Kadee couplings.

JimFin

• RMweb Premium

Anybody got experiences with Kadee or similar couplings on HOm? Not planning a major swap over but a number of vehicles for shunting. Particularly interested in reliability of operation i.e. staying coupled when you want them to and uncoupling when you want them to. Words of wisdom appreciated and any suggestions of alternatives to look at.

There have been numerous threads on Kadees.  My experience is with On30 and O-16.5.  I had assumed that these worked perfectly for the RTR Bachmann layout I built, complete with under-track magnets.  I was mixing RTR with Peco kit-built O-16.5 stock.  My observations:-

- Coupling height is fairly critical.

- They do stay coupled but can uncouple if the track is not level or steel wheels or axles cause hesitation over under-track magnets.

- Don't put uncoupling magnets under curved track as both couplings tend to go the same way so do not uncouple.

- The delayed uncoupling works quite well, uncouple, then pull forward then push back.

- Successful coupling can require a 'firm' contact depending upon how free-running your stock is.

- Bachmann's own coupling, as supplied on it's RTR stock is very similar in performance but is plastic, the Kadee metal Whisker couplings are my choice.

- Some people cut off the steel trip pin and uncouple manually using a small screwdriver but it requires pushing the vehicles apart like with TLCs

Despite the deficiencies they are probably the best centre -buffing coupling.  I believe they are more awkward to use with twin buffered stock.

Edited by Jeff Smith

• RMweb Gold

I’ve used the Dapol Easi-shunt couplers on my HOm as they fit the NEM pockets. They work ok but aren’t as good as kadees as you can’t do the delayed uncoupling as they don’t have the side swing. 
14B04445-BB74-4133-A58B-AFAF86736A65.jpeg.d98e986ca4bbed9c1125fb695c4d3b84.jpeg

I can shunt and run round but they need assistance to uncouple more often while it’s very rare with kadees to have an issue. Coupling up is no problem with either. 
D0D5B47B-9779-453E-9DFD-D1F411E0C9D2.jpeg.d1eaf35b4bb4319fa868e6de51e61848.jpeg

In Nm I’m using N gauge kadees and have more reliability uncoupling. 
A1B124BB-0B9B-4BB6-BC1B-64EB4235447E.jpeg.1caac292e4cc18b80c481a5401721db8.jpeg

I’ve had no issues with uncoupling and I ran my Harz stock on my HOm Rhätia on 1in20 gradients without problem too as long as the couplings are mounted at a consistent height. 

There are adapters on Shapeways to save hacking the bogies too. 
https://www.shapeways.com/product/QW4JJZYNN/bemo-kadee-adapter-for-truck-mounted-couplers-32?optionId=40908685&li=marketplace

• RMweb Gold

Oh and I avoid fixed magnets as a slight judder as they pass over can uncouple the train. I discovered that with the first station on the Harz and I now mount mine on hinged flaps beneath the board and pull them up into place when needed with a pull cord. 
5D6BD9CD-8EB4-4FCF-B7F5-66A6CDC568D3.jpeg.e9c4dc34a2aa214d1b1ede25e3b9fe3c.jpeg

I’ve even retro fitted the drop ones to my OO layout using my Easi-Cut saw with a depth block to stop 1mm short of the track!

7F5E12B0-A0C8-4164-8017-46ABA40E161E.jpeg.13d026919b79a6682fef42c86ba884f2.jpeg

C7905916-6AA5-47F4-86AF-0F379FC95ACF.jpeg.6a2aa2e7fcef8fbbb44c61182d1b72ed.jpeg

36814BD0-D964-4841-B0A5-3A3A246A9C97.jpeg.dd8db77a3e8c1209f77ab019e7b575e7.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I’ve used kadees on Industrivej successfully since it was built and previously on my US layout Wherlock Mill. For European stock I find them an acceptable compromise between functionality and neat appearance. I would add a couple of additional points to the previous posts.

Firstly, NEM pocket mounted kadees can sometimes deflect the wrong way when uncoupling, I push them back the right way with a shunter’s pole (barbecue skewer). It appears to be caused by having two joints in the same plane, body mounted couplers are less prone to this issue. 

For body mounting I use long shank 20 series couplers if there is enough room behind the buffer beam or 30 series of the installation space is tight https://www.kadee.com/coupler.htm

Paul mentioned the “roll together” issue over fixed magnets, I have put a small piece of black foam pressing on the axle of the most free running wagons which helps, another option may be Rapido’s Rail Crew uncoupler which is available from Rails of Sheffield.

Good  luck with the project - look forward to seeing progress.

4AE210BE-A642-4A2C-A74C-22F2BD2E3D10.jpeg

0E27143C-A465-47C1-A422-13147A766EA2.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for the insights - much appreciated.

Have ordered a sample pack from Peters to experiment with as the pack seems to be designed to cover all the bases.

As was mentioned, they seem an acceptable compromise visually and at the moment - the specific project will be single buffers so one less problem. Having access to 3D printing and a resin printer shortly, I may be able to devise some bespoke devices to attach them neatly.

The idea of movable magnets is interesting - may well experiment with them attached to a servo to operate from the laptop.

The Whisker type need the dedicated gearboxes in order to function correctly.  #242 (standard), #252 (small), or #262 (narrow).  These are fixed with a single screw.  The height needs to be such that the trip pin clears the top of the rail by a mm or so.  Trip pins can be bent up or down as necessary.  The standard height for HO and On30 is the same and happens to match the height when installed on the Peco O-16.5 kits which was designed for their Simplex coupling.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

#242 (standard), #252 (small),

Thanks - there is one sprue of each in the kit but not the 262. Looking forward to experimenting with this.

On 07/09/2020 at 12:33, PaulRhB said:

Unfortunately there is no N gauge Kadee NEM version so with HOm you’re stuck with gluing kadees to shapeways adapters. 

I remeber seeing on Shapeways some guy in the US that was trying to develop a series of adaptors for Bemo stock to take Kadees but nothing happened with them for years so I gave up waiting and went with uncoupling ramps and servo motors

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, warbonnetuk said:

I remeber seeing on Shapeways some guy in the US that was trying to develop a series of adaptors for Bemo stock to take Kadees but nothing happened with them for years so I gave up waiting and went with uncoupling ramps and servo motors

yes he’s got them done now but they aren’t cheap!

On 07/09/2020 at 08:11, PaulRhB said:

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, warbonnetuk said:

went with uncoupling ramps and servo motors

That's where I am currently but want to see if the Kadee's do a better job.

25 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

yes he’s got them done now but they aren’t cheap!

When I get my resin printer - and understand Kadee's -  I will explore making something.

• Like 2