Amanda's 7mm Stuff - A 1366T takes shape - and runs!

Guest WM183

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, WM183 said:

I will have to weather 7414 next, and it's 1) shinier and 2) green, so I need to do some testing before I do. I want to add sound to it first anyways!

Dirty green is hard to do well I think. Even some of the top pro's ones look less convincing to me than their black or slightly cleaner green examples. I usually end up going for that oily rag look by lightly polishing the paint - rather like the effect you get by accident when you remove a printed logo!

Edited by Hal Nail

On 29/12/2020 at 12:41, WM183 said:

Sadly until mail begins moving between the UK and Europe again, I am somewhat at a standstill regarding layout construction, or even building new stock. I have had some orders floating in limbo since August, my order from Connoisseur was lost at first (God bless Jim, he sent a second one) and now a Comet order is MIA, in addition to at least one purchase from a member here. None of these people or firms are to blame - this is clearly the mail screwing up - but it, along with Brexit, has somewhat hamstrung layout construction, likely for a few weeks. But, if I get out of 2020 with nothing worse than a few lost packages, I am very lucky indeed. Besides... track plan idea no 2.

Why surrender 1/4 of my space for a fiddle yard that I did not wish to use? The typical GWR type branch terminus - little more than a platform and a fan of sidings - existed for a reason. I had the following thought, drawn (roughly!) in Anyrail. The turnouts are properly sized to the baseboard as Peco BH 124 turnouts, all else is an approximation, but a reasonable one. If I scenic the first track in my fiddle yard, I can have a few additional tracks behind it. I can use a few buildings and trees as a "Scene blocker" of sorts, and gain a valuable 3 feet for goods operations, and orient the goods shed in a more traditional way, in addition to even being able to get a bay platform in, which can be switched without running through the goods shed! 

9xBNuHh.jpg

Feedback appreciated! Also, seems like signalling for this will be fun too!

Amanda

That makes sense Amanda and it's more or less how I operate my French BLT at home with just a minimal "fiddle stick" yard, a single track the length of a train. I can operate it as a pure shunting layout on the five foot station board alone with a tank loco but I prefer to use a couple of longer locos and that means shunting a short way into the fiddle yard or adding a very short closure piece. For some reason that's perhaps a bit theatrical I do prefer the train to come from off-stage and return there even though I know it's not really going anywhere. When it goes out I use a larger fiddle yard with a set of points and room for two trains (which doubles up as half of a test track)   

I do like the idea of scenicing the fiddle yard. 

Funny, I was thinking that.  They would likely be around for the early 50s and possibly still in faded LMS livery.  They might have obtained black patches and BR lettering.  As things went on, BR ruthlessly culled 9' wb wagons in favour of 10' and vacuum brakes.

John

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Can you tell me please has the Slaters van got more than 4 W irons and several types of springs etc? My one had loads of spares - in fact I barely used one sprue. I bought a meat van recently expecting the same given its fundamentally the same kit and it came with just 4 on a separate sprue so i wonder if they have either updated it, or I got lucky the first time and had a freebie by accident.

Ta!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, WM183 said:

Hi hi Hal,

My van indeed came with at least two sets of W irons, multiple sets of springs and brakes, and plenty of spare axleboxes, etc. In fact, as I will be buying sprung axleboxes, I now have spare W irons sufficient for two more wagons, plus extra brakes, a set of shock absorbing solebars, and more from the single kit. I love the extra parts; the brake parts and J hanger springs in particular are a godsend for me, as I am scratchbuilding two LMS vans which have them.

So in my case... yes, it came with a ton of spare bits!

Amanda

That's what I remembered. Odd that the meat van which is just a variant of the same wagon, doesnt have all those extras.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, WM183 said:

In addition we have bought a Ian Kirk D98 brake third kit from the auction site. Its good timing! When I order the wheels for it from Slaters' I can also order the sprung w irons for the BR van.

Just remember that Kirk "kits" are very basic indeed.  Knowing how you like to scratchbuild these are a great starting point for a high fidelity coach model.  It comes down to how many parts you want to buy in (like bogies) and how much effort you wish to put in.

It's going down to -13C here tonight :angry:

John

I agree about the temp.  For this time of year here, the temperature has been remarkably mild.  Usually -20 C and less sometimes is normal for January.  Vive le global warming!

Your work so far has been stunning, I have no doubt that your coach will be a jaw dropper.

The van pictured is lovely.  I was just starting to add super detail to 4mm wagons before I went to 7mm.  I would like to see more people do that.

John

Edited by brossard