Laser card kit cutting

NinOz

I have read several threads about using mechanical cutting (eg silhouette) for DIY card kits such as Scalescene .

Has anyone seen anything about using laser cutters to cut out DIY card kits?

Sort of print A4 page, scan and create a cut file, mount page on card stock, somehow register page with laser cutter and then cut with laser?

Certainly doable, though I haven't yet tried it. The Emblaser can apparently do this. I did find a couple of tutorials online covering how to get the register right, and the Lightburn software that comes with the machine has a "Print and Cut" setting for this purpose, although, not having played with it, I'm not 100% on what it does.

• Thanks 1

Certainly possible, but I think registration would be challenging. Be prepared for many attempts!

Lightburn relies upon having what is basically a webcam mounted above the laser for things like this. Lightburn do sell one that works well, but I think it's been affected by the global surge in demand for webcams now we're all working from home! I think the Emblazer has this feature built in - but then it is about 10x the cost of most other diode lasers!

Obviously the quality of the webcam optics becomes a factor, as well as the quality of the laser cutter's own optics and tracking.