Virtual Scaleforum - it's Online

Torper

• 2 weeks later...

With just two weeks to go, preparations are nearing completion and the list below has been updated with the latest information on the show content, participants, and features.

There is a special Scaleforum website, although at the moment only the main page is live: http://www.scaleforum.org

All the content will be accessible from there but it will also be linked to from the Society's main website, the forum, our Facebook page and Twitter feed.

There are now nearly four and three quarter hours of video content of layouts that will be released for viewing on the day, but don't worry about getting square eyes as it will all continue to be available after the show.

Although in a few instances we are linking to content that already exists, the vast majority of video, slideshow and other content is brand new and has been written, filmed, edited and made available exclusively for Scaleforum 2020 and we'd like to thank all of our contributors for their work in filming their layouts and producing their videos, demonstrations and talks, under what for many have been very difficult circumstances. Without their efforts there would be no virtual exhibition.

Layouts

Boston Frodsham by Mike Knowles

Bristol Barrow Road by Robin Whittle

Central Cheshire Lines by John Sherratt

De Graafstroom (P87) by Vincent de Bode

Drighlington and Adwalton by Steve Hall

Eridge by the Kent Area Group

Faringdon by Rex Davidson and Stephen Williams

North Elmham by the North Norfolk Area Group

Obbekaer (P87) by Geraint Hughes

Pwllheli by Jonathan Buckie

Sheep Pasture by Robin Whittle

Southwark Bridge by Mike Day

United Mills by Ray Nolton

Demonstrations

Adrian Musgrave – Signals

Alistair Ford – Black Gill timber buildings

Brian Hingston – Coaches

Chris McCarthy – Baseboards

Dave Keeler – Wagon construction

David Brandreth – Resistance Soldering

Jim Smith-Wright – Soldering White Metal

John Farmer – Scenics

Mick Moignard – DCC Sound

Nick Rogers – Wagons

Paul Willis – GW Models Rivet Press

Rod Cameron – Lewes Project

Stuart Holt – Tree making

Illustrated Talks

Martin Nield – Authentic Model Railway Operation

Jim Summers – ‘Earning a Living’

Members’ Showcase

A selection of pictures of models sent in by our members

Scalefour Stores

Stores Officer Jeremy Suter is aiming to be available throughout most of the day and we are expecting that you will be able to chat with him directly via a live YouTube broadcast

Virtual Society Stand

The Virtual Society Stand will be manned all day and you will be able to chat with us via the Society Forum. A timetable of who will be available and when will be provided soon.

Traders

There will be links to all of our usual Trade supporters and we’re expecting that some of them will be providing content especially for Scaleforum

Any questions or queries regarding the virtual event can be sent to virtual@scalefour.org or posted on our dedicated forum page or if you're not a member in our guestbook and we will do our best to answer them.

Danny Cockling

Show Organizer

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well, I know what I'm going to be doing almost all tomorrow - this virtual show promises to be terrific!  All details  and timings are now on the S4 Society's website on page 3 of this thread: - https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=7064&start=50#p78726

Twelve layouts, with operators available on the forum to answer questions and chat at the times specified.

Twelve  demonstrations, again with the demonstrators available to answer questions and chat at speciifed times.

Two illustrated talks.

Stores open on its YouTube channel for most of the day.

Society stand manned all day

Do remember - it's free "entry" and you don't have to be a Scalefour Society member to attend (though if you do decide to join there is a special offer available!).  In the avbsence of "real" shows this is surely the next best thing so do drop in.

DT

• Like 3

• Torper changed the title to Virtual Scaleforum - It's TODAY!
  • RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, sumo said:

I can't post on the Scalefour forum, but I would just like to say.... fantastic, in the hope someone sees it! 

Thanks for all involved. 

Well worth a visit. 

Mike

You can post in the guest area of the Scalefour Society forum  https://www.scalefour.org/forum/ 

The virtual Scaleforum is highly recommended - it is full of great content!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some lovely stuff there, including a couple of layouts I have had the opportunity to visit and to operate.

