Amanda's 7mm Stuff - A 1366T takes shape - and runs!

Guest WM183

Karau's books are very good.  I built the Tetbury engine shed from scratch in 4mm and another club member made the Fairford goods shed from the drawings in the book.  He wanted to do the Tetbury goods shed but it was too large.

John

I agree, it is a shame to conceal all that work.

So far, the only loads I have done are coal.

283782795_P1010002(2).JPG.89218014b39281983631b34a22bd4ad6.JPG

Card base and foam reinforced by card.  The ideal is to push on one end and the load tilts up for removal.  Real coal of course.

Others have suggested magnet(s) embedded in the load.

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brossard said:

Card base and foam reinforced by card.  The ideal is to push on one end and the load tilts up for removal.  Real coal of course.

John

The card sits on a small block of timber. A loop of black florists wire is all but invisible in the coal and is easily hooked out with the shunting pole. Layers of card can be used to shape the load, don't forget to spray it black before glueing.

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, WM183 said:

Does anyone have any idea how to make loads for my open wagons? One with timber, perhaps, and one with some crates and barrels perhaps?

The 3 planks were often used for containers in BR days.

I've seen photos somewhere of timber loads with detail of the rope work used secure it. People have used coffee stirrers.

https://www.igg.org.uk/rail/9-loads/9-timber.htm

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, brossard said:

John

I use the American empties in loads/out system. Two rakes of 16 ton minerals, one going one way ,and the full one going the other.  It saves a lot of faffing around in the fiddle yard.

1 hour ago, WM183 said:

I do like vans. I plan to do a pair of BR standard vans next, I think!

Someone said at one time (or perhaps another) that the BR Std van was anything but.

Have a browse of Paul Bartlett's pics of these.  Lots of variations.  Some had 4 shoe brakes and others 8 shoe.  Different couplings and buffers too.

John

Edited by brossard

11 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

I'm still toying with making my china clay rakes share a common underframe with two bodies, covered and open. Its the wheels, buffers, couplings etc which soon rack up cost if you are duplicating.

You would need your wagons to disappear into some kind of processing facility for the duplicate wagon thing to work. 

In my case, I have coal staithes, so the hand of God is unavoidable.  I deliberately kept my mineral wagon fleet to a minimum having only 3 PO wagons and 4 steels.  If you set your era to the early 50s, you could plausibly have more PO wagons but they would still be pretty heavily distressed.  Todays Hatton's offering of Lionheart wagons is very tempting.

John

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, brossard said:

You would need your wagons to disappear into some kind of processing facility for the duplicate wagon thing to work. 

I designed my 'shunting plank' so that the loaded wagons arrive down the main and then are shunted into a set of sidings. These are then taken up a branch back to the fiddle yard.  The empties follow the reverse route.

The loads and empties share a pair of sidings on the traverser and shuttle between these and the scenic section.

Nobody has  yet noticed (or commented) that the empties have top flaps and the fulls do not.  I suppose one day I'll get around to splitting them so there's a 50/50 split in the rake.  The same will happen with the Taff Vale Models PO wagon kits I have in a box.  Two can join the loaded rake and the other two the empties.

Having off scene facilities certainly  increases your traffic handling capabilities, especially in an urban environment.  Rather than just have, for instance, a china clay works up the branch, it is also possible to have a creamery, quarry, coal yard or tar distillery.  You choose!

Amanda's mentioning of the BR standard vans prompts me to say that Rails also have good offers on their vans at the moment.  Probably cheaper than buying a kit.  I've just bought two to supplement my van fleet as I'm rather mineral wagon and brake van heavy at present.

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

I designed my 'shunting plank' so that the loaded wagons arrive down the main and then are shunted into a set of sidings. These are then taken up a branch back to the fiddle yard.  The empties follow the reverse route.

The loads and empties share a pair of sidings on the traverser and shuttle between these and the scenic section.

Nobody has  yet noticed (or commented) that the empties have top flaps and the fulls do not.  I suppose one day I'll get around to splitting them so there's a 50/50 split in the rake.  The same will happen with the Taff Vale Models PO wagon kits I have in a box.  Two can join the loaded rake and the other two the empties.

Having off scene facilities certainly  increases your traffic handling capabilities, especially in an urban environment.  Rather than just have, for instance, a china clay works up the branch, it is also possible to have a creamery, quarry, coal yard or tar distillery.  You choose!

Amanda's mentioning of the BR standard vans prompts me to say that Rails also have good offers on their vans at the moment.  Probably cheaper than buying a kit.  I've just bought two to supplement my van fleet as I'm rather mineral wagon and brake van heavy at present.

Interesting idea to have a "virtual" colliery or whatever, using the sector plate in my case.  I must think on that.

I have acquired some era appropriate RTR Dapol/Lionheart wagons.  I always find things to replace and add.  Still, it all adds to the variety.

John

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, brossard said:

Ha, yes.  I was going to recommend the Slater's kit.  My spares box has saved me on more than one occasion.

John

Aside from the satisfaction of building them, I think the Slaters one builds into a slightly better looking model personally, though not sure quite why: I think the roof is slightly finer which helps.

On the other hand those cast Dapol chassis do run very well and I suspect the new 10 foot GWR underframe on the conflat will lead to some further new releases which may well duplicate the Parkside range. I'm buying the kits I want while they are still around!

• Agree 1