The Bickley Central Mk 2

bickybtrains

So I'm back at wiring, still got a ton to do.  I have four power distrcts, so hopefully it all works well when finished.  Doing the testing on the helix was a relief since I have no issues with the wiring there.  I was expecting a few glitches on the helix, however I guess I kept all the polarities correct.  Good thing to have is a red and black marker to mark the polarities of the track.  I did have a bit of an issue in the storage sidings.  All the points were done wrong, I  had Reversed the polarities on them.  It was an evenings work fixing up that SNAFU.  All the droppers are in, the main bus wires are in, just got to get all the electronic gadgetry sorted out.  Tomorrow I'm going to work on the colliery and start working on the buildings that were salvaged from my last layout.   My plan is to have the layout running by Christmas.  

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

When I do points wiring, I use test leads (alligator clips) until I'm sure I have all the bits right.  You may have to buy out all the Radio Shacks in town to get enough for that layout.

I use an alligator clip lead  attached to a nine volt battery.  Since I am using tortose motors, its easy to see if they work.  It gets a bit tricky for the polarity of the points since I'm using the internal switch of the tortose to do the frog polarity.  I have terminal strips in easy to reach spots on  the layout where the wiring of the tortose motors terminate, so it easy to trouble shoot.  The long retaining wall at the terminus station is split into three,  they are held in place by magnets.  Behind those walls are the terminal strips that connect up to the tortose motors.  Im trying to have all the wiring at eye level or at a comfortable seat level.  

Edited by bickybtrains
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On my old layout I had a coal mine, and to continue with that tradition I going to have one on the Bickley Central.  This time it will be a full blown model with both up and down cast shafts.  I will have one of the headgear working.  A bunch of pulleys and motors should do the trick.  20211003_175851.jpg.0f4eafa3b93d17d80359838c5563c8cd.jpg

• Like 3

I have been working on the coal mine as a mini project.  Taking a rest from wiring.  I have managed to figure out the MGR loading facility.  Got to do s bit of track work to accommodate  the screens.  Overall I'm pleased on how it is working out.

This is the MGR loading facility

20211009_212745.jpg.d9233afa4aa052a2878323956d102623.jpg

Overall view of the coal mine showing both up cast and downcast shafts.

20211009_212719.jpg.15ae0e171b4c90ac3d3616bf38b1356e.jpg

A class 47 and MGR wagons testing the clearance at the loading hopper.

20211009_212847.jpg.41a8c7e3a5ff4c0624310d32f578b0f4.jpg

Edited by bickybtrains
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Mr. B

Do you remember the CNE before Ontario Place existed?  The Ontario Government building had a cross section of a mine. It worked; cars moved back and forth and were loaded and emptied.

The product was ball bearings.

3 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Mr. B

Do you remember the CNE before Ontario Place existed?  The Ontario Government building had a cross section of a mine. It worked; cars moved back and forth and were loaded and emptied.

The product was ball bearings.

I don't remember that, I do plan to have a cross section of the mine below the helix, showing tunnels, etc.....  saw a guy do a gold mine on you tube.  The MGR loader will have empties go in and full one come out.  The empty train will travel down the helix to the lower sidings  The lower sidings have a connection to the helix on loop 5.  That loop is dedicated to the coal mine.  I have a backscene showing a power station in the distance.  So it will look like that train just came from that power station.  Subsequently a full MGR train will travel up the helix and exit the loading hopper full.  It will give the impression of a working loader.  I'll set up an adreno sound system to have sound of the MGR wagons being loaded, also one of the shafts will be operational. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/09/2021 at 02:05, bickybtrains said:

Running some trains on the helix to determine its capacity.  My Bachmann class 25 can handle an 8 coach train on the inner loop of the helix, without slipping.  So my capacity for passenger trains is 8 coaches I guess.  I wasn't planning of running larger trains than that anyway.  Pretty chuffed that my wiring on the helix is OK.  Now to the arduous task of wiring the whole latout.  I have most of the droppers in place, all the fish plates soldered.  I still got a pile of tortose motors to install and wire up.  All in all this part of the project is going to be a  headache.  

Hello. I’ve been following and very much enjoying this thread. Can I applaud the speed and quality of your build. You’re 18 months in and I would say you are very much keeping to your 3 year anticipated timescale! I’ve achieved less in 11 years, on a layout half this size ( envious!) , but that’s family and work life for you. 
I wanted to ask which magician you used to wire up your helixes? Mine are only 2 tracks wide and I ensured that I wired them up as track laying proceeded. How on earth did you mange to solder the middle track of the 5 roads, with such limited headroom? Presumably you ran  one or more busses up the structure somewhere?  I laid mine between the tracks, to keep the headroom clear below. I use Scotchloks for bus connections, but I’m guessing yours are all soldered as that would take up less room. 
Good to see that you can run your stock up the helix without issues. I’m all diesel like you, but installed power-base on the uphill roads as a bit of future-proofing to potentially accommodate visiting kettles.

All the best.

WB 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Took a rest from wiring and played with the storage yard.  Trying to figure out the capacities of each siding.  Still a bit to go before I can start playing trains.  The longest train I can accommodate looks like 11 coaches.  The goods siding can accommodate up to 17 wagons.  

20211209_220245.jpg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

So COVID did play havoc with my plans.  My Wife came down with it over Christmas, she was quite sick but we managed to stay out of Hospital.  I was OK three shots, and a possible early exposure at the start of this pandemic seems to have made me better equipped to deal with it.  

So I did manage to do a bit more work on the layout.  

Here are the vital Statistics on the layout.

I have nearly 1300 ft of track laid

88 points laid

88 tortoise motors installed.

Most of the wiring done, all labeled with colour coded labels. 

I have wired up most of my BDL's for track detection.

I will start wiring up all the tortoise motors to stationary decoders.

I have drawn up so far 4 minic panels. 

I have started working on my station announcer and power point arrivals and departure board.   I used power point that is timed to a fast clock and as it goes through its motions an announcer announces the trains.  

I will then display this on a LCD screen near the terminus station.

I anticipate to having trains running in about three months.   Right now just test trains over certain sections.

William

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I should have added that I used a program developed by Philip Hawkes called train announcement.  I just imported the wav files to a power point presentation that shows a typical departure board.  As the presentation starts to run the announcements start corresponding to the slide that is showing.  

1314821142_departureboard.png.15bc0ae9f9bd263ba59eda04a434c287.png

Edited by bickybtrains
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To keep me on track ( pun not intended)  I have resumed wiring on the Bickley Central.   Every so often I just have to do something else than trying to wire up all the track and point motors so this week I have also resumed a bit of modeling and scenery work.  There is a method in my madness and that is to get the boxes of building and supplies reduced so that I don't have to move them as often.  Also with such a big layout it helps break up the monotony of always doing one thing.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Some other little additions to the ongoing project in my basement.20220218_210613.jpg.15a08ca1b03f8e2e9939664fbdce1fd1.jpg

A folding work bench.

20220218_210632.jpg.cab0a7bdf51c8f4abcff6c44f372c548.jpg

It folds out of the way and it's on wheels, so I can roll it anywhere in the layout room.

Also I bought a drawer set to store my stock.20220218_210650.jpg.fd5526b663ef6c792f416df8bce3aaac.jpg

20220218_210656.jpg.9d389b1ca80825e6b37ed9e371e39129.jpg20220218_210702.jpg.a67213e60c826cc4d86d3038f522030e.jpg

I bought these at Michael's craft store.

Edited by bickybtrains
  • Like 6

• 2 months later...