Drivers mate sitting against the windscreen ?

rob D2

I can attest to the strength of the glass used in 66 cabs, some years ago I was coming down the single line from Bagworth Junction towards Knighton at line speed (45mph) and had a couple of scrotes throw some house bricks at my loco as I passed under the tall arched bridge on the outskirts of Leicester, one missed, two hit the screen in front of me and the fourth caught the frame of the sliding side window which I had just shut on approaching the bridge - sometimes the sixth sense kicks in. The two that hit the front screen bounced off but if I hadn't closed the side window I'd probably be typing this with one hand. The glass is provided by Belcewat who also made the windscreens for the Lancia Stratos rally cars in 1973 / 74, I'm not sure what the costs are today but at the time of the incident the front screens cost about £2k each and side pieces were £750 each.

I still shudder at the thought of the Wembley driver who was in a coma for over a week several years ago after another pair of scrotes chucked a huge chunk of brickwork and concrete off a bridge which, went right through his front screen and landed in his lap.

• Friendly/supportive 5

7 hours ago, Wheatley said:

More than likely "endangering the safety of persons being conveyed upon a railway" contrary to the Offences Against The Person Act 1861. Easier to prove than attempted murder as there is no requirement to prove intent, only that danger was caused. However, depending on the degree of any intent which can be proved, it can still carry a life sentence. 

It was the matter of intent that was the issue.

Even if you deliberately drop half a Cornish hedge onto a passing train, it doesn't mean you intended to injure someone. :O

Mind you back in the day kids at Holmes Crossing (near Rotherham) used to use fishing catapults to fire things  to attempt to put the windows through on Units crawling past.....

• RMweb Gold

I beg to differ on the being thrown from your seat aspect.

I was on a service approaching 90 suddenly there was a full on emergency brake, I was lifted from my compartment seat on to my feet, passengers in the corridor sailed past the window.

it was only after we stopped, did I note we’d collided with a truck, no derailment, but I didn't feel any impact 1 coach from the front, it was the braking afterwards.. it still took a good 1/3rd-1/2mike to come to a stand...

this picture was taken from the rear coach, the ambulances are the impact site...

it was only the suddenness of the stop did I realise there must have been a situation, the passengers around me were complaining of bad driving... a few minutes later everyone was wandering the four foot and bunch running down the track to the truck.

This was with an ET22 and several coaches, in Poland.
The loco didnt fare too badly, but it was fatal for the truck driver.

the driver, only an hour earlier had given us a cab ride Bialystok depot to the station in the same loco, it was only my dad not feeling good that we werent still in the cab with the driver as he’d offered... ET22-951 is to the right in this picture.., the driver is visible to the right of 951  preparing it on shed at Bialystok below.

Both driver and loco completed its journey.., though a few passengers were injured. Most bailed off the train and walked to the next station, as the delay was heading towards 4 hours. The next station being a country place, it was like that scene in the Great Escape, where this station had its busiest day ever, everyone seemed familar.

finally, those horrified about people on the track... the line wasn't closed, services kept passing, bidirectionally on the other line.

Edited by adb968008
  • Friendly/supportive 1