-building the goods shed this morning as well - pics to follow:

Newport Station v.2.5.jpg

Edited by petejones
  • Like 1

This is the platform with the assembly joins and the very exaggerated flag stone joins infilled with fine polyfilla - I think a thin layer over the whole lot is the way to go, then I can scribe some cracks/blemishes into the surface once it's dry:

2020-09-08 Platform.jpg

Edited by petejones
  • Like 1

Finally, this is the interior of the signal box so far, built on struts so it's at the correct height and not fixed in so I can remove if necessary:

1686033271_2020-09-08SignalBoxInterior.jpg.4bb7d353c159b16ff131cf57a5add74d.jpg

Interior from the other side - more detailing to go and I will draw some black lines on the track diagram, plus I need a signalman (possibly seated in the chair reading the paper):

896024351_2020-09-08SignalBoxInterior.jpg.9e9aa2fa3f164f1d80db5060bc6bb9ee.jpg

Inside the box now, although you won't see the box from the front when it's on the layout (unless using a mini-drone):

2020-09-08 Signal Box.jpg

Edited by petejones
  • Like 2

A quick roof made from DCC Concepts plasticard (the grid is a nightmare of 1960s psychological horror, though, when you try and cut the stuff!):

267603061_2020-09-08GoodsShedRoof.jpg.2fff3b3762ea5a80de86518e4d5c97ff.jpg

From the end, you can see the pitch of the office building:

2115479501_2020-09-08GoodsShedRoof-End.jpg.0261ef6d39572eaee49eb99bac557389.jpg

And a basic platform inside - brick front edge; the surface will be concrete:

156898219_2020-09-08GoodsShedInterior.jpg.557ec3d1c2109523e69ee7853a892cbd.jpg

• Like 3

Hi 

The goods shed looks great. Just one problem, how would users get the goods out? The back of the shed is very lose to the main line, so it appears little or no space for a delivery vehicle. 

In a way, it would be better to swop the goods shed and engine shed around to give more space around the later building.

Nick 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stivesnick said:

The goods shed looks great. Just one problem, how would users get the goods out? The back of the shed is very lose to the main line, so it appears little or no space for a delivery vehicle.

Out the other end, so off-scene as far as the layout is concerned. It wasn't meant to stick out this far, more like half a building, but I found I had the room to make it this size.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, stivesnick said:

Hi 

In a way, it would be better to swop the goods shed and engine shed around to give more space around the later building.

Nick 

Yep, also:

• It's away from the goods yard so would be difficult for the staff to manage the two sides with two public access points.
  • You have to keep moving empties and full vans from one side of the station to the other.
  • Shunting vans into it will be really tedious because of the kickback and no track beyond it. Vans will have to fetched from the yard two at a time - and all those shunting moves will disappear off-scene in an unsatisfying way.
  • It's off a passenger line so has to be trapped and signalled in a very expensive, non-Cardi-Bach way.

(There's not enough room for a goods shed door to open at the moment, BTW.)

P.S. Bullhead rail sleepers are much more prone to becoming skewiff than standard track because they aren't connected in pairs like Code75/Code100.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Phil. Those are good points.

Originally I thought about a warehouse for a private siding - would that work better? I could make a different building for the front location and use this goods shed over in the yard - it should fit OK.

2 hours ago, Harlequin said:

There's not enough room for a goods shed door to open at the moment, BTW.

It's OK, I have a couple of doors from another model for this and they open outwards. Ironically, they were from a Ratio engine shed!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, petejones said:

It's OK, I have a couple of doors from another model for this and they open outwards. Ironically, they were from a Ratio engine shed!

Sorry. I was looking at your photo of the shed at Rhayader and imagining a sliding door like that. Of course hinged doors would neatly solve the problem!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's my suggestion:

I think you've got much too much going on and you should be thinking like the directors of a private railway and trying to make everything as economical as possible.

When you placed trains on the drawing above it looked like the run round was plenty big enough so you could:

• Abandon the bay platform.
  • Slim down the platform now that it's single sided to give more room to the yard.
  • Push the release crossover as far to the right as you dare, leaving just enough run round.
  • Put the goods shed on the spur off the run round.
  • Abandon the existing goods shed line or shorten it so it butts up to the shed, leaving just the mileage siding splaying enough to give room in the yard for access.
  • Replace the expensive slip with just a normal turnout leading to the engine shed.

In fact, I would go further and flip the whole station top to bottom so that the platform and station building are along the back and I'd try to get a few more curves in but you probably don;t want to do that.

P.S. Technically, you need some sort of trap where the run round rejoins the main line. That could be a dummy trap or for space reasons you could use your double slip there leading to a little stub siding.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Harlequin said:

In fact, I would go further and flip the whole station top to bottom so that the platform and station building are along the back and I'd try to get a few more curves in but you probably don;t want to do that.

Feel free to draw up one of your lovely track plans with your suggestions, Phil... the station at the back sounds like a good idea - that way the platform side of the building would be visible, rather than how it is now.

I have three left-hand and five right-hand turnouts available (all long radius as they are the bullhead ones) and a regular double slip (as a stand-in until Peco release the bullhead double slip).

Edited by petejones

I've had a go at flipping the plan. Initially I took the bay platform out, but I prefer it there, although it is shorter than previously so that the station building isn't shoved into the left-hand corner. My 'historical' justification for the bay platform at Newport is the extra summer traffic from holiday makers and tourists. The locals round this way see Newport as 'posh' and Cardigan as slightly downmarket, plus Cardigan doesn't have a seafront, only mud flats! (I see them regularly when I pass over the road bridge where the station used to be). Funnily enough, I've not been to Newport (yet) - I've been relying on google street view to have a look round.

Newport Station v.3.2.jpg

Edited by petejones

I've had another look round on google and found a potential site for the station, just outside Parrog, the line follows a very level footpath round (it has streetview down the footpath) and onto an area that is sufficient for a 600ft long station:1870568542_NewportSatellite.jpg.6ac0e3bf9bfedd15a4c7e2714866a652.jpg

PS: Phil, I took a look at the site you suggested and it doesn't look likely to me - the wrong side of the estuary, too much bridge-building and the land starts to rise once you get to where you put the station.