Custom Nameplates 00 scale

I am looking to do an intercity power car 43188 , however to the best of my knowledge the "City of Plymouth" HST nameplates dont exist for 00 gauge. 

In the past I have used railtec transfers, however according to the website it isnt doing custom nameplates at present and this has been the case since at least January so can anyone reccomend anyone who would be able to do such plates as a custom job? 

Thanks

Neither do modern diesels though.

I think the Railtec issue is down to the etchers not working during lockdown.

The two place that I would have expected to have them don't. Jackson Evans/Modelmaster and Shawplan.

I think Shawplan used to do commissions, but I can't find whether he still does.

https://modelmaster.uk/306-4mm-tops-class-43?id_category=306&n=48

http://www.shawplan.com/class43.htm

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

Their Sans Lower nameplates state they’re suitable for some diesel and electric locos. They look similar enough to what I recall seeing in the mid eighties. Not sure how modern City of Plymouth is/was.

KInd regards,

Iain

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

I do pretty much everything myself (design of artwork, web site code, social media, physically making both the 2d and 3d product, development and testing of new concepts, database administration, legal compliance, making the tea and as many other things as humanly possible to keep Railtec in the air) so there's no dependency on any third party etchers for me to do the 3d work. The custom 3d plates have been unavailable since earlier in the year simply because of the continued colossal incoming volume of requests for stock items off the site and particularly for new designs. I will switch that back on at some point, though it does eat up quite a bit of time to research every plate to get the spacing, typeface and even mounting bolts bang on. Ok, 95% of people might be happy with a generic style plate so long as it's the right colour, but that's just not the Railtec way, and if I don't make a design the best it can be then it will irk me.

There's an equal argument to say that whenever somebody orders a bunch of custom loco numbers that it is equally labour intensive, as I research every single loco to get the correct number spacing, but I get the sense that if people had to choose at this precise moment in time between "ready made custom loco number of your choice" vs "custom nameplate of your choice", that the former might come out in favour.

Specifically in the case of 43188 City of Plymouth, the plate itself wouldn't be too much work, but it does have an accompanying crest (at least at some point in its Intercity career) - and anyone who knows anything about graphic design (as I've discovered since I started Railtec) will tell you that crests can very quickly turn into a huge amount of work - at least to get looking good.

Edited by railtec-models
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6