The Central Cheshire Lines has always intrigued me as a layout concept and it is great to be able to see it under its new custodian.

• Like 2

Just wanted to say that this was a very good idea to do on-line. Some very inspiring layouts here.

Already looked at De Graafstroom (P87) by Vincent de Bode, some incredible engineering there, and great to see the excellent Obbekaer (P87) by Geraint Hughes again. The videos themselves were very well done imho and looking forward to working my way through the rest of the exhibition.  Very enjoyable.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• Torper changed the title to Virtual Scaleforum
  • RMweb Premium

For all who missed or would like to see more of the show, do remember that most of the layouts and demonstrations can still be accessed by following the links at https://www.scaleforum.org/

And as MPR pointed out above,  if any non-members would like to comment on the show or ask a question, you can alsways do so through the Guestbook section on the Scalefour Society forum.

DT

• Thanks 1

• Torper changed the title to Virtual Scaleforum - it's Online
4 hours ago, Bonafide said:

Or, more likely, the people who came forward to show their layouts.

I don't doubt it but the Society surely has a list or know of a good many P4/S4  layouts and some of them must be Modern Image. I would have thought that at least one would agree to take part.

If you are putting on a show, you don't just advertise for layout owners to come forward, you go out and seek what you need.

Never mind. It's done and dusted now.

Edited by dasatcopthorne

1 hour ago, dasatcopthorne said:

If you are putting on a show, you don't just advertise for layout owners to come forward, you go out and seek what you need.

Under normal circumstances, you could be right, but these were not.  It very much depended on who has the skills to make a video as well as the willingness to do it.  During the lockdown, one could not just ring a friend and ask them to come round with their kit.

Some of those layouts will not be on the exhibition circuit as they are either too large, built in to particular spaces or the owners not interested in going through all the work involved with exhibiting, so it was good to have the opportunity to see what one would otherwise not see . . . unless invited, of course.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

57 minutes ago, dasatcopthorne said:

I would have thought that at least one (Modern Image layout) would agree to take part.

There were two: Boston Frodsham (1975-1985), Pwllheli (circa 2012).  Also, both steam and diesel locomotives were to be seen on United Mills (late 1950s-early 1960s).

It's a pity you missed them!

• Agree 3

As the exhibitor of two of the layouts on the virtual scaleforum I am fortunate enough to have the space to have Bristol Barrow Road permanently erected at my home. I also had enough space to erect and film my other layout , Sheep Pasture, in the same building albeit using the camera on my mobile phone.

I am also a member of our local area group and am involved with the group layout Brinkley. This layout was invited to Scaleforum this year and was also asked if we were able to participate in the virtual version of the show. We had to decline as we would have needed to erect the layout in a local hall and have eight operators available both of which were impossible during lockdown and with social distancing. Brinkley has two operating sequences, one steam and one diesel.

I am sure owners of modern image P4 layouts would have been asked/invited to participate in the show but I would imagine they had the same difficulty with venue and operators as we did with Brinkley.

I know that Drithlington and Obbekaer were also filmed and presented by their owners without assistance from others.

Instead of complaining about the lack of modern image layouts you should be thankful that the Scalefour Society were able to put on a great show in such a short space of time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 15

• RMweb Gold
On 30/09/2020 at 14:26, dasatcopthorne said:

Read my original post again.

I've just done that and still don't understand what your point is, apart from complaining about the apparent lack of non-steam layouts. I think Robin (barrowroad) has hit the nail on the head with his last sentance.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I've looked at some of the layout presentations on YouTube and have been struck by just how good they are, considering the presenters are "amateurs" (at least, I assume they are—the quality is certainly professional). I've enjoyed them immensely, even though I probably wouldn’t have gone to Scaleforum if this had been a normal year.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I've just done that and still don't understand what your point is, apart from complaining about the apparent lack of non-steam layouts. I think Robin (barrowroad) has hit the nail on the head with his last sentance.

You are perfectly correct.

I was only complaining about the lack of non-steam layouts.

Well spotted.