Reading and Northern Industrial Spur Mk 2

Alcanman

18 hours ago, GEOEng03 said:

Great work so far. I really like the use of bushes to hide the end of the boards. I've been pondering what to do, and I may pinch this, for the sake of losing a few centimetres of track to put it in place. 

Cheers 

Thanks. I've used bushes and trees to hide the end of the layout on previous layouts. The seamoss can be 'squeezed' resulting in low relief bushes which are only about 1 inch thick so don't take up precious space on a small layout.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 24/12/2020 at 13:44, Alcanman said:

Merry Xmas.

Nice to see that not everyone has 'gone' and there still a few who still follow the  'USA and Canadian Railroads' forum.

I'm enjoying my little switching layout more than ever.

r&n 22new.jpg

....and good and enjoyable modelling like this is encouraging ‘newbies’ to the Forum (like me) to get more involved, too.  Everybody wins :D

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 24/12/2020 at 15:44, Alcanman said:

r&n 22new.jpg

Merry Christmas!

I am really enjoying seeing both the layout and this gorgeous switcher, so much so that I have started researching the Reading RR. The trouble is, that livery only appeared in the early seventies and the road had gone into Conrail by 1976. At least, I like the earlier liveries and I love Alcos, Baldwins and F-M’s so I might be tempted down that road instead. The original rather plain green was very nice anyway.

Cheers and thanks for the inspiration!

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Merry Christmas!

I am really enjoying seeing both the layout and this gorgeous switcher, so much so that I have started researching the Reading RR. The trouble is, that livery only appeared in the early seventies and the road had gone into Conrail by 1976. At least, I like the earlier liveries and I love Alcos, Baldwins and F-M’s so I might be tempted down that road instead. The original rather plain green was very nice anyway.

Cheers and thanks for the inspiration!

John

Wrong Reading, it's Reading and Northern RR

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Allegheny1600 said:

D’oh!

So, this livery continues in service today? Intriguing!

Yes, and the Reading and Northern currently rosters several old end cab switchers including my Atlas MP15dc #1540. When I resarched the R&N, I discovered that the railroad interchanges with Norfolk Southern at a few locations in Pennsylvania. This gives me an excuse to run my NS GP38-2. 

R&N #1540.jpg

• Like 7

More progress as I work from left to right on the layout.

A yard office and parking lot have been added and in the the background, shipping containers and another non rail served low relief warehouse.

R&N 4.1.20 004.JPG

• Like 10

I've  added more static grass and grass tufts. A lot of the tufts are home made. The advantage of making them yourself is that they can be any size you like whereas commercial products tend  to be small and often all the same size.

The layout is now finished, just a few details to add.

I'm enjoying switching this layout more than than any other since my old 'Palmetto Spur' which was 10 years ago.

Operation is different, as trains must first arrive at the interchange track before switching commences. The main industry spur has multiple spots for a covered hopper, corn syrup tanks and boxcars.  There is 1 spot at the Transload area and 1 'off-spot' on the same spur. 

These 2 photos show most of the completed layout and show a NS geep shoving in 4 cars. The blue RBL boxcar next to the loco is destined for the Transload. The yellow Cargill covered hopper is 'off-spot' and will be re-spotted later at the silos by Reading & Northern.

r&n 5.1.20 002.JPG

r&n 5.1.20 005.JPG

• Like 11

On 07/01/2021 at 09:16, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Operationally, I like the idea of using the middle track as the interchange - it gives a clear purpose to it, which can be a challenge on narrow layouts.  The generous length spurs look great, and I’d guess are enjoyable to switch too.

Yes, the layout is enjoyable to operate. I'm currently trying out a sequence of switching moves and rotating cars on and off the layout.

It's surprising how many permutations of switching moves are possible despite there being only 2 switches.

Here is R&N #1540 switching a corn syrup car.

r&n 8.1.20 002.JPG

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Supaned said:

Do you use a program such as JMRI for switching  ?

I've used it for Freemo meets and have set it up for the home layout I'm intending to build , which is useful as you can operate the layout virtually to see how it all works.

No. I'm happy just to simply rotate cars. Just finished an operating session which lasted around 30 mins.