Track shortages

martinapsid

They stopped production for a few weeks to make PPE, and they are back with reduced factory capacity. And we all went mad on lockdown projects and used up all the existing stocks so restocking is taking time. 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Wheatley has hit it pretty much on the nail, there is COVID backlog. :)

However to add to this, just as it was getting back to normal their IT systems were hit with some form of malware attack which wiped out the stock and ordering systems. This put them offline for another couple of weeks, and they have only recently re-started deliveries again (and even this isn't quite back to normal, as the malware attack is still ongoing and they are actually using Excel spreadsheets to manually process orders!).

All things considered they've been through a fair amount in the past couple of months but stock is flowing through again now, especially of track and other sundry items. :)

HTH

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

Received 10 various turnouts and 12 yards of OO gauge Code 75 track yesterday from the large Widnes reseller. Long wait but they are now showing stock across broad swathes of Peco codes.

Edited by MR Chuffer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I have had code 75 concrete sleeper one yard lengths on order for 2-3 months, still no sign of them. Unfortunately I do not know of any other supplier who do a similar/same product. We appear to be stuck with Peco when it comes to this code 75 track.

Edited by 7013
spelling

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Received some lengths of track that I needed from Alton Model Centre, I was like a cat that got the cream, I can now continue building my layout. As a happy customer I can say Alton give excellent service and Paul is very helpful. Big shout for the smaller shops.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, raetiamann said:

I was hoping to get the bits to go southern 3rd rail, but no one retailers has the three items, IL-1, IL-120 & IL-210, though I hadn't thought about Alton MC.  I'll  take a look.

Peco website is showing them all in stock 

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, nickwood said:

I’ve been waiting since May for Peco bullhead points from Rails. Still showing on back order. Nobody else seems to have them either.

I was in Rails shop on Tuesday , ordered 8 Bullhead points and a box of Bullhead track. They said it should be with them by the end of October. Can`t proceed with my layout without. Frustrating as so much time due to Covid................... 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 07/10/2020 at 16:24, nickwood said:

I’ve been waiting since May for Peco bullhead points from Rails. Still showing on back order. Nobody else seems to have them either.

Try Orwell Model Railways, they have some in stock.

It appears Peco have been sharing the code 75 Bullhead items around as fairly as possible, so all dealers (large & small) got some. The big mail order suppliers probably used up their allocations filling back-orders. I know I have been quite lucky in obtaining my requirements from smaller dealers.

On 03/09/2020 at 05:13, Derails Models said:

(and even this isn't quite back to normal, as the malware attack is still ongoing and they are actually using Excel spreadsheets to manually process orders!).

HTH

Don't tell me they lost ~15,000 orders because they have an old version of excel?! :wink_mini:

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Thought I'd fire a quick update in here, I must first give Peco credit for keeping retailers up to date, be it through our Sales Reps or via their email channels - well done them!

• Despatch to retailers has sped up significantly, they have a decent handle on that now, thanks to a strengthening in their despatch team. As you naturally expect, t's not up to pre-lockdown levels which means you can't order something from a retailer on a Monday and them have it on Thursday, but for the current circumstances they're doing very well!
  • Production team also being strengthened and working extra hours to keep up with the backlog. The benefits of this will take a short time to be seen but once in place, things should improve further.
  • New items are still being developed (I know someone is going to ask so no, I don't have an estimated arrival date on the Bullhead slips and crossovers :derisive:) so we will see new items being released over the coming months. 

All in all, well done Peco for doing their best to get a handle on the situation. Keep checking in with your local retailer if you're after something, as if they haven't got it, I'm sure they can get it , even if it does take a couple of weeks or so! :sungum:

Edited by Derails Models
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

This all sounds excellent. I read that railwsy modelling is booming and it sounds as if peco are very busy. Thats got to be good. Downside is that prices will rise if demand is high, witness the seemingly exponential increase in rolling stock prices.

Ian

• 6 months later...

Looks like they have received some more track as i now have notification for another partial shipment of peco track arriving tomorrow. 

Just waiting for SL-E189, 191 and 192 items now. 

• 2 weeks later...