Amanda's 7mm Stuff - A 1366T takes shape - and runs!

Guest WM183

Hmmm, the ends look tricky.  I think you can do the corners with thin plastic card overlapping.  Once hard the corners can be sanded.  Corrugated ends can be done using Evergreen 0.060" half round.  Rivet heads using Archer transfers.

Have fun.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, WM183 said:

I need to decide how to do the rivets; moving 1 rivet transfer around at a time sounds, uh. You know. Horrible.

Tell me about it. On my "Cooper Craft" china clay conversion I shaved all the extras off a donor then glued them back on. As a result my rake of 8 stalled after the first wagon!

Mind you I bought a scratch built 3 plank off Dock Green and Chaz had drilled every bolt and used plastic rod.

Edited by Hal Nail

1 hour ago, WM183 said:

As an aside, I think I am going to throw my weight all in behind 7mm. There is a huge difference in eye strain for me between working on 4mm models and working on 7mm, and though I am only in my early 40s, my eyes aren't going to get better. Now to decide how to sell all that 4mm stuff!

Ah ha!  So you have seen the, ahem. light.

As for rivets I assume you are using Archer.  A tedious task if you have to do them one at a time.  Until they are fixed by varnish or paint they have a tendency to come adrift.  Rice would cut small pieces of 0.020x0.020 plastic strip and use a solvent to apply them.  This is probably no easier than the transfers, but it is an alternative.

John

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, WM183 said:

I do wonder if the door hardware and rollers at the top of the doors looks too large though? Even my LMS diagrams books has no dimensions for those parts so I "eyeballed" them, and they look ok, but... are they too large?

Might be easier to judge after a waft of primer? Different colours often makes things stand out.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, WM183 said:

Wow! It's been a minute!

I'm still here, just life has not been as conducive to model making as I might like. However, I have primed the Midland van and the GWR bogie bolster, and progress continues on the LMS van. The LMS van should be built this week, but getting buffers, etc., may take some time, as Brexit is still complicating purchases somewhat. Hopefully we can work past that soon!

Amanda

Tell me about it. We used to order our cat litter in bulk form France but they wont supply to the UK now as they cant be  bothered to fill in the customs paperwork. Paperwork no doubt that nobody will ever look at or refer to again.  We may have free trade with the EU but not form free trade.

Paul R

Hi Amanda,perhaps when things get back to something approaching normality(whatever that may be) you could come over when there is a major show,armed with a list and get stuff back that way?

atb

Phil

6 hours ago, WM183 said:

Hi Phil,

I'd like that a idea a lot. I will do my best! I'd love to visit some of the heritage railways too!

Amanda

If you do,Amanda,try and visit us at the Chasewater Railway,in Stafford shire,an ex - colliery line.Might give you some ideas too.

atb

Phil