Class 88/93

Dixie Dean

• RMweb Gold

I did once ask Joel at Dapol.

His thoughts were along the lines of how many would sell, considering there is only 1 livery at present. It wasnt a No, or a Never, but it wasnt a Yes either.

My guess is, like any business on any investment, they’d need to be convinced on the numbers, both cost, price and how many will sell, and balance it against the return of any other number of competing project ideas and their potential.

Several have acquired class 68 bodies and a hacksaw.

Edited by adb968008

2 hours ago, Dixie Dean said:

I just wondered if anyone from Dapol would care to comment as to whether they have given any thought to producing the Class 88/93 in OO gauge.

To the best of my knowledge Dapol does not participate on this forum so asking them a question here will result in silence.

Best therefore to try emailing them directly.

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Ed-farms said:

This was asked at the Dapol Open Day last year and the response was there is 2 liveries at present (the compass Logo has either Crewe or Carlisle at its centre) to be viable they need a 3rd livery so hopefully that turns up soon

Blimey, that is such a subtle difference it could be argued that there are ten different liveries as they all have different names/numbers!

I bet most people wouldn't spot the difference.

Roy

• Agree 5

57 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Blimey, that is such a subtle difference it could be argued that there are ten different liveries as they all have different names/numbers!

Roy

I bet hardly anyone even knew it...leave alone spot the difference.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Have they already got licence to make 88? Was it bundled with the 68 or can someone else come in and negotiate licence to produce.   Dapol made a fine job of the 68, and I bet the 88 would go down well , even in only one livery . If priced at the 68 level I'm sure people would buy multiples if they had different names /numbers  but same livery.

If they havent got licence this maybe Accurascale territory.  Must admit not knowing what a 93 is . Is it even ordered yet?

• RMweb Gold

I think it’s best to discount the Class 93 as there’s been little if any progress of it being built apart from being in the planning stage.  When I spoke to Dapol at Milton Keynes last year, he said that there was no intention of doing the Class 88 unless DRS change the livery on several members of the class.

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I think it’s best to discount the Class 93 as there’s been little if any progress of it being built apart from being in the planning stage.  When I spoke to Dapol at Milton Keynes last year, he said that there was no intention of doing the Class 88 unless DRS change the livery on several members of the class.

Not even ordered as I understand it. 

Roy

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

Not even ordered as I understand it. 

Roy

As you put in your earlier post, there’s lots issues getting a quart to fit into a pint pot.  If that’s the case, then the Class 93 could be dead in water.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jpendle said:

But the other approach would be to say, do all 10 CL88's, and then people could buy the whole fleet!

John P

Well, it’s not unknown for them to run in pairs :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Bottom line is how many people want more than just 1 or 2 of them? 

Exactly.

Most will buy one, some will buy 2.

Is there enough out there to buy maybe 3000 of them ?..

thats maybe 2500 of one, 500 of the second...

Lima struggled to sell 3000 of 92001 in the 1990’s, and thats when volumes were higher than now... class 92’s were dumped at retailers everywhere.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2

On ‎04‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 12:48, Roy Langridge said:

Roy

To be fair I never spotted the difference till they mentioned it, certainly wouldn't show on an N gauge model. Either way lets hope they find a 3rd livery, TPE 88 anyone?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, 7013 said:

I wonder what (if any) external differences there would be between an 88 and a 93?

Difficult to answer as the only "picture" of a 93 was a rendition of an 88 in ROG livery.

Latest wibble is that the 93 designation may end up being a freight loco with 6 axles!

Edited by newbryford
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/09/2020 at 20:06, adb968008 said:

Exactly.

Most will buy one, some will buy 2.

Is there enough out there to buy maybe 3000 of them ?..

thats maybe 2500 of one, 500 of the second...

Lima struggled to sell 3000 of 92001 in the 1990’s, and thats when volumes were higher than now... class 92’s were dumped at retailers everywhere.

Yet Hornby are somehow getting blood from a stone with that tooling, despite putting a cheese slicer on the roof!

Edited by letterspider
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, letterspider said:

Yet Hornby are somehow getting blood from a stone with that tooling, despite putting a cheese slicer on the roof!

Actually they never used the Lima tooling, despite being much better in my opinion. 
They used their own tooling, which was a duplicate made in competition using the old Hornby motor, where as Lima used their pancake (as used in the 59/60).