Dates needed for when the line between Sleaford and Boston was partly singled.

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering if anyone knows when the line between Sleaford and Heckington, as well other parts of the line between Hubbert’s Bridge and Boston were singled?  Also, I’ve noticed that sections are signalled with both semaphore and MAS.  I was wondering if the MAS signalling was installed on the remaining double track sections and the singled remained controlled by semaphore?

Can't help with definite dates I'm afraid but before about 1985 I think. That's when I first took my son on days out to Skegness behind pairs of class 20s and other locos.

Regarding MAS and semaphores it's a right old mix, Sleaford is MAS apart from a couple of shunt signals on what are now Pway sidings. I understand it was to be included in the Lincoln area resignalling but when one of the big infrastructure companies collapsed it was left high and dry, still controlled from east and west boxes, with a barrier crossing at the east end and wound gates at the west! The west end semaphores were replaced with colour lights when the joint line was 'reinvented' although I would need to check where they're controlled from.

Heckington is mostly semaphore but with a colour light as it's eastbound section signal.

Hubberts bridge and Boston are similarly mixed, as is Bellwater junction but Thorpe Culvert is all colour lights with a rebuilt box.

Skegness is pure semaphore.

Forgot Sibsey which is all colour lights with manual gates!

Edited by great central
Missing word
  • Like 1

Here are the dates for singling Heckington-Boston and Boston-Sibsey. MAS came later.

WON 18N/1981

SUNDAY 3 MAY 1981 - BETWEEN HUBBERTS BRIDGE AND BOSTON WEST STREET

Wyberton signal box will be reduced in status to a Gate box.

The line between Hubberts Bridge and Boston West Street will be converted to a Single Line worked in accordance with the Track Circuit Block (Single Line) regulations.

The single line (using for the most part the former Down Main Line) will extend from the crossover adjacent to Sleaford Sidings Ground Frame (which will be worked at the Up Main end only from Boston West Street signal box) to a new double to single line connection (worked at the Up Main end only by Hubberts Bridge signal box).

A disc signal operated from Sleaford sidings ground frame and applying towards Sleaford Sidings will be elevated 6ft above rail level on the post of this signal. (Sleaford Sidings ground frame will now only operate this disc signal and the slip points leading to Sleaford Sidings).

WON 15N/1981 SPK

SUNDAY 12 APRIL 1981 - BETWEEN BOSTON GRAND SLUICE AND SIBSEY

Maud Foster and High Ferry signal boxes will be reduced in status to Gateboxes.

The Down Main will be slued into the Up Main immediately north of Boston station.

The Down Main between Boston Grand Sluice (Boston station slue) and Sibsey will be converted to a single line worked in accordance with the Track Circuit Block (single line) Regulations. The redundant Up Main will be subsequently removed.

Intermediate level crossings:-

Boston Grand Sluice will supervise the following level crossings:-

Tattershall Road, Robin Hoods Walk, Red Cap Lane.

Maud Foster gatebox will continue to supervise Pilleys Lane and Willoughby Road.

Sibsey will supervise the following level crossings:-

Wells Lane, Hurn Lane No. 1, Hurn Lane No. 2, High Ferry Lane, Wards Dyke.

These are the original Weekly Operating Notice texts with most of the signalling details omitted.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

As I’m attempting to model Heckington, if I set it from mid 80’s to present day, I should be okay?  The only problem with that is the present day starter on the westbound platform is very modern.  Does anyone know when and why it was replaced?

5 hours ago, jools1959 said:

As I’m attempting to model Heckington, if I set it from mid 80’s to present day, I should be okay?  The only problem with that is the present day starter on the westbound platform is very modern.  Does anyone know when and why it was replaced?

At a guess 5 or 6 years ago, I've been working through there as a guard, so should notice these things, for the last 13 years.

But it's surprising how you lose track of time when you're seeing the same thing all the time, you notice when something is different but that soon becomes the new normal.

• Like 1