Hornby CLOCKWORK TINPLATE LOCO NEEDS REPAIR

TEAMYAKIMA

Hello 

A friend of mine at work has asked me for help. Her father has inherited an O gauge tinplate railway from his father.

Included is a broken 0-4-0 loco.

I know nothing about O tinplate and so I come to RMweb for help. I have not seen the loco myself but she has sent me this photo.

Here is the chassis. Her father thinks/assumes that the spring has split.

IMG_20200905_230449.jpg.9cc7023103e95353def4a1aa14ee795e.jpg

Questions

1. Can anyone guess the actual problem - ie does this problem look familiar?

2. Can a spare part be sourced?

3. If so could an average non-modeller make the repair?

4. If not is there anyone out there who can?

Thanks for any help

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1

I’m not a clockwork expert, but my guess is that the spring has come free from the winding arbour, either because it has snapped (commonly happens where the end of the spring is folded sharply to fit into the arbour), or because it has slipped out.

If it is this, either case can be fixed at home by someone who has tools (including a small torch to anneal a spring prior to bending) and is a bit ‘handy’, otherwise it’s best taken to a clock-repairer (a few still exist) or to an HRCA meeting where someone with the knack will doubtless be present.

If it’s what I think it is, the loco is a very common one, so parts are not hard to obtain, and it may actually be cheaper to buy an entire new loco than to use a professional clock-repairer, but the mech looks to be in generally VGC so a Hornby fanatic would probably welcome it - too good to throw away.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another thing that happens with clockwork mechanisms is that the sprung detent that stops the wound up spring from unwinding may have gone faulty. e.g. it's spring is broken, it's worn so not locking in place, it's broken etc.

• Agree 2

40 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

the mech looks to be in generally VGC so a Hornby fanatic would probably welcome it - too good to throw away.

Thanks for the advice. The person is not an enthusiast per se  , they just want to keep it and run it as a family heirloom.

If it the detente spring, rather than a broken main spring, they are very easy to fix.

If you can wind it up, i.e. the main spring coils-up when wound, but it promptly unwinds itself as soon as you let go of the key, that indicates a detente problem.

If you can turn the winding arbour, can feel no spring resistance, and the spring stays uncoiled, that indicates a main spring problem.

18 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

If it the detente spring, rather than a broken main spring, they are very easy to fix.

If you can wind it up, i.e. the main spring coils-up when wound, but it promptly unwinds itself as soon as you let go of the key, that indicates a detente problem.

If you can turn the winding arbour, can feel no spring resistance, and the spring stays uncoiled, that indicates a main spring problem.

I have asked the person to let me have the loco and I will see the problem in the flesh. Then I will be able to report back.

Thanks again for your interest

The main springs tend to break next to the winding arbour. It needs to be removed with great care and the end retempered. Heat the end in a gas ring and allow to cool. (I have seen both red hot and blue recommended but it possibly doesn't matter as the idea is to soften the metal so that it can be easily bent. and refitted in the arbour. Then just wind it back in....

I emphasise 'great care' as the spring is vicious!

I've done two - an M1 broken next to the arbour and a No. 1 broken in the middle. The latter works OK but her length of run is much reduced (as you would expect).

New springs are available. I saw £20 quoted, but it was some time ago.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GRASinBothell said:

A quick check in the HRCA (Hornby Railway Collectors Association) spares directory found spare springs at £5.50.

I'm intrigued by the "TEAMYAKIMA" name. Are you in Eastern Washington?

Gordon

Hello Gordon

Thanks for that.

As I have said I am not into tinplate myself and my friend's father is merely trying to restore a family treasure rather than start serious  collecting. So is that spare spring available to non-members of the HRCA?

TEAMYAKIMA - visited Washington in 1981 and saw the name YAKIMA - liked it. Built an American logging layout - called it The Yakima Valley RR. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi - not sure if the spring ever got fixed - hope so :-) 

I've recently taken on the supply of Hornby Springs for the HRCA - and am able to cover most Bassett Lowke as well as clockwork boats - so far I've fixed Hornby and Kellner.

If anyone needs a spring for any of their tinplate treasures please get in touch. Ideally all I'll need is length/ thickness & width.

My interest is in getting old toys back running. I've found that most clockwork mechanisms are really well engineered and that most springs are better for being used.  My best runner remains my Uncle's Hornby No2 loco from 1929 - still with it's original spring. They will all run 40 metres/ 120 feet and a lot will run 60 metres/ 180 feet with a couple of bogie coaches or 5-6 goods wagons  - plenty long enough for any layout to replicate real railway operation.

Please just ensure the mechanism is fully unwound before it's put away after use. 

• Like 1

Yes, I’ve got a c1928 No.2 tank with original spring, and after minor tweaks that is still a very long and decently strong runner. My No.2 tender engine unfortunately has a very tired spring, so maybe while I’ve got it in bits for clean-up and a possible repaint I should treat it to a new one.

• Agree 2

• 6 months later...
On 06/09/2020 at 07:42, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Hello 

A friend of mine at work has asked me for help. Her father has inherited an O gauge tinplate railway from his father.

Included is a broken 0-4-0 loco.

I know nothing about O tinplate and so I come to RMweb for help. I have not seen the loco myself but she has sent me this photo.

Here is the chassis. Her father thinks/assumes that the spring has split.

IMG_20200905_230449.jpg.9cc7023103e95353def4a1aa14ee795e.jpg

Questions

1. Can anyone guess the actual problem - ie does this problem look familiar?

2. Can a spare part be sourced?

3. If so could an average non-modeller make the repair?

4. If not is there anyone out there who can?

Thanks for any help

Did you ever manage to fix the clockwork mechanism? I have one of these with a broken mechanism I'd like to fix it anyone can help me?

PXL_20230617_130303874.jpg