Toad Tool Van Conversion - DW50

I wonder if anyone could assist in identifying the diagram of the ex-GWR Toad, converted to run as a Tool Van with the Newton Abbot Breakdown Train, as seen in this 03 July 1957 image.

Crane_8_&_DW50.jpg.978bd011e507aa99f4529c1100c484b2.jpg

Admittedly it is only partially visible seen attached to Cowans Sheldon 15-ton Crane No.8, but this may be enough for some of you GWR Wagon Guru's to offer an identity. It appears to be numbered DW50 and my trawls of the usual source material has thus far drawn a blank.

Any information or opinion would be most appreciated.

Kind regards,

Andy.

Andy,

I think it's a difficult one from that angle with only part of the side visible.

It would be an open verandah type originally as it has the 'ledge' where the top of the sides was - closed verandah types (like tunnel vans) didn't have it.

The panel under where the verandah was is metal - A lot if early Toads had wooden planks there but many had metal sheeting added later on so it doesn't narrow it down at all. 

I thought that the bufferbeam shape would help (rectangular the same width as the end) but it turns out all Toads seem to have this type - you learn something new every day.

So - sorry I can't be much help. I wouldn't even want to say 20' or 24' length but more likely to be the latter due to build dates and longevity.

Will

• Thanks 1

Thanks Will,

I agree with all your points, it has definitely had an open verandah enclosed, in addition to a stable type door added. I initially thought a 20 footer, going on the width of the rectangular handrails, but the angle of the photo could be giving a compressed illusion.

My main hope is that someone may have a listing of the Departmental Stock numbers and DW50 would give away its origin.

Regardless, thanks for your reply.

Regards,

Andy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would guess, as Miss Prism suggests, a BR conversion. I can't find DW50 but DW65 was a converted AA3 in the BR period so a good starting point might be the Oxford Rail example. I finished a mess and tool van version just recently. It's not the same as the Newton Abbot van - the bottom step board looks to be intact; the stable doors and other details differ but there was a family similarity to these conversions.

Hywel

IMG_6331.JPG

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Thank you Andy! If you do decide to tackle one there are some photos of that conversion on this month's Updates page on the emgauge70s website:

http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/model_omwb171.html

Let me know if you need to know anything.

All the best,

Hywel

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I have managed to find another photograph of Tool Van DW50, taken on 04 Dec 1955.

This to me looks like a converted AA3, with the veranda boarded-in and centre windows added.....any further thoughts?

Regards,

Andy.

DW 50.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Andy,

It looks like a 20' toad from that angle.

The ten diagrams that were the 20' toads were AA1-6, 9, 10, 12 & 14.

I think we can discount tunnel, P-way and ballast Van's, which leaves AA1-3.

AA1 6w goods brake van 62 built 1900-02

AA2 4w goods brake van 278 built 1902-10

AA3 4w goods brake van 840 built 1889-1901

I'll have to dig out some books to see the difference between AA2 and AA3 which it is more likely to be by numbers built.  I'm not sure if I want to call it as definitely a 4wheel van - that platform is right in the way.

Hope this helps

Will

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WillCav said:

I'm not sure if I want to call it as definitely a 4wheel van - that platform is right in the way.

Will,

This enlargement from a slightly different angle, I think shows it to be a 4-wheel van. There is no evidence of springs below the centre of the solebar.

Andy.

DW50 Close Up.jpg

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Andy M said:

Will,

This enlargement from a slightly different angle, I think shows it to be a 4-wheel van. There is no evidence of springs below the centre of the solebar.

Andy.

DW50 Close Up.jpg

Agreed - got to be AA2 or AA3.

Just checked Atkins Beard etc. AA2 was the same body as AA3 but with heavier axleboxes and springs. Difficult to spot on these pictures.

Edited by WillCav
Adding section on AA2/3 differences
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 minutes ago, B15nac said:

Are you going to model it Andy?

Regards Neil

Hi Neil,

Yes that is the plan. I've known about it's existence for a number of years, along with another departmental toad that lived at Newton Abbot, but have had difficulties obtaining decent images to get the required details.

I have an Oxford Rail AA3 Toad already re-gauged to EM, that will be the donor vehicle. I think I now have enough info to make a start, and as with many things, corrections can be made later if more images come to light.

This will be the last piece in my Newton Abbot Breakdown Train jigsaw, to go with Ransomes & Rapier 36-ton Crane No.3, Cowans Sheldon 15-ton Crane No.8, Mess Van DW103, Tool Van DW141and Riding Van DW215. That said, I may look at adding GW Standard 6-ton Crane No.57 (used by the Mechanical & Electrical Engineers Department) at some point in the future.

Regards,

Andy.

• Like 1

All sounds very nice I desperately want a Ransomes & Rapier 36-ton Crane that would be my dream. I'm looking forward to the Oxford rail Cowans Sheldon 15-ton Crane tho I'm hoping to make that number 8.

Regards Neil

On 17/09/2020 at 09:22, HGT1972 said:

I would guess, as Miss Prism suggests, a BR conversion. I can't find DW50 but DW65 was a converted AA3 in the BR period so a good starting point might be the Oxford Rail example. I finished a mess and tool van version just recently. It's not the same as the Newton Abbot van - the bottom step board looks to be intact; the stable doors and other details differ but there was a family similarity to these conversions.

Hywel

IMG_6331.JPG

Your red vertical section of vacuum pipe indicates that the van is vacuum braked. Is that the case?

If not the vertical section should be white for a through piped vehicle not fitted with vacuum brakes.