Swiss shunting plank

bantam61668

I'm starting to plan my next layout and thinking of a shunting plank based on the classic Timesaver track plan. I've been looking around for some inspiration and come up with an idea of basing the track loosely on the Nestle factory at Konolfingen but plan to use a variety of building kits I have accumulated over the years to allow plenty of wagon types.Here is my idea for a 6ftx1.5ft layout, I've never attempted anything like this before so any feedback on the plan and any ideas for modification are most welcome. I've based it around about 19cm for a wagon/loco which seems to be about right for most of my Swiss wagons and each siding been 2 or 3 wagon lengths.

10064301_ScreenShot2020-09-02at16_31_10.png.c02f7d9273510b44d5d2190d848a9b47.png

Here is the satellite view and track plan for the small yard at Konolfingen

IMG_0801.PNG.f5a6b241a74a351170e37dda484e637c.PNG

IMG_1245.jpg.bf464932cf7b082d11213801377c791a.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anadin Dogwalker said:

Nice job for an Em3/3- or are you using something else?

Neill Horton

Yes I have a Rivarossi Em3/3 that I plan to use or if I want to go back in time aTigerli, both are dcc fitted. My other possibilities are Bm4/4, Am840 or Am843 but they are probably all a bit big. I guess a small industrial shunter might work too, I have a Liliput fireless 0-4-0 that could be a good fit

Wagon access to the cement silo and kibri warehouse sidings seems very limited by the track where the loco shed is. It doesn't seem to be easy to shunt into there at all really, especially as to get a wagon to the warehouse it would need to be shunted into the loco shed first. That's the only bit that leaps out at me, rest of it looks a nice little shunting layout.

Looking good.

I know the location. The last time I was there an Am 843 was there in Infra livery. The Piko one measures 17 over the buffers.

A modern compact loco would be the HAG Eem 923 SBB Cargo which measures just 10.5 cm over the buffers and of course its a Hybrid so you would not need catenary everywhere...

Will take an interest in your progress.

Peter

P.S. my latest Swiss project is a tiny slice of Spiez station. Pictures will follow in a month or so.

1 hour ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Wagon access to the cement silo and kibri warehouse sidings seems very limited by the track where the loco shed is. It doesn't seem to be easy to shunt into there at all really, especially as to get a wagon to the warehouse it would need to be shunted into the loco shed first. That's the only bit that leaps out at me, rest of it looks a nice little shunting layout.

Agreed but looking at the layout at Konolfingen there isn’t much room in front of the shed either, guess they can fit the small internal shunter and 1 wagon there.
Maybe moving the shed over to the parallel line would be better, should still be room for a small loco to run round in front of the shed building and gives better access to the sidings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swisspeat said:

Looking good.

I know the location. The last time I was there an Am 843 was there in Infra livery. The Piko one measures 17 over the buffers.

A modern compact loco would be the HAG Eem 923 SBB Cargo which measures just 10.5 cm over the buffers and of course its a Hybrid so you would not need catenary everywhere...

Will take an interest in your progress.

Peter

P.S. my latest Swiss project is a tiny slice of Spiez station. Pictures will follow in a month or so.

Thanks, it’s a location I know pretty well too, my father in-law lives just down the toad in Zäziwil so I visit the area more often than I would like;)

I think the West end of Konolfingen would make a great model if only I had the space. As well as the Nestle factory there is the junction and the small depot between the lines to Thun and Bern, lots of operational interest.

Looking forward you seeing your version of Spiez, the retaining walls on my depot layout took inspiration from there.

13 hours ago, bantam61668 said:

Agreed but looking at the layout at Konolfingen there isn’t much room in front of the shed either, guess they can fit the small internal shunter and 1 wagon there.
Maybe moving the shed over to the parallel line would be better, should still be room for a small loco to run round in front of the shed building and gives better access to the sidings.

I think the difference between the prototype and your plan is that the prototype doesn't have the additional kickback siding that yours does that would mean a wagon being shunted into the loco shed rather than just the engine shunting inside the shed... although prototype for everything isn't there!

Another fun Swiss location for a shunting puzzle:

Screenshot_20200903-113735_Maps.jpg.4543aa281a88ac8eab6e9ce3b083a003.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Another fun Swiss location for a shunting puzzle:

Screenshot_20200903-113735_Maps.jpg.4543aa281a88ac8eab6e9ce3b083a003.jpg

Hang on a sec. Has that yard really got 2 scissors crossovers in the track layout? Nice!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrTea said:

Hang on a sec. Has that yard really got 2 scissors crossovers in the track layout? Nice!

Also some other potential nearby, right behind the yard upper left corner is a kids playground that is also occasionally used as an outdoor cinema, the yard deals in pure alcohol thus the tank wagons but also regular freight in the building between yard and through track, the road goes under the mainline but theres also a foot passage under the track at the corner of bahnhof strasse and just out of the pic on the left is the small passenger station, not to mention the tanks of alcohol in the industrial park top of pic.

• Informative/Useful 2

20 hours ago, MrTea said:

There as some great short sidings and loops as well, ideal place to model if you like Swiss trains and shunting ( who doesn't ).

Neil