Is this the new norm?? Where on a layout would you put this??

On 06/09/2020 at 12:27, Steamport Southport said:

To be honest I find those others usually worse than the "adult" themes. Seen too many decent layouts ruined by unfunny gimmicks over the years. However I feel that on some layouts they fit in. Look at Miniatur Wunderland. If you go to MW you are going to see worse sights in the local area. It's right by the red light district!

Most of the time the "funny names" aren't even funny and scenes like drunks brawling are often just pitiful. But whatever floats your boat.

Just be aware that if you are exhibiting something risqué then somebody may take offence. Especially if there is children expected to be present.

Jason

"If you go to MW you are going to see worse sights in the local area. It's right by the red light district!"

No its not,  At least a 13 mins bus ride to the Reeperbahn or a good 40 minute walk.

there are lovely walks around the new Harbour and Warehouse district with no Red bubls in sight at all.

image.png.1a467fd37c54c08c316d7ba43be25f79.png

• RMweb Premium

Found a reverse story to this one.

In an issue of Railway Modeller (this century), there is this tale from a PotM author, who writes:-

I abandoned interest in railways. After all I was sixteen and more adult activities required my attention! The Hornby Dublo was offered for sale and I acquired the title of student.

Later that year a student with a free evening sauntered into a newsagents' shop and asked for a 'magazine'. Browsing was not permitted in those days, and he was offered the type of periodical which is now categorised as 'male entertainment' but, spotting a familiar cover, an astounded shop assistant sold him the October edition of Railway Modeller.

The following weekend, back home... (town identifying details omitted)

the unsold Hornby Dublo was resurrected and the author was hooked for life!

Now I'm not going to name the author (and certainly I don't think the title of shame, is at all applicable) or the layout name, as I don't have the authors permission to do so. Maybe he is on RMweb and wants to identify himself? I don't know and haven't looked.

Indeed it is the sort of thing I would have done, rather than buy girly mags. Like this author, I haven't seriously deviated away from railways, especially model ones.

Also it shows the logic behind Peco, keeping the external appearance of the Railway Modeller the same over the decades.

• RMweb Gold

I have to agree with Andy about this, having already stated that I accept my local brothel as part of local life, and at that far less objectionable than the streetwalkers that occasionally accost me or the very prominent local drug scene.  One does not see naked people; the brothel’s activities take place in rooms with drawn curtains.  

In my railway days I was once accompanying the driver in the cab of a Hymek on the 00.35 Peterborough Parcels, and while we were stopped at Newport a middle aged couple had a standy uppy kneetrembler against the wall of the (closed for the night) buffet, but they remained mostly clothed, very sensibly as it was a cold night.  We gave them a tap on the horn when they’d finished, and to their considerable credit they took a bow!  Sex happens in public, but it’s rare that you actually see it, and a bit worrying if you are deliberately looking out for it!  

I would not model a brothel, which would be unlikely in a small mining village anyway (though there might be a local lady discreetly operating as an independent from home), unless I were modelling an actual location where there was a brothel; same goes for streetwalkers.  

It is true that many big stations are close to red light districts and are probably what attracted the trade in the first place.  But not many of us model really big stations.  I suppose there are places where Naturist camps are close to railways, but by and large these tend to be discreetly situated in remote areas. 

To each his own, and I have no objection to what you model on your own layouts, but I think care should be taken if they are to be publicly exhibited; if you must, have it around the back where it has to be looked for and don’t point it out to all and sundry with a smirk on your face.  

We are not a nation of prudes, I’m certainly not, but that doesn’t mean I want to go out of my way to include naked people on my layout.  Are these naked people predominantly attractive young women?

Thought so. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

"If you go to MW you are going to see worse sights in the local area. It's right by the red light district!"

No its not,  At least a 13 mins bus ride to the Reeperbahn or a good 40 minute walk.

there are lovely walks around the new Harbour and Warehouse district with no Red bubls in sight at all.

image.png.1a467fd37c54c08c316d7ba43be25f79.png

The Reeperbahn is where the "legal" activity goes on and is full of clubs and is a bit touristy. The dock area is where the dodgy stuff happens....

Jason

10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

The Reeperbahn is where the "legal" activity goes on and is full of clubs and is a bit touristy. The dock area is where the dodgy stuff happens....

Jason

Wah, news to me, the Dock area Looked pretty clinical last December and when I visited and over the past 4 years, Mind you would not be on the look out really ;) St Georg area has some rough stuff by all accounts. yest to explore that side.

15 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

1979 at Kings Norton just after closing time on a Sunday night. I was trying to find a fault on an RT Reed remote control system during commissioning some alterations for the original Birmingham Cross City service. I won't go into details but the curtains were closed very quickly when she noticed the lights round the location case at the end of the garden.

Must have made an impression, for such detailed recollection 40+ years on :D.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, PatB said:

Must have made an impression, for such detailed recollection 40+ years on :D.

Not so much as spending two hours in freezing fog next to the canal at Bournville correcting errors in the changeover supervised by a so-called expert in the system. Less said about him the better but he retired with a very impressive CV.

Cadburys had a 'Nookie Shed' just by Bournville station where couples could be seen sneeking in during the night shift. That building didn't have any windows.

• Friendly/supportive 1

A few years back at an exhibition (possibly Warley), I spent some time admiring a French layout in O gauge.

It was a street scene with cafe's, tabacs, figures on the street with french sticks under their arms, and a couple of those 'corregated' citroen cars. I think you get the picture.

