Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

A Petition

• RMweb Gold

From time to time a little bit of humour permeates the modelling, prototype and technical topics. Some of it makes one laugh out loud, some of it generates a smile and some of it makes one want to groan.

There is a row of emoji thingies that we have available to us for demonstrating our reactions to posts of all types, but there is a significant omission. We cannot express our groan reaction. Well, not in public anyway.

I think that we should have access to a "Groan" button to augment the recently provided "Round of applause" one. What say you?

• Like 5
  • Agree 11

• Moderators

I have read some of the isolated requests for such and mused it over. I'm not against coming up with something but what held me back was thinking through how it may be abused (as idiots do) to be used negatively rather than humourously. The existing ones are intended to give a positive reaction but even then the occasional tool will use the Funny in a negative context. I thought about the icon itself too and thought about one like Maurice suggests but that could obviously be used negative!y.

It's worth thinking about and maybe some others which can be used for positive recognition.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

But sometimes it is better to use an icon inappropriately, as it's less confrontational or insulting

than saying what you really think about the tool that's just posted something as a wind-up!

Maybe the hands icon could be animated?

Fast, as applause to be a positive

Slow, as an indication of boredom or displeasure

Edited by jcm@gwr
further explanation
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

But sometimes it is better to use an icon inappropriately, as it's less confrontational or insulting

than saying what you really think about the tool that's just posted something as a wind-up!

Maybe the hands icon could be animated?

Fast, as applause to be a positive

Slow, as an indication of boredom or displeasure

Slow hand clap, I know a joke about that!!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, MAURICE040947 said:

Mick Bonwick wrote

I think that we should have access to a "Groan" button to augment the recently provided "Round of applause" one. What say you?

I agree but think a yawn is easier ti illustrate.

regards from sunny Devonimage.png.61f880863c165a0ae55aa0f9bfc70477.png

image.png.ed96236955743fbe45567fe591c3b79b.png

Whilst this may be easier to represent, it could also convey a sense of being fed up with (I can think of many other connotations where this could be misinterpreted!) the post; not what I  would describe as a groan!

Having trawled the list of emoji offered, perhaps something as simple as a Gn symbol, along the lines of Tx (Thanx) might be an option? Or one of: :biggrin_mini2::rofl: (struck through, maybe?):stop:

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I admit to sometimes using "Informative, useful" when the post patently isn't. 

As do I. Such usage reflects something that it's 'informative', but in fact something you'd never (hopefully) actually do. Reverse

psychology?

I found this example that 2 people selected 'informative/useful' (one of them me). Now I'm sure NO ONE actually wants to test to see how accurate the theory is.

INSTRUCTIONS ON FALLING DOWN STAIRS

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 5

Step 9

Step 15

Step 22

Step 35

Floor

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold

18 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

what you really think about the tool that's just posted something

But we already have an emoji for that:

Ikke-navngivet.jpg.9a7835b6a76e77097f5d7013a2c9642a.jpg

Or have I been using it wrong? 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I have read some of the isolated requests for such and mused it over. I'm not against coming up with something but what held me back was thinking through how it may be abused (as idiots do) to be used negatively rather than humourously. The existing ones are intended to give a positive reaction but even then the occasional tool will use the Funny in a negative context. I thought about the icon itself too and thought about one like Maurice suggests but that could obviously be used negative!y.

It's worth thinking about and maybe some others which can be used for positive recognition.

I see the predicament.

The clapping hands (no insult about guitarists intended) was a stroke of genius and entirely appropriate for its intended use. I think that whatever is provided will be abused somehow, we can't always anticipate how other people's minds will work.

I suppose there is always the risk of providing too many icons, as well, so I won't be upset if it comes to nowt. Well, not too upset, anyway. :ireful:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I see the predicament.

The clapping hands (no insult about guitarists intended) was a stroke of genius and entirely appropriate for its intended use. I think that whatever is provided will be abused somehow, we can't always anticipate how other people's minds will work.

I suppose there is always the risk of providing too many icons, as well, so I won't be upset if it comes to nowt. Well, not too upset, anyway. :ireful:

Nothing if not magnanimous. 

Since it was my appalling humour that triggered your request, I ought to reveal that, as with much of my humour, it was acquired from another.

About 40 years ago, I had just got a new boss as Area Manager, Dartford. He had come from north of the Thames, having once been SM at Halesworth, where the Southwold Railway had terminated in much earlier times. John used this expression in respect of a letter he had written to the Division, where he knew it would just get buried. Four years later, BR buried Divisions! John and his lady weren't truly comfy in the South, and a few years later he moved again. His last post was Area Manager Preston, where I believe he died in office. Thoroughly decent man, and a good railwayman. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

IF I remember correctly there used to be a "DISLIKE" button, but it was discontinued as some (?)  people got upset when they received a "dislike".

My preference would be for a "TEDIOUS" button, for those occasions when a poster interrupts a thread with an off-topic, or personal bee-in-the-bonnet post.  Now, what would the icon be ?  Maybe a snoring face ?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, boxbrownie said:

No, exclusively for Land Rover owners :bomb_mini:

I'm not getting enough of them then...

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

it was discontinued as some (?)  people got upset when they received a "dislike".

No, it was removed because some people are a-holes and they deserve to have their toys taken off them.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1