Amanda's 7mm Stuff - A 1366T takes shape - and runs!

Guest WM183

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 07/09/2021 at 13:31, pwr said:

I saw an advert that Lionheart were doing the BR Standard 3MT after the 45XX - However I reckon that will still be several years away and the price quoted even then was expensive. Dapol may of course bring that down.

I may have built my kit before then!

Paul R

At risk of combining the sort of speculation and pessimism which has seen members taken outside and shot before now, I suspect the advanced state of Lionheart/Dapols new narrow gauge stuff, (and at a lot more than £200 incidentally), might mean the 3MT is off the cards.

There are limits to how much they can do and given their success, reruns of the mk1s (possibly in new guises) will also keep them quiet for some time you'd think.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

At risk of combining the sort of speculation and pessimism which has seen members taken outside and shot before now, I suspect the advanced state of Lionheart/Dapols new narrow gauge stuff, (and at a lot more than £200 incidentally), might mean the 3MT is off the cards.

There are limits to how much they can do and given their success, reruns of the mk1s (possibly in new guises) will also keep them quiet for some time you'd think.

Lionheart don't strike me as having vast development resources so the narrow gauge announcement immediately got me thinking "where's the 3MT then?".  It could mean that the 3MT has advanced such that other products can use those resources.  I wish LH would be more forthcoming on model progress.

Depending on how long you are prepared to wait, you might be better off making a kit of your dream loco.

John

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, brossard said:

I wish LH would be more forthcoming on model progress.

The problem is they/Dapol have been very good recently. The B4, 121, mks1s, flying banana, bolster E, hoppers, L&B narrow gauge and class 66 have all been shown off at tooling stage already. I suspect therefore the ones that haven't been seen aren't going anywhere!

1 hour ago, brossard said:

Lionheart don't strike me as having vast development resources so the narrow gauge announcement immediately got me thinking "where's the 3MT then?".  It could mean that the 3MT has advanced such that other products can use those resources.  I wish LH would be more forthcoming on model progress.

Depending on how long you are prepared to wait, you might be better off making a kit of your dream loco.

John

I've got the kit!!!!!.

The price I saw when it was first mooted was £999 although I suspect under Dapol ownership it would be cheaper. I think the intention was for a die cast body whereas Dapol mighht substitute plastic.  Either way its a moot point - I think I may even get my kit built before we see the rtr!

Paul R

2 hours ago, pwr said:

I've got the kit!!!!!.

The price I saw when it was first mooted was £999 although I suspect under Dapol ownership it would be cheaper. I think the intention was for a die cast body whereas Dapol mighht substitute plastic.  Either way its a moot point - I think I may even get my kit built before we see the rtr!

Paul R

My recollection was that the 82xxx, when first announced, was going to be etched brass as was the 43xx and original 45xx hence the high price.  Richard later decided to do the 45xx in die-cast to put it in a more affordable price range and I suspect that the 82xxx (if it is eventually released) would be similar. Congratulations on getting the kit and I look forward to following its construction as I think that these locos are the most attractive of the standard designs.

Cheers,

Ray.

Edited by Marshall5
Finger fumble!
  • Agree 1

I would love to have a 3MT but at 999.00, it may be above my pay grade.  It is in the price range for the Finescale Brass/San Cheng locos which are very good and I have two (J50 and J39).  Time will tell but I'm not in a hurry since I have sufficient motive power for now.

John

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, WM183 said:

Having a play with the idea of a Micro-Layout. Pictured; a very cramped BLT on a 122 x 50 cm board... too tight? Or workable? My lizard brain looks at one board and goes "Yeah, I can scenic and decorate that." Plus a fiddle yard ofc.

XBXFt2G.jpg

I like the idea of a very small layout.  I have been working on the development of Scalescenes kit:

https://scalescenes.com/product/ly02-canal-wharf-boxfile-layout/

This is blown up to 7mm and I plan to lengthen it to about 1m 60cm (5' in old money).

You can see what I've been doing here:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/158325-building-scalescenes-canal-wharf-layout-in-0-gauge-track-planning/page/3/

The goal of my small layout is for it to fit in the car so I can take it to shows without having to bother with rented vans.

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Picking up on the comments about the 3MT a few months ago, there is a Lionheart advert in the latest Guild Gazette showing a CAD which is described as 'generally favourable' and is being 'reviewed' before they commit to tooling.  Prices quoted are basic £575, with DCC £605 and with Sound £685.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I can't think of anyone who does a turned brass chimney for a 1366.  CSP took over the old ABS/Zero Zephyrs kit but it looks as if the chimney is whitemetal also.  The safety valve bonnet was a standard size so a 14xx one from Springside or Warren Shepherd should do.  Best of luck with your build.

Ray.