Dapol Class 29 running problems

Deborail

Hi Friends 

I have recently Purchased a Dapol Class 29 to which I fitted a Dapol Imperium 21-pin decoder...the locomotive was running well for a week or two but now it has developed a problem. While running it stops and the lights remain on but at half intensity. A faint sound is heard from the motor. Nudging it sometimes causes it to move again but then it stops at another location...

i have tried covering the decoder with insulation tape lest there is some Unwanted contact With the main board but this has not solved the issue. The decoder fits snuggly on to the pins. I do not see any short circuit effects - rather a poor contact somewhere. I am not sure what this may be. It must be electrical or dirt related although I haven’t been able to see this. 

please advise. 

• RMweb Gold

The Imperiums aren't the most high quality decoders around so I'd agree with the above, remove decoder and test on DC and see how it goes.

If its fine on DC I'd get a £20 Zimo decoder to replace the Imperium.

If its not fine on DC then back to the shop it goes for replacement.

• 2 months later...

Further experiments showed that in dc and in DCC using either a imperious or a ESU decoder the loco has a problem. It draws a lot of current starting at 300 mA then in a few seconds going up to and settling to 1A which is really excessive. Then it stops. The lights flicker faintly. The current drops to zero. The decoder probably shuts itself down. Next power up the cycle repeats. Examination of the PCB has not shown anything abnormal. 

• 2 weeks later...

When the irregular behaviour starts the current spikes to 1.0 - 1.5A and the DSO across the rails displays this. Then the decoder does it’s protection thing and the current drops back to the normal 100 mA or so. Seeing these seesaws on the waveform can one assume an internal problem in the motor?

BC8CE438-A6BE-4BBD-A201-647F02C9180C.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Mmm?. I was given a Dapol class 29, (D) 6107 for Christmas and unfortunately it too is a poor runner on both DC and DCC.  I have fitted an Imperium decoder.  It judders and stutters. Refuses to start sometimes.  I really am very disappointed with Dapol mechanisms and would not have selected this loco out of choice. Fortunately I have the receipt so may send it back for something else from Bachmann or Hornby. 

I have four Westerns that waddle and 2 class 22s that run OK and 2 class 121 DMUs that take some warming up.

Dapols advertising promises so much but delivers very little.