Hornby R4606 Stainer full brake

Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

Quick question 

I ve just bought a Hornby R4606 Stanier 50ft full brake off a well known auction web site.

I ve now come to unboxed the model after leaving it for a few weeks since delivery to find a couple of the roof top vents missing.

Does anyone know if these vents are available as spares? Or does anyone have some spare? 

I suspect there are after market versions of these fittings, but to use those would involved renewing all the vents and most likely a repaint of the roof as well, which l d like to avoid if possible.

Thanks in advance

Bob C

• RMweb Gold

Mine is a Bachmann version, but AFAIK the body tooling is the same from the original Mainline model, and the vents are moulded as part of the body tooling, which is a single piece incorporating sides and ends as well as the roof.  Therefore there are no spare vents, only spare body mouldings, I'm afraid.

Your best bet IMHO is to bite the bullet and order replacement whitemetal cast torpedo vents, which is a shame because these are one of the sharper RTR moulded offerings.  Break the remaining originals off and put them in the spares/come in handy one day/bits and ends box.drawer.  The marks where they have been broken off mark the places to drill the holes for the new vents.  Using a piece of masking or similar tape laid with an edge across the centre of the marks, and then another laid over that to hold the drill steady, drill out the holes, which will (if you use the first piece of tape as a guide line) be in a dead straight line; as there are two lines of vents you will need to do this twice.  Superglue the vents in place, making sure they are properly aligned across the roof, and repaint.

I know you didn't want to repaint the roof but you have to anyway to conceal the marks where the ones that have already broken off were.  You will need to undercoat or prime the whitemetal vents.  I bought cast LMS coach buffers as well when I did mine, which 'lift' the model considerably.  I keep meaning to take the body off and fit a guard's compartment in, and light it, but haven't done so yet!

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Mine is a Bachmann version, but AFAIK the body tooling is the same from the original Mainline model, and the vents are moulded as part of the body tooling, which is a single piece incorporating sides and ends as well as the roof.  Therefore there are no spare vents, only spare body mouldings, I'm afraid.

Nope. The Hornby one is new. Released with the recent-ish LMS coaches.

The way to tell the difference is the Hornby one has the lines on the bodyside* and sprung buffers. It's also much finer detailing wise with things such as wire handrails.

The vents are separate fittings. Although I would be amazed if Hornby sell them as spares. I would look towards Comet/Wizard for replacements.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/69400/hornby_r4606_ex_lms_50_full_brake_m31176m_in_br_blue/stockdetail.aspx

*For when they were lined. Don't remove as they are correct.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1