No doubt Rene was there somewhere too.

The buildings looked absolutely fabulous.

Then I peered closer and looked in the windows above one of the cafe's....

The place was a bordello!!!  And it was doing a roaring trade too!!! :o

Suffice to say, I just laughed. :lol:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 04/09/2020 at 09:27, adb968008 said:

Budapest Keleti, Warsaw Centralna, Frankfurt, Vienna Nord all have a presence of groupies in close proximity eager to cheer on railway enthusiasts..:wacko: who may exit the station looking for places to take pictures of arriving / departing trains and end up seeing something altogether distracting.

I must always take the wrong exit at Warsawa Centralna then, as I've never seen such activities - either the photographers or the distractions! It's a fair walk to get anywhere to watch the trains anyway as the station is in the middle of a long tunnel - You'd be better off at Zachodnia (West) or Wschodnia (East).

Edited by Nick C
spelling!

• RMweb Gold

In olden times the horizontal mambo and railways were a better mix - think of single compartments! You know it takes so many minutes before the next station and so you and the lady get up to whatever. In my first job I was working with a guy who'd been signalman at Steyning. On a Saturday evening, the last train would often pull out of the station and stop for water just past the signalbox. The train he could see was full of opportunistic activities.

I have other secondhand stories of the same timeless pastime, but sense from the lack of likes that this thread makes people uneasy. Informative.  

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Nick C said:

I must always take the wrong exit at Warsawa Centralna then, as I've never seen such activities - either the photographers or the distractions! It's a fair walk to get anywhere to watch the trains anyway as the station is in the middle of a long tunnel - You'd be better off at Zachodnia (West) or Wschodnia (East).

Depends what your looking for, but I was referring to what you might see down the street next to the Marriott at Warsaw Centralna.. .

For the other two, Ive only seen trains, including at Zachodnia the occasional Ex-EWS class 66. I was on a train that was involved in near 100mph fatal collision on route to Wshodnia once.. an hour before hand the incident, the driver gave me a cab ride in it from the depot to Bialystok, to work that train.

Edited by adb968008

• 2 weeks later...

The breadth of unsual and rather, in some cases,  bizarre, what were they thinking, scenic accessories from our Germanic friends is quite mind boggling

Who, or indeed how many, would need a 1/87 Angela Merkel or Pope Francis for instance? (Who has a fantastic facial expression in model form BTW)

https://www.preiser-figuren.de/preiser-28203-1:87-angela-merkel-–-preiser,art-34678

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/preiser-pr28208.html

When the risque stuff first appeared on the shelves, it caused a giggle, but the novelty soon wore off. 

There must be a market out there somewhere for them to make such items.  Perhaps they are relying on the buying it on impulse for laugh and regretting it later  market.

Andy

Hi all,

I do not know if it has been mentioned. But Preiser  also do a range of naked figures. Not in quite the same inflagrante positions but naked none the less.

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/model-railways/preiser-brand5/preiser-pr10106.html

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/model-railways/preiser-brand5/preiser-pr10107.html

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/model-railways/preiser-brand5/preiser-pr10439.html

Edited by cypherman

I think the Germans tend to have broader minds than us uptight Brits.

A survey a few years ago showed that 4/10 indulged in, or at least were supportive of, naturism. In Britain it took six (at least) police cars to arrest one man attempting to walk from Lands End to John o'Groats in the buff!

They seem to have given both Angela and 'Il Papa' the smug face of the 1% and their lackeys.

Edited by Il Grifone

I don't object to these figures per se - when it comes down to it, they're just tiny bits of plastic. And I guess Rule One doesn't just apply to the trains. If that's what you want on your layout, it's not for me to dictate otherwise. And yeah, sometimes that kind of thing is realistic in an urban environment (although I think the Internet has moved much of it behind closed doors, or the ladies are much more discreet than they used to be).

But to be honest, I find those "ha ha look, a naked woman" visual gags slightly sad. A bit too reminiscent of those awful 70s "comedies" that were just an excuse for nudity. Given the unkind perception of this hobby in some quarters, I can't help but feel that a bunch of grown men chuckling at a tiny plastic naked woman doesn't exactly send the best message. Call me a prude if you will.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

13 minutes ago, HonestTom said:

I don't object to these figures per se - when it comes down to it, they're just tiny bits of plastic. And I guess Rule One doesn't just apply to the trains. If that's what you want on your layout, it's not for me to dictate otherwise. And yeah, sometimes that kind of thing is realistic in an urban environment (although I think the Internet has moved much of it behind closed doors, or the ladies are much more discreet than they used to be).

But to be honest, I find those "ha ha look, a naked woman" visual gags slightly sad. A bit too reminiscent of those awful 70s "comedies" that were just an excuse for nudity. Given the unkind perception of this hobby in some quarters, I can't help but feel that a bunch of grown men chuckling at a tiny plastic naked woman doesn't exactly send the best message. Call me a prude if you will.

Cold day....

:prankster:

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, SM42 said:

The breadth of unsual and rather, in some cases,  bizarre, what were they thinking, scenic accessories from our Germanic friends is quite mind boggling

Who, or indeed how many, would need a 1/87 Angela Merkel or Pope Francis for instance? (Who has a fantastic facial expression in model form BTW)

I haven't got Pope Francis, but I have got Benedict XVI, and am keeping him busy.

022.jpg

• Like 1