DIY Coach Lighting - some questions

Sir TophamHatt

I'll probably keep coming back to this thread as I progress.

My knowledge of basic electronics is woeful but this is why I'm looking to DIY, so I can learn more.

Running DCC.

Plan to have up to 8 coaches per rake and perhaps two or three rakes on the layout at one time.

I have a list of components but have stumbled at the first one:

Bridge Rectifier:

The 12v (maybe it's 16v?) or so that runs through my tracks... does this mean I need a bridge rectifier that is higher than the volts from the rails? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes and to be honest, I struggled to find one less than 200v or so.

But what about amps. Found one that looks okay but it says 0.8/1 amp - what does this mean?

There's also a 1amp one here that is slightly cheaper. I guess if the above one is suitable, this will be too? 

Capacitor:

While quite over what I may need, this 16v 2200uf version should be okay to use? this 25v 2200uf version seems to fit the bill.

Cheers.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt

STH

Have a look at this post.

It gives the specifications (and Rapid Electronics part numbers) together with some pix so that you can see how it goes together.

Regarding the cap, yes a 16V or better still a 25V in preference to a 12V.

Regarding resistors, the bog-standard 1/4 watt metal metal-film resistors will do just fine - such as these from ebay (£0.99 for 20 / free p&p)

Depite what Suzie said in reply to my post, the DI202 DIP Bridge Rectifier is fine for DCC use. [DIP means 'Dual In-line Pin' - a flat, rectangular package with legs sticking out of the sides]

I use it and encounter no problems.

Art

Edited by Art Dent
  • Thanks 1

On 06/09/2020 at 11:07, Art Dent said:

Regarding resistors, the bog-standard 1/4 watt metal metal-film resistors will do just fine - such as these from ebay (£0.99 for 20 / free p&p)

Thank you so much - just what I needed!

I guess I need the 220R resistors from the list?

Or will 200R be okay? 

Edited by Sir TophamHatt

If you put 16v AC (but some DCC systems are a few volts higher) into a bridge rectifier you'll lose a couple of volts over that and get about 13v DC out of it.

You haven't said and I think you implied it, but I hope you do mean LED lighting, not incandescent bulbs. 

A couple of dozen coaches using old fashioned bulbs would be quite a current draw.

If you are using capacitor flicker-free system such as Art suggests, definitely not 12v and I wouldn't trust 16v capacitor either on DCC, go for the 25v as he suggest.  Flicker is perfectly reasonable if you're modelling a oil fired tail lamp.

The 220R isn't critical and is there to limit recharging rate.  Purpose of the 3K3 is to limit current through the LED, and you might need a different value if you use other LEDs.  You shouldn't have trouble getting either as they are standard values, but I would go higher rather than lower in both cases in case of difficulty.

Edited by Michael Hodgson
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

The 220R isn't critical and is there to limit recharging rate.  

So I could potentially skip using that one?

Would that potentially trip the power controller as a sudden rush of 8 coaches filling their capacitor at the same time could be seen as a short? But then I guess 1000uF isn't that big - just hope it's big enough for what I'm looking for.