The Bickley Central Mk 2

bickybtrains

As with all model railway layouts, the fun is building them.  Over the last couple of years I have been renovating my house.  I now only have the basement left to renovate.  Although I have enjoyed my present layout, it does have some short comings.  The opportunity is to  build my ultimate layout.   Our basement is in need for a refurbishment, the laundry room is dingy and dark.  The basement was not fully insulated and has a cold floor.  It also only has one window.  Being in the renovation business allows me to rectify most of the problems, new windows in concrete and meeting fire code is a specialty that my company does.  So with pencil in hand I have drawn up a rough sketch of the project at hand. So here comes The New and improved Bickley Central.  20200906_020006.jpg.453cde0c14dc322df28051eaa6f6342d.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm  glad I have a workshop to work in,  I have started building the helix module for the layout.  It a big one to say the least, over 6 foot wide.  I  going to keep the grade to less than 2 %.  You could smell the brain cells burning figuring it all out.   I'm glad I have an electronic level.  But boy my floors in the shop are not level so it has been a bit of a challenge.  Photos to follow.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The first module I have started is the helix.  A 5 track helix,  what a monster it is going to be.  I added another loop for the colliery so that full trains can come out of the colliery and empty ones go in.  Staying with in my 2 percent grade I believe I will need 5 levels, possibly 6.  I cannot do much more on this module until I have it installed in my basement.  So I will start the next module.  I have also painted the plywood white, makes things a little easier on the eyes  when crawling under the layout to fix anything.  The legs I painted black.

20210215_191116.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

This is how the layout room looks right now.  All the drywall is up, just a day or two of sanding.  Then painting and electrical.  After that flooring and hanging doors.  Then I can get to work building my model railway empire. The whole layout will be modular so that it can be taken down with little damage.   My wife hints on us buying a nice bungalow someday.  

20210215_210637.jpg

• Like 8

Started the other module, I figured out the height of the helix, so I can continue building the other modules.  The large 2 x 2 will be attached the wall, it will have the back scene attached to it.  The lower back scene will be curved, literally following the curve of the support bracket.  The material I'm using for the baseboard is 3/4" furniture grade plywood, all glued and screwed.  All the legs have height adjustment pads so I can do the final leveling in the basement.  

20210217_210131.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Hi bickybtrains,

If you are happy that every time a train leaves the station, it has to go down the helix, then ok.

My layout was like that and I soon wanted to just watch the trains go around the scenic section and not have to go up and down the helix every lap. 

Just something to think about before you go too far.

P.S. has taken me 3 months so far, to alter the layout to change it to the new version........and still not complete!

Mick

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Thanks for the comment.  I revised my plan numerous times, the new layout follows the foot print of my old layout, with about 10 feet added on one leg.  I will post the revised track plan later this week.  I'm not to worried about the trains going into the helix after leaving the station, the station is about 20 feet from the start of the helix.  

• 3 weeks later...

And so it begins, I spent the evening installing the baseboard modules.  My wife came down and just looked around and said I should make the layout smaller and have s nice guest room.  I looked at her with a face of disdain, the dog looked at us and ran upstairs.  

20210312_210702.jpg

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

A real work of art, William and that’s just the woodwork!

Sometimes the skill in producing such quality work is overlooked when compared to other aspects of our hobby.

Really looking forward to watching this develop.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1