Reading and Northern Industrial Spur Mk 2

Alcanman

It's been well over 2 years since I built my last US small switching layout,  The Marlborough Branch. A conventional 'inglenook' track arrangement worked well but since then I been looking for something a little different.

I recently came upon John Errrington's excellent RSSX Railserve layout on YouTube which featured an interchange track serving as an on scene staging track, with the whole layout scenicked. Now that was different to my usual layouts with hidden or partially hidden staging.

I managed to reduce to track plan to fit my usual 9ft x 15ins in HO, whilst maintaining the 4 industry spurs.

The purchase of an Reading & Northern MP15dc switcher meant I could locate the layout in Pennsylvania. The R&N interchanges with Norfolk Southern  at various locations in PA, so my NS GP38-2 could be used to bring in cars for interchange. 

Construction of the layout began last weekend , using my time honored method of fixing 12mm MDF onto a 3ins x 1ins timber frame built over 20 years ago!

Mal

ps. The photo of #1540 is on an old layout.

R&N Industrial Spur 2.jpg

R&N MP15dc #1540 022.JPG

DT - 1.jpg

train room 30.4.19 003.JPG

• Like 10

I've loosely placed some track to see if my track plan works, and, I think it should be OK with some minor tweaking. The 2 main warehouses have been re-cycled from previous layouts and the hopper unloading shed was recently built specifically for this layout.

I've shuffled a few cars around to ensure switching moves will work. Basically, 3 or 4 cars will be staged on the interchange track, having been shoved in by NS. The R&N switcher will proceed to switch cars leaving out-bound cars on the interchange.

I'm looking at various locations where NS and R&N interchange and will choose a suitable prototype location although the industries are, of course, purely fictional.

r&n 4.9.20 005.JPG

r&n 4.9.20 004.JPG

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

Another nice and realistic switching layout plan! Certainly don't need a runaround siding and you have a nice selection of industries. Looking forward to seeing this progress. My current switching layout has basically one large industry (a cardboard container plant) and a smaller team track. I included a runaround siding on the plan, strictly so the locomotive would be able to lead the train both coming into and leaving the scene, but to be honest, in some ways it's almost an aggravation and by reversing the direction of the team track I could eliminate the siding all together. In fact, if there is no work to be done on the team track, I will simply shove the inbound cars to the container plant.

I don't recall at the moment where I saw you say something about possibly using some sort of switch list generating program, but I can recommend JMRI/Operations. I've been using it for operations on my layout and find that it works very well - even allowing for off-spots. There is a great tutorial you can find here: https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/27829  that explains some of the oddities about the program and how it can work great on a switching layout.

Any way, keep up the great work!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, LNRR said:

Another nice and realistic switching layout plan! Certainly don't need a runaround siding and you have a nice selection of industries. Looking forward to seeing this progress. My current switching layout has basically one large industry (a cardboard container plant) and a smaller team track. I included a runaround siding on the plan, strictly so the locomotive would be able to lead the train both coming into and leaving the scene, but to be honest, in some ways it's almost an aggravation and by reversing the direction of the team track I could eliminate the siding all together. In fact, if there is no work to be done on the team track, I will simply shove the inbound cars to the container plant.

I don't recall at the moment where I saw you say something about possibly using some sort of switch list generating program, but I can recommend JMRI/Operations. I've been using it for operations on my layout and find that it works very well - even allowing for off-spots. There is a great tutorial you can find here: https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/27829  that explains some of the oddities about the program and how it can work great on a switching layout.

Any way, keep up the great work!

Thanks, and good to hear from you again. 

Yes, I did mention on FB that I wanted to look at having more structured ops on this layout. I'll take a look at JMRI/Operations. Thanks for tutorial link.

If you want a fairly simple switchlist generator, you might like to try mine: http://mattersofinterest.co.uk/swsetup.exe

Instructions are available via the Help menu but if you want to read them before downloading the program they can also be downloaded from http://mattersofinterest.co.uk/switcher.pdf

The program generates a series of switching 'trips' based on the allocation of cars to loads and loads to industries.

There are a variety of options including randomly generated off-spots.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, rodshaw said:

If you want a fairly simple switchlist generator, you might like to try mine: http://mattersofinterest.co.uk/swsetup.exe

Instructions are available via the Help menu but if you want to read them before downloading the program they can also be downloaded from http://mattersofinterest.co.uk/switcher.pdf

The program generates a series of switching 'trips' based on the allocation of cars to loads and loads to industries.

There are a variety of options including randomly generated off-spots.

Just trying this, downloaded and install and I keep getting "Invalid filename. Press OK to ignore and risk data corruption. Press cancel to kill the program"

If I press OK, program seems to start but I get a continuous hour glass. When I pick Data set 3 i get the same message. Clicking OK this time, just puts me back to the same program screen I get when the program starts, i.e. no data. I'm on Windows 10

Lee

Edited by z4driver
Added OS

2 hours ago, z4driver said:

Just trying this, downloaded and install and I keep getting "Invalid filename. Press OK to ignore and risk data corruption. Press cancel to kill the program"

If I press OK, program seems to start but I get a continuous hour glass. When I pick Data set 3 i get the same message. Clicking OK this time, just puts me back to the same program screen I get when the program starts, i.e. no data. I'm on Windows 10

Lee

Rather than clog up this topic I'll send you a pm.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Made final adjustments to the track which has now glued in place with PVA.

NS GP38-2 #5664 has shoved a cut of cars into the interchange track. Lurking in the background is R&N MP15dc #1540 which will switch the cars into the industries.

r&n 9.920 001.JPG

r&n 9.920 002.JPG

• Like 7

Wiring the layout has now been completed. 

Locos are running nice and smoothly at slow speeds, perfect for switching, so it's time to try out some switching moves.

NS has left a cut of corn syrup cars on the interchange track. The R&N switcher will spot them at the food processor and transload spur.

r&n 11.9.20 003.JPG

• Like 8

• Alcanman changed the title to Reading and Northern Industrial Spur Mk 2

Layout Update.

Somehow switching this layout turned out to be not as satisfying as I'd hoped. Not sure why, but I think it had to do with the positioning of the staging track. I'm used to trains arriving from staging, switching cars, then returning to staging.

I've decided to start over and this time I've taken inspiration from Alex Bogaski's superb 'East Penn' layout. I've increased the length from 7ft 6ins to my usual 9ft and added a small Transloading area on the sorting track.

Once again, there will be a Norfolk Southern / Reading & Northern interchange track.

R&N Industrial Spur 3.jpg

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Work has now commenced on the R&N Industrial Spur (Mk2).

Track cut and lightly pinned in place until any final adjustments are made. I've also placed some structures and will also finalize their positioning later.

Next, I'll proceed with wiring the layout.

r&n 10.11.20 004.JPG

r&n 10.11.20 003.JPG

• Like 11

Wiring completed and tested.

NS GP38-2  #5664 has arrived on the interchange track with the first cut of cars which will be switched by Reading & Northern.

All 5 car spots are currently occupied. Time for some switching action!

r&n 13.11.20 001.JPG

• Like 9

I've now finalized the positioning of the main structures. The warehouse has been 'bedded in' and received some roof details.

The corn syrup tanks and silos still require more detailing and weathering.

The spaces between the tracks will probably be overgrown with weeds etc.

r&n 21.11.20 003.JPG

• Like 9

The silos and corn syrup tanks have been lightly weathered and fixed in place.

I haven't had much time to do a lot of switching as I'm busy working on the layout, but I am finding there are more operational options than I thought.  Next to the trans-load area, there is an 'off-spot' where a car waiting to be loaded at the main industry can be left until required. Switching takes between 20 and 30 minutes per session.

r&n 25.11.20 005.JPG

• Like 8

I don't know if you are already aware of this but the R&N publish their corporate newsletters online as pdf files . There's usually a few interesting pictures or snippets about the business which can give lots of ideas for traffic.

https://www.rbmnrr.com/happenings/2020/11/2/reading-amp-northern-establishes-new-rail-truck-transload-facility

https://www.rbmnrr.com/news

Scroll to the bottom of that page and the R&N newsletters are available to download.

I have been doing lots of research on the R&N with an idea to model part of the Humboldt Industrial park in West Hazleton. I keep dropping hints to Scaletrains and Athearn about some RBMN power, nothing as yet sadly.

The R&N flickr group also may be of interest:  

Reading & Northern RR

17 hours ago, Supaned said:

I don't know if you are already aware of this but the R&N publish their corporate newsletters online as pdf files . There's usually a few interesting pictures or snippets about the business which can give lots of ideas for traffic.

https://www.rbmnrr.com/happenings/2020/11/2/reading-amp-northern-establishes-new-rail-truck-transload-facility

https://www.rbmnrr.com/news

Scroll to the bottom of that page and the R&N newsletters are available to download.

I have been doing lots of research on the R&N with an idea to model part of the Humboldt Industrial park in West Hazleton. I keep dropping hints to Scaletrains and Athearn about some RBMN power, nothing as yet sadly.

The R&N flickr group also may be of interest:  

Reading & Northern RR

Thanks for the info. I'll have a look.

I looked at the Humboldt Industrial Park when I was researching the R&N. It would make an interesting layout.

I'm still trying to decide on a prototype location although the layout is purely fictitious. It will be sort of proto- freelance.

Atlas have announced a R&N GP38-2 which is scheduled for release next year.

Here is a pic showing the background structures completed so far and an NS geep shoving a short cut of cars into the interchange track.

r&n 1.12.20 005.JPG

• Like 6

On 20/11/2020 at 12:24, Alcanman said:

I've added a low relief line of tall bushes at the left hand end of the layout. They are made from seamoss covered with Noch/Gaugemaster leaves.

r&n 20.11.20 004.JPG

Great work so far. I really like the use of bushes to hide the end of the boards. I've been pondering what to do, and I may pinch this, for the sake of losing a few centimetres of track to put it in place. 

Cheers 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1