A SMALL SLICE OF SPIEZ IN HO SCALE

swisspeat

Thanks for your kind comments gentlemen.

Pictures show the wall i the early stages of construction. The second photo is one of the houses and its garden to the road running along the top of the wall.

I visited the location 2 weeks ago again before the restrictions came into place and took photos of the wall and the various types of fencing on top and have tried to mirror that also ensuring that the road is not flat.

I am now trying to figure out how to incorporate the Neisen mountain on the back scene.

I was at the station 3 hours and oddly there was only one freight. On my return I realised that one of the bores of the base tunnel in closed for work hence the lack of freight at Spiez. It felt very unusual.

Peter

Spiez_2.JPG

SPIEZ 3.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Pete,

Nice to see your creative spirit is still flourishing, look forward to seeing this project develop. Don't chicken out on the wire's you know you want to install them don't you, LOL.

( Swiss in Austria ) Craig.

It is finished. Does not look that different. Nice and tidy though.

there is some info about it in the BLS Gazette summer 2020 magazine which I understand is available online.

when I visited the station it was basically being used as a storage yard for carriages, EMUs and locos.

one of the new Stadler EMUs made an appearance on test.

peter

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more work has been done in the garage (hence poor light) to add some vegetation to the wall, add line numbers to the catenary etc.

I am increasing thinking of not adding the wires this time. Whilst the lattice masts and headspan look OK I do not think laser cut card structures are sufficiently robust to take wires. I might revert to metal ones that screw firmly into the baseboard at some stage.

Taking photos of a project is a great way to notice faults that need to be remedied.

Niesen mountain has appeared!

Peter

Spiez 6.JPG

Spiez 5.JPG

• Like 8

Thanks Craig!

I know you want me to erect catenary wires, and so do I if truth be told, but this time I might give them a miss. Trying to convince myself that the wires are invisible in real life is something I am grappling with! In N scale I may have an excuse but in HO....

Pete

IMG_5504.JPG

• Like 5

In HO scale they work out to under 0.1mm in diameter, the vast majority of layouts I've seen tend to put far thicker wires up giving the impression to the viewer that there is something really quite solid there when the reality is that at typical scale viewing distance you won't see them unless you have outstanding eyesight. The only reason to put them on a layout is to give the pickups on your engines something to brush against.

• Like 1