Using Maps as background in Templot

Paul Cram

I have been trying to use a 25" NLS map as a background to create a layout plan. I managed to get the map displayed as a background and saved the file. When I opened the file again the background had disappeared. Is it not posible to save htese maps?

Edited by Paul Cram

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Background shapes, picture shapes and maps are saved in a BGS3 file separately from your track templates. This allows you to try different track plans on the same background.

You can save and reload your BGS3 shapes files via the files menu:

save_shapes1.png.14f35cc923ea41f6b8e0e8adf513c99f.png

Or by opening the background shapes dialog:

save_shapes.png.82f7f303d6cc8d3704a3f91eacda4d4f.png

When you closed Templot, you should have been asked if you wanted to save your background shapes. If you did, you should be able to reload your map by clicking the reload menu items above.

cheers,

Martin.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've also been trying to use an NLS 25" map as a background, but am having problems - I copied the link from the NLS site into the box in the dialog (making sure to click the "Link to this view" button and check the zoome level as instructed), and it opened up the Templot internal browser as expected - but that showed the borders of the NLS site with the actual map area blank - anyone know what might be going wrong? I tried it on both Linux under Wine, and also on Win7, and got the same result for both.

Also tried downloading the individual map screenshots myself, stitching them together in an image editor and importing, but the auto-scaler didn't seem to like that (as I have no idea what DPI to enter and had to guess) and I'm not sure I've got the scale right...

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

Hi Nick,

Please post the NLS link you are using and I will have a look.

Martin.

Thanks Martin! 

https://maps.nls.uk/view/106010478#zoom=7&lat=7045&lon=11391&layers=BT

(tried a few slight variants on that, e.g. differnt zoom levels, but all pointing to the same area of the same sheet...)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick,

It seems the NLS have changed their website again, and now the Find By Place maps don't work in the Windows embedded browser. The Georeferenced maps are still ok, but in this case they have used an older sheet before the Lyme Regis branch was opened. So I have done it manually as best I can from the 1928 sheet. You didn't state your model scale, but I assumed 4mm/ft.

Download from:

https://85a.co.uk/odds/map_for_nick_4mm_scale.bgs3

(Right click and Save Link/target As... , otherwise your browser may display it as text.)

It should open in the Templot background shapes.

I will have a further look at what is going on and try to get it fixed. But the NLS change the working of their web site so often it is difficult to keep up.

cheers,

Martin.

• Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1