Amanda's 7mm Stuff - A 1366T takes shape - and runs!

Guest WM183

So sorry to hear you are having to shelve the 7 mill project. Hopefully in time the import/export mess will get sorted.

I have really enjoyed watching your projects unfold.

Good luck with the German HO.

All the best

David

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, WM183 said:

Aaaand now Slater's have a minimum EU order of 140 pounds. That's great when I just want a set of wheels.

On the shelf it goes. Thanks for all the help and feedback.

It does seem crazy when ordering from anywhere else in the world that incurs import duty is just a matter of pay and then pay the charges upon receipt of goods, one wonders if there is not an element of “serves you right” involved.

So sorry you have decided….or been virtually forced to abandon your plans in 7mm, it’s just us playing trains after all.

Also not wanting to get too political, I don't think it's UK based businesses not wanting

your business, more an over reaction to the (French based/led) campaign of wanting

to 'teach us a lesson', for daring to leave their group (where they have the most sway)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

Also not wanting to get too political, I don't think it's UK based businesses not wanting

your business, more an over reaction to the (French based/led) campaign of wanting

to 'teach us a lesson', for daring to leave their group (where they have the most sway)

I think I agree.  Tower Models have a similar minimum buy policy.  Having to collect foreign taxes at source puts a real burden on small businesses.  It seems to me that the authorities in the receiving country should be assessing taxes etc.  Maybe it's because the postal authorities are lax when collecting puny amounts of tax on low value parcels.  Canada Post is certainly that way - 99% of parcels I receive from UK are not assessed for GST.  They perk up when I receive a big parcel though.

Reminds me a bit of the old joke where the Government wanted to impose a tax on all foreigners living abroad.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, WM183 said:

Hi David,

Not to get political, but frankly, I am sure there is. As i have said elsewhere, if UK based businesses do not want my business, I guess I'll stop trying to give it to them.

BTW Amanda, you can see the video I mentioned in the Facebook link.

John

2 hours ago, WM183 said:

They don't handle tax. All VAT and customs fees are handled in the destination country. Also, low value parcels are no longer exempt from customs duties now. If i buy a 1 euro part from the UK, i get hit with a 13 euro customs fee. It's ridiculous.

Write to your MP and complain.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Having just joined at the end of this thread, and perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but is there any import tax on private items sent from person to person ?

Could someone in the UK purchase your items, then send them privately?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Marshall5 said:

That could be difficult as she lives in the Netherlands.

Ray.

MP or equivalent over there I suppose....I'm not really up to speed on Dutch politics.

7 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Having just joined at the end of this thread, and perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but is there any import tax on private items sent from person to person ?

Could someone in the UK purchase your items, then send them privately?

Something I had also thought about Stu, it would be interesting to know.

• Agree 1

I used to work for the Post Office and from a UK point of view all you have to do is stick a Customs Declaration on the package describing what is inside it and state specifically that the item is a gift. Obviously things have now changed in the EU but on the UK Government website they say that gifts can be sent between individuals but not from companies. Of course it might be that the Dutch authorities have rules for incoming goods but it seems to me that you should be able to get a "friend" to purchase the item for you and "gift" it to you.

It works both ways, I wanted to buy some decals from a Polish manufacturer but they now have a huge minimum purchase rule. I want to rant about the stupidity of this but, this is not the place.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...