Is this the new norm?? Where on a layout would you put this??

Not just Kings Cross; I remember being accosted by ladies of the night just around the side of Leeds main station. No doubt all been gentrified since, but I think it was within the last 20 years, so legitimate modelling territory even for recent times. Obviously though, they were/are not naked -that seems a bit unnecessary on a layout to me, but other views are valid as well!

• RMweb Gold
On 04/09/2020 at 08:58, rob D2 said:

Bonking 4mm figures so old school.

I wrote about The “ standing naked hitler “ figure I found on eBay “ for OO models railways “, recently .

That  caught me out a bit.

Are you sure it was just his arm raised like that?

• Funny 2

Nothing wrong with consenting adults having a quick laugh at something like this but I'd have to question the maturity of someone who finds it funny long enough to actually order the figures and put them on a model railway.

I agree that they're just a bit naff, people should stick to the overused "man reading newspaper on the toilet" or naming lineside industries "Norfolk & Goode" if they really want to get a chuckle out of people viewing the layout.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Binky said:

Nothing wrong with consenting adults having a quick laugh at something like this but I'd have to question the maturity of someone who finds it funny long enough to actually order the figures and put them on a model railway.

I agree that they're just a bit naff, people should stick to the overused "man reading newspaper on the toilet" or naming lineside industries "Norfolk & Goode" if they really want to get a chuckle out of people viewing the layout.

To be honest I find those others usually worse than the "adult" themes. Seen too many decent layouts ruined by unfunny gimmicks over the years. However I feel that on some layouts they fit in. Look at Miniatur Wunderland. If you go to MW you are going to see worse sights in the local area. It's right by the red light district!

Most of the time the "funny names" aren't even funny and scenes like drunks brawling are often just pitiful. But whatever floats your boat.

Just be aware that if you are exhibiting something risqué then somebody may take offence. Especially if there is children expected to be present.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

No I’ve got it...it’s clear now.

These scenes would fit my layout.

Its set in the late 90s....I was single, top of my game, had girlfriends.....wasn’t married....

Scenes of sex are not tacky poop......they are Nostalgia !!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi all,

In the not to distant past of my fuzzy memory I seem to remember a layout that had a bonking couple in what appeared to be a hotel bedroom. With the windows open. It was a French layout if memory serves me right It videoed on Youtube. It is typical that the Germans make the models, But it is the French who have used them.... :heat:. And we  The British in our not so laid back attitude just TUT TUT them. IMHO the French have a much more liberal leaning to sort of thing. But no there have been none on any of my layouts in the past and not likely to be in the future. :ok:

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What is far worse than what some might consider as obscene, is models of people doing dangerous things. Specifically for railway modellers, is dangerous acts involving trains.

Most of us have probably seen the thread on 'Level Crossing Stupidity', but creating a similar scene on our models CANNOT in any way be considered funny. It is probably acceptable, if it is comes under a description of railway safety, but I think it would need care to do so.

2 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

In the not to distant past of my fuzzy memory I seem to remember a layout that had a bonking couple in what appeared to be a hotel bedroom. With the windows open. It was a French layout if memory serves me right It videoed on Youtube. It is typical that the Germans make the models, But it is the French who have used them.... :heat:. And we  The British in our not so laid back attitude just TUT TUT them. IMHO the French have a much more liberal leaning to sort of thing. But no there have been none on any of my layouts in the past and not likely to be in the future. :ok:

There was certainly a French outline G-scale layout at one of the exhibitions I attended which had a Brothel as one of the main buildings in the street. If you looked through the building windows, the interior room scenes were quite illuminating.......(and rather more visible at 1:22.5 scale than HO or N..)

Given that the layout was the ideal height for children visiting the exhibition to also peer through the windows, I did wonder if it was such a good idea :o

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

Brothel as one of the main buildings in the street. 

I read that a leading (?) German brothel has gone bankrupt. We might have assumed that certain activities never go out of fashion. Lockdown even stifled that. 

• RMweb Gold

I have never in my 68 years on the planet heard of a brothel going bankrupt.  Strange times indeed.  The one around the corner from me closed during lockdown but is now back up and running, the neon light over the open outside door making it look all the more sleazy.  Good luck to them; they are not causing any harm to anyone, and it keeps the girls off the street.  

But the curtains are always drawn, and, if you were to model it, there are no bonking naked people that you can see from the outside (I haven’t looked that hard, honest).   

On 06/09/2020 at 12:04, Binky said:

Then I must be certifiable as immature, as I got these figures and I’m going to have a brothel. Nothing wrong with growing old disgracefully :D 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

But that's not disgraceful, just sleazy...:nono:

we strive to make our layouts as realistic as possible and recreate real life in miniature regardless on your views on them brothels exist in real life. Let’s take this further if an individual was an atheist would they be upset at a church, priesser also do a group of demonstrators would people also be upset if they disagreed with demonstrations.  A car crash scene can be just as upsetting to someone is it wrong to depict such scenes. The point I’m trying to make is if a certain scenario fits your design theme then there is nothing wrong with it. Or are we just a nation of prudes

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

Or are we just a nation of prudes

No; we're not but when was the last time you saw a couple at it through a window? If you want to model a sleazy part of town then model Johnster's local with its neon sign or even streetwalkers under the railway bridge then that's something which could be seen. There's just something unsettlingly pervy about a fixation with such, I bet none of the other building interiors are modelled; just that one, with a light, to draw attention to it.

10 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

No; we're not but when was the last time you saw a couple at it through a window?

As a train driver these things do occur, especially in built up areas. Or on occasion on the train. In fact a few weeks ago I had to empty a train of passengers and when I checked the toilets it was occupied and a female shouted” go away we are trying to have sex in here” accompanied by the usuals sounds of such activity.

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

No; we're not but when was the last time you saw a couple at it through a window?

1979 at Kings Norton just after closing time on a Sunday night. I was trying to find a fault on an RT Reed remote control system during commissioning some alterations for the original Birmingham Cross City service. I won't go into details but the curtains were closed very quickly when she noticed the lights round the location case at the end of the garden.

Back in the swinging sixties there were several office affairs going on near to ours where the participants were a bit careless about taking account of the advent of tower blocks. 

3 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

As a train driver these things do occur, especially in built up areas. Or on occasion on the train.

I well remember word going along the omnibus circuit between signalboxes about where to look on the last train. Great hilarity one night when the young lady in question was seen leaving the train by a signalman and it turned out to be his station master's daughter.

• Like 1