00 Smokebox Numberplate transfers

I was wondering if the collective on here could point me in the right direction. I've been trying find a supplier of sheets of Eastern Region 00 smokebox number plate numbers (individual number transfers not whole plates). I can find lots for cabside numbers but not smokebox number.  Does anyone produce these? Is there a gap in the market here? I've tried using BR white coach numbers but the font is wrong. 

Thanks

Steve

I don't think anyone does them. Certainly never been any demand for them as far as I can see.

Modelmaster and a few others do the transfers for the full plate. Usually in packs depending on type of locomotive. Maybe you could chop up those. But I feel it's a bit of a waste of time personally.

https://modelmaster.uk/

But most people use etched plates. Far more realistic and aren't very expensive. You can even get them made to your own number if they don't do it already.

Try 247 Developments, Narrow Planet and Fox. I daresay there are others.

247 are my particular favourites. YMMV.

http://www.247developments.co.uk/index.html

Jason

FWIW I've chopped up the Modelmaster ones for locos that aren't named, and it seems to work fine as long as you take all the component numbers from the same sheet, so the size and font match.

With "namers", purchase of etched plates invaraibly includes a smokebox number plate, often two, so no problems. For GW locos the etched cab side plate sets also seem to come with a smokebox number.

John.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

FWIW I've chopped up the Modelmaster ones for locos that aren't named, and it seems to work fine as long as you take all the component numbers from the same sheet, so the size and font match.

With "namers", purchase of etched plates invaraibly includes a smokebox number plate, often two, so no problems. For GW locos the etched cab side plate sets also seem to come with a smokebox number.

John.

Well there are problems with etched smokebox door number plates. The suppliers sell them with a black background and bare metal numbers, The real numberplates had a black background (except in a few cases where Scottish locos appeared with the regional light blue background) but the numbers themselves were invariably white. So anyone buying an etched smokebox numberplate has to find a way of painting them so that the numbers are white but the background remains black. There are a few ways that appear in RMWeb searches, but none of them really work well for me, maybe someone has a foolproof way.

Why were the real numbers painted white - simple, the numbers were cast iron, if they weren't painted, they'd rust. Same applies to the cabside number plates on some GW pannier tanks, though not all - a minefield!

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Andy W said:

Well there are problems with etched smokebox door number plates. The suppliers sell them with a black background and bare metal numbers, The real numberplates had a black background (except in a few cases where Scottish locos appeared with the regional light blue background) but the numbers themselves were invariably white. So anyone buying an etched smokebox numberplate has to find a way of painting them so that the numbers are white but the background remains black. There are a few ways that appear in RMWeb searches, but none of them really work well for me, maybe someone has a foolproof way.

Why were the real numbers painted white - simple, the numbers were cast iron, if they weren't painted, they'd rust. Same applies to the cabside number plates on some GW pannier tanks, though not all - a minefield!

I'm sure you're correct about the numbers being painted white, as you say they'd rust.

That being said, in all the model locos I've seen with them, either at exhibitions or photographed on here, I can't recall seeing any that the builder/ painter has finished by painting the numbers.

Another flaw in our hobby!

John.

Erm. Have you tried paint? Takes seconds to do.

Some if us have been using name and number plates since the days when they were provided on a sheet of unpainted brass and you had to cut them out yourself with a fretsaw. None of this pre-cut to shape malarkey.

You were also expected to paint any crests. Including those for things like Bulleid Pacifics....

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've taken to dry brushing the raised numbers on engraved smokebox number plates with white paint.  As Jason says, takes seconds to do.  

Mainly because I wanted to be able to read them when the locos are all next to each other in the dimly lit fiddle yard!

I still think they look better than flat ones!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/09/2020 at 08:09, Andy W said:

So anyone buying an etched smokebox numberplate has to find a way of painting them so that the numbers are white but the background remains black. There are a few ways that appear in RMWeb searches, but none of them really work well for me, maybe someone has a foolproof way.

1. Strip the black paint on the supplied plate with cellulose thinners. 

2. Spray the plate satin or gloss (sic. - not matt) white. 

3. Leave to dry thoroughly for a couple of days. 

4. Spray the plate matt black or similar. 

5. When the black has had a few hours to dry, gently rub the surface of the plate with fine sandpaper (1500 or so): the numbers will be revealed in white while the background remains black.   

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 06/09/2020 at 14:57, Steve51769 said:

I was wondering if the collective on here could point me in the right direction. I've been trying find a supplier of sheets of Eastern Region 00 smokebox number plate numbers (individual number transfers not whole plates). I can find lots for cabside numbers but not smokebox number.  Does anyone produce these? Is there a gap in the market here? I've tried using BR white coach numbers but the font is wrong. 

Thanks

Steve

I would recommend Railtec transfers. They come as a 3D printed decal, and to my eye look equally good as most brass Smokebox Numberplates. 

On my CDC 3D printed  J68, for the number plate I used black cartridge paper as the backing and individual HMRS press-fix transfers from their BR sheet, and thin coat of matt varnish. 

I'm not saying its perfect, but I had everything to hand and in the  "good old" model railway fashion, effectively didn't cost anything!

Since taking the photo I've glazed the cab and now awaits weathering. 

Paul 

20200907_195844~2.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve51769 said:

Which HMRS sheet is that PaulG? The ones I have (admittedly many years old) don't have these small numbers.

Steve

Hi Steve

I used HMRS Sheet 15 and accept the 6 is incorrect for the J68 (ie it should by like the B1 photo) but for other locos appears ok, as per photos. I'm sure someone on group will advise on font type.

Paul

20200910_103746.jpg

20200910_115228.jpg

IMG_20191106_131004.jpg

46 minutes ago, PaulG said:

Hi Steve

I used HMRS Sheet 15 and accept the 6 is incorrect for the J68 (ie it should by like the B1 photo) but for other locos appears ok, as per photos. I'm sure someone on group will advise on font type.

Paul

20200910_103746.jpg

20200910_115228.jpg

IMG_20191106_131004.jpg

The standard 'font' for BR smokebox numberplates was BR Gill Sans.

That said, there were fairly widely used alternative 'curly' 6s and 9s;

..... and some early LMR numberplates were cast in the LMS style with serifs.

John Isherwood.