Scottish Steam - Matti's Workbench

Matti8

On 25/09/2020 at 02:08, Londontram said:

I would say that is definitely a River kit judging by the step up over the cylinders, I would say the only Caley loco to come close would be a class 60 but the step is way to big for that.

The 191 class had the same sort of step as the Rivers:

https://images.app.goo.gl/cKGVFiMwgpsFb17X6

• RMweb Premium

Luck had nothing to do with it, l just happen to know that the Caley tried to build their own version of the Rivers and somehow didn’t manage to get close.....

Andy G

• Like 1

9 hours ago, uax6 said:

Only use the T9's for Big Bens mind! The Wee Bens are significantly less tall, and the Sutherland kit is well worth the buy for them. Dave at SEF will spin one for you, although a few bits are missing from the moulds, but they are just details you can make up yourself (I've got a couple in the part built pile, that I must document and continue with!). The chassis for these might be a bit more of a challenge, I know Richard is using Adams radials, and Brian at Branchlines didn't have the specific ones in the haul when I spoke to him, but the Caley 4-4-0s and the D49 chassis are the same, so could be used.

Andy G

Interesting... But is the Hornby T9 not the same size as the SEF T9? I thought Richard used it for the small ones and when looking at pictures I can't see any resemblance between the Hornby and large one. But maybe I will just wait for Falcon Brassworks to reintroduce the Jidenco Ben's.

Matti

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Matti8 said:

Interesting... But is the Hornby T9 not the same size as the SEF T9? I thought Richard used it for the small ones and when looking at pictures I can't see any resemblance between the Hornby and large one. But maybe I will just wait for Falcon Brassworks to reintroduce the Jidenco Ben's.

Matti

Richard used the Hornby T9’s to make his Bens, but they are really much too tall. SEF have acquired the nu-cast moulds, and in there is the Sutherland moulds for the Wee Ben, which Richard is/has made up to fit on Radial chassis T9 replace his T9 based ones. 
SEF’s T9 is the wide bodied version with watercart that Hornby has also done. 
It maybe that the SEF chassis will fit the Wee Ben, as l think there is a slight wheelbase dimension issue with the original kit....

l have (somewhere) made a very good Big Ben from a T9, in LMS days when they all had super heaters and extended smoke boxes. 

Andy G

• Like 1

Yes, the whole Ben set up was a bodge, and really should have been kept away from the camera. The replacements have ground to a halt- the bodies are done and the first is being fettled to the chassis, and has been since before last Xmas...Here it is  - I must get back to this one....

20200127_211010.jpg.d15361520280a1829360ccc9791dce72.jpg

The T9 is really too large for any HR type, that actually existed that is, but Peter D drew up a range of locos that never made it and one of them was more or less a direct copy of his brother's  T9, so one of my conversions now masquerades as an example of this proposed class...

IMG_1430.JPG.9382b0dfc2230bc988fc9ffff176127d.JPG

As its tender is going to be used behind the replacement I gave it a watercart one I had lying around. I know it is a D Drummond one rather than his brothers but as the two collaborated so closely I am sticking with it as it is...

Edited by Ben Alder
  • Like 2

Discussing the picture of the kit, Matti mentioned (and discounted) the possibility of it being a 956 class. I had a look in my copy of Volume 3 of “An Illustrated History of LMS Locomotives”. The 956 class also had the step up over the outside cylinders, as well as other details like the splashers similar to those of the Rivers. It would appear that Pickersgill believed that if he built engines that looked like the Rivers, they would perform like the Rivers. That didn’t go so well.

image.jpeg.a0260a7ab430d004d275c0888e036f68.jpeg

But going back to the picture of the kit, I think there’s a former in it for a Belpaire firebox (top left in the picture). That would seem to confirm that it’s a River, since both the 191s and 956s had roundtop fireboxes.

Edited by pH
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, uax6 said:

I agree with the Belpaire F/box that it is looking more like a River, but its not a DJH kit, is it a Falcon one?

Andy G

Its not one in any list I ever saw. While the etchings were more a scratch building aid the turned chimneys and domes were nice. Sadly its gone otherwise it might have been interesting to buy. 

On 27/09/2020 at 18:03, Ben Alder said:

Yes, the whole Ben set up was a bodge, and really should have been kept away from the camera. The replacements have ground to a halt- the bodies are done and the first is being fettled to the chassis, and has been since before last Xmas...Here it is  - I must get back to this one....

20200127_211010.jpg.d15361520280a1829360ccc9791dce72.jpg

The T9 is really too large for any HR type, that actually existed that is, but Peter D drew up a range of locos that never made it and one of them was more or less a direct copy of his brother's  T9, so one of my conversions now masquerades as an example of this proposed class...

IMG_1430.JPG.9382b0dfc2230bc988fc9ffff176127d.JPG

As its tender is going to be used behind the replacement I gave it a watercart one I had lying around. I know it is a D Drummond one rather than his brothers but as the two collaborated so closely I am sticking with it as it is...

I see what you and Andy mean now. Bigger differences than I had thought! But still charming either way IMO.

Matti

On 28/09/2020 at 01:14, pH said:

Discussing the picture of the kit, Matti mentioned (and discounted) the possibility of it being a 956 class. I had a look in my copy of Volume 3 of “An Illustrated History of LMS Locomotives”. The 956 class also had the step up over the outside cylinders, as well as other details like the splashers similar to those of the Rivers. It would appear that Pickersgill believed that if he built engines that looked like the Rivers, they would perform like the Rivers. That didn’t go so well.

image.jpeg.a0260a7ab430d004d275c0888e036f68.jpeg

But going back to the picture of the kit, I think there’s a former in it for a Belpaire firebox (top left in the picture). That would seem to confirm that it’s a River, since both the 191s and 956s had roundtop fireboxes.

That's my thoughts exactly. I'm wondering if it was a one off etch that someone designed and commissioned from some company just for their personal project.

Matti

• 1 month later...

Hello, apologies for no updates in a month and a half. You would not believe how difficult it is to get decent solder around here. Unbelievable. Does anyone know if I can get Carr's products here or even in the US? Anyways I got ahead of myself and bought another loco kit. Will post it here soon.

Edited by Matti8
  • Like 1

Well here we are - yet another kit to sit until I finish the River. I couldn't resist especially after hearing it would be discontinued. It was a bit of an early Christmas present anyways so I will wait. (Until I learn how to roll etched boilers!)

Matti

PicsArt_11-18-01.20.42.jpg

• Like 3

• Matti8 changed the title to Scottish Steam - Matti's Workbench

Sorry for there being no updates as I've had very little time in the past few months. Finishing up school has been my main priority.

I am still waiting on solder! In the meantime I got so fed up of sitting around that I decided something had to be done. Of course the obvious answer was to start another project (eye roll).

This one will be a Caley 652 specifically 17631 as numbered by the LMS. I am using plasticard because I was really inspired by @Londontramand his charming scratchbuilds.

1418290432_BR57631-Imgur.jpg.6c0ce7269d4f78a15784a3a18c753b69.jpg

Matti

Edited by Matti8
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have cutout a few pieces already.

IMG_1198.jpg.fac9b35814a34116aefbe3c6a8a790a6.jpg

IMG_1205.jpg.bc5c7c2914fc2328e1cf7e50eb8bbdf9.jpg

The running plate is made of two layers in order to provide enough strength. The marks on the top are burns from solvent based adhesive which I will be very wary of when using again. Thankfully it did not cause any real damage as I was able to sand it smooth.

IMG_1207.jpg.b7782f5b68def3e27189921bad390b4a.jpg

The cab front is alright although it still needs some tweaks like opening up the spectacles a bit.

IMG_1208.jpg.e202fe69ef7008a326197cf9f1f1a167.jpg

I also did one side of the front splashers. I can't believe that it looks so nice but I am not looking forward to making another.

A few more bits were made for the cab but not worth pictures. And yes, I realise that this is not enough material to warrant a post but I just wanted to. I am going to work on this almost everyday so finally I can actually post consistently.

Best wishes,

Matti

Edited by Matti8
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

I like that idea of the double layer on the running plate I never thought of that, I always went for a valance made from square section brass rod glued with superglue. So far I've never had one come off and by the time you build up the body it won't twist. The other advantage is I can make the steps out of brass so there super strong and won't get knocked off with handling and these can be soldered direct to this valance rail.

At the end of the day there's no right or wrong way it's just what we get on with best.

20210422_075318.jpg

This also let's you line things up on a scale drawing before fitting, here the valance rail with the steps fitted being checked 

20210422_075843.jpg

Love this thread keep up the good work and keep the updates coming.

Steve

Edited by Londontram
Add photo
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Glad you liked the idea, Steve. It just happened to pop into my head while I was tracing the outline on plasticard. Besides strength my main intention was for it to provide a back to the valances. I like your method as well, it looks very strong indeed. Perhaps I will try it if I go for a 34 class or another with a long running plate in the future.

On another note I got along with the cab sides.

IMG_20210426_224445.jpg.4265091c7bed5133d39624ad872361ae.jpg

Should I glue the stripping around the cutouts before or after I glue them to the cab front?

Matti

• Like 1

If it was me I'd add the beading now, sat on a flat back ground it should be easier to get an even beading.

I've fitted it as the last job on a finished model and wished I hadn't so next one I build I'll do it at the stage your at now with the can sides on a flat surface.

I like to build on a flat glass plate and I found a glass table mat at one of the £ shops but something like a mirror works the same just make sure it's got rounded off edges not just a glass pane Or you will catch it one day and could cause a nasty cut.

Doing jobs like this I find any over run of glue sticks less to the glass than it does to wood.

Edited by Londontram
Spelling correction
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

In a months time I have accomplished a decent amount (at least for my standards).

IMG_20210506_193157.jpg.032d7ce8dc220f28817d319d4f892d12.jpg

The beading went on after much fuss. It was such a horrible process, in fact, that I would not wish it on my worst enemy.

IMG_20210509_142550.jpg.3c2f788b771c71cf79187f0d0b38b0f5.jpg

IMG_20210509_142633.jpg.5c86fb0d1bf9d6a7fdb1a9a8e5a30385.jpg

Here is the cab sat on the running board nearly awaiting an interior floor and roof.

IMG_20210602_175203.jpg.fec29dde59d6fdd9334c8daf9d97869a.jpg

I did not take pictures of boiler construction but there was not really much to see apart from some ridiculous looking jigs which I put together. But here it is placed into position. Seeing it this way is very pleasing as it gives me the illusion that there isn't much more to do.

I started the wingplate as well but I might redo it.

That's all for now!

-Matti

• Like